• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Adventures In Sleep Paralysis

According to my girls, if you can rouse your body sufficiently to wiggle anything, it wakes you up properly and breaks both the paralysis and the dream. So the 'mysterious evil entity' vanishes. Maybe that's why.
The few times I've had it, I've recited the Lord's prayer in my head. This allows me to wake. Trying to move only makes me think I've woken because I feel as if I have moved, but haven't.

I think that it's the thinking action ie focusing on doing something that occupies another part of your conscious brain, that brings you out of the sleep state.

Damn, this has got me thinking about how German rocket fuel would actually have smelt. I've got as far as an (uncorroborated) statement that each rocket was fuelled by ethanol distilled from thirty tone of potatoes. so they ran on (impure/) 100% schnapps or potato vodka - which might indeed have a volatile sweetish smell to it. The decomposition product of ethanol - ethanoic acid - has a sharp, metallic, vinegary smell to it....
I found this odd posting of mine (page six of this thread) from three years ago which came out of nowhere, had no seeming relation at all to anything that was actually being discussed, and which had me thinking "Huh? What was I on when I wrote this? Was I replying to a completely different thread somewhere else?"

I had to solve the mystery. It turns out I was picking up from page one of this thread, from postings made ten years beforehand by board member Maxley, who reported that their experience of SP and possibly lucid dreaming involved German V2 rocket missiles. M referred to the strange and distinctive smell that accompanied their dream-vision of the V2's (presumed to be the rocket fuel used), and remarked that they'd have been worried if anyone could actually turn up evidence that some V2 missiles used a blue camouflage scheme. (implying they were tapping into an objective reality of some sort). So, me being me, I went digging for info, hence the out-of-place posting. (Should have linked it to or quoted the posts I was replying to).

Well, I did pick up this reference to V2 colours.... sorry, Maxley. If it's any consolation to you, this does seem to have been a "minority vote" among V2 camouflage schemes and most of the V2's favoured other paint schemes. (largely to cam them on the ground where they were vulnerable: in the air, it would become irrelevant).

1704762149754.png

I found this odd posting of mine (page six of this thread) from three years ago which came out of nowhere, had no seeming relation at all to anything that was actually being discussed, and which had me thinking "Huh? What was I on when I wrote this? Was I replying to a completely different thread somewhere else?"

I had to solve the mystery. It turns out I was picking up from page one of this thread, from postings made ten years beforehand by board member Maxley, who reported that their experience of SP and possibly lucid dreaming involved German V2 rocket missiles. M referred to the strange and distinctive smell that accompanied their dream-vision of the V2's (presumed to be the rocket fuel used), and remarked that they'd have been worried if anyone could actually turn up evidence that some V2 missiles used a blue camouflage scheme. (implying they were tapping into an objective reality of some sort). So, me being me, I went digging for info, hence the out-of-place posting. (Should have linked it to or quoted the posts I was replying to).

Well, I did pick up this reference to V2 colours.... sorry, Maxley. If it's any consolation to you, this does seem to have been a "minority vote" among V2 camouflage schemes and most of the V2's favoured other paint schemes. (largely to cam them on the ground where they were vulnerable: in the air, it would become irrelevant).

View attachment 72788

The V-2’s fuel consisted of ethanol, liquid oxygen and water. l suppose that - if it smelled of anything - it would have been a hint of booze!

This site seems authoritative, and lists several camouflage schemes as well as the initial black and white “roll” schemes (used purely to determine, from films of test launches, whether the rockets were rotating incorrectly.) None of the paint jobs involved a blue, and it would seem to be an odd choice as the object of the camouflage was to avoid being spotted on the ground, from the air.

Late-production rockets were simply painted overall green/grey.

maximus otter

Back