• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Acts Of Kindness

Texas students raise $250,000 for 80-year-old school janitor forced out of retirement

After Mr James’s rent increased by $400, he had to go back to work, but students raised enough funds for him to retire again

After an 80-year-old janitor had to return to work after his rent was increased, Texas high school students raised more than $250,000 to help him retire.

The janitor, known to students as Mr James, returned to work in January after his rent shot up by $400 a month, according to KDFW. The students at Callisburg high school, about 80 miles (130km) north of Dallas, started their campaign last week and shared it on TikTok, hoping to raise $10,000. As of Friday afternoon, it had received nearly $270,000 from more than 8,000 donors.
“When I saw him in the hall, it broke my heart,” Greyson Thurman, a senior who started the campaign, told KTEN. “Nobody at that age should be working; they should be living the rest of their life, you know?”

James has declined to be interviewed by local outlets. “When we told him, he was kind of like, ‘Dang, that’s alright!’” Marti Yousko, another student who helped launch the campaign, told KDFW. The fundraiser will remain up until noon on Friday.

James’s story underscores the severe financial barriers older Americans face.

Millions of Americans are working into the years when they would typically retire – by 2030, the number of people aged 75 and older in the workforce is expected to grow by 96.5%, according to the US Bureau of Labor and Statistics. People aged 75 and older are the only age group for whom the labor force participation rate is expected to rise over the next decade.

Screenshot_20230630-213531_Facebook.jpg

Well, maybe we have a “fairy godmother “ after all.

My family usually buys their lottery tickets in grocery stores because of bigger counter space and much friendlier customer service representatives.

My older daughter struck up a conversation with a strange woman simply telling the unknown lady that her lottery luck was not good.

A few minutes later the service desk representative gave my daughter around 10 lottery chance tickets paid by this unknown lady.

My daughter was stunned.

So far my daughter has not won a penny.

Back