Adventures In Sleep Paralysis

I vividly remember a dream (whereas normally I forget them instantly on waking) in which I was hanging from the gutter on a building. A spider bit me painfully on a finger, causing me to fall. As per standard procedures, I woke before landing, but my finger was still throbbing from the "bite"... There was no visible damage, and to this day I remain puzzled as to what actually caused the pain.
Wow, that's really wild! Have you had spider bites in waking life? If so, was the sensation the same?

Now that a number of people have posted here about dream pain, I'm starting to think I might be unusual in NOT experiencing such a thing. And I don't perceive hot or cold in dreams, either. Here all along, I've thought I've had vivid dreams. Apparently not!

What I do experience often is lengthy conversations in dreams. Lots of social events, often with people I don't know. It's not unusual to wake up remembering a full comment someone made, or a joke someone told (not that it's all that knee-slappingly funny when awake). I consider myself very fortunate that I've not had sleep paralysis or physical pain in dreams. (Emotional pain, yes, and that can wake me up.)

Krepostnoi

really ought to be translating.
Have you had spider bites in waking life? If so, was the sensation the same?
No, thankfully, I haven't - I'm a recovering arachnophobe, so spider bites hold a peculiar horror for me. That said, until relatively recently, I was living in the UK, where there are very few species capable of puncturing human skin, so it was never really a likely eventuality (and it is therefore unlikely that my sleeping brain interpolated an actual bite into my dream).

OT - My recovery got to the stage where I was actually contemplating acquiring a tarantula - to the extent of agreeing with a dealer to buy a Brachypelma albopilosum juvenile male - but unfortunately my circumstances suddenly changed and I wasn't able to go through with the purchase.

No, thankfully, I haven't - I'm a recovering arachnophobe, so spider bites hold a peculiar horror for me. That said, until relatively recently, I was living in the UK, where there are very few species capable of puncturing human skin, so it was never really a likely eventuality (and it is therefore unlikely that my sleeping brain interpolated an actual bite into my dream).

OT - My recovery got to the stage where I was actually contemplating acquiring a tarantula - to the extent of agreeing with a dealer to buy a Brachypelma albopilosum juvenile male - but unfortunately my circumstances suddenly changed and I wasn't able to go through with the purchase.
Congratulations on the recovery. But sheesh, a tarantula! {{{shudder}}} You're brave. [Definitely an arachnophobe here, but not recovering.]

BeardSprite

Fresh Blood
Hello everyone, 'sort of' new in town (see New Members post here).

I regularly experience episodes of sleep paralysis, so this thread and the subject in general are of particular interest to me!

I won't detail all my 'episodes' here (I'm at work on my lunch break, I don't want to monopolise the thread, and I haven't kept detailed records (though maybe I should!), though if there's interest I'll dredge up and post what I can, but I wanted to share a few observations prompted by recent discussion in this thread:

Re: sleeping on your back. I've experienced sleep paralysis in all sleeping positions - front, back, left side and right side. Most usually right side these days, as that's the side I generally sleep on.

Sleeping on my back or left side is least likely, as I find these positions generally uncomfortable when trying to doze off, and I don't seem to move around a lot in my sleep (unlike my partner, who would appear to be several hundred squirrels inhabiting a Goth suit when she's asleep).

Screaming etc: It's been reported to me that when I'm having an episode, I make weird sounds like I'm trying to speak, shout or scream, but can't. Which tallies with my 'in dream' experience - I'm really trying to cry out one way or another, but can't.

General theme: I'm either being haunted by a vague shadowy figure in the doorway, or 'abducted by aliens' who's presence is only ever implied or evidenced through disembodied voices murmuring reassuring (well, that's the aim, it fails!) telepathic messages.

Occasionally I will feel a hand grab my wrist or ankle, but not very often.

Sometimes there is a 'normal' dream preamble - I'll be walking somewhere, see a light in the sky (always the same, 'ball lightning' leaving angular Tron-like lines in its wake) and go home so as to be 'in' when the experience kicks off.

Or a deceased friend will visit, and we'll be well into our cigarettes and coffee when I'll suddenly realise - "Wait up. You're dead!" and then the paralysis kicks in and the furniture starts to fly around the room, Poltergeist (the movie) style!

I should note I don't believe I'm actually having an abduction experience, its just the form the attendant dream/hallucination sometimes takes.

Nor does the furniature actually fly around (I'm sure witnesses would have reported this had it done so!), although the deceased friend in question was also prone to sleep paralysis in life, and always reported it as 'a horde of Satans little helpers come to drag him to hell'.

Dream pain: I've experienced it in conjunction with sleep paralysis - notably when bitten by a dog (I'm a cynophobe!) on my hand, shot in the neck with a bow and arrow by a ninja (that was an odd one!) and that time I dreamed/hallucinated my big toe exploded (I woke up to find an enormous spot had erupted on it during the night...). In most cases it can be ascribed to having slept on the affected area, and usually resolves as 'pins and needles' upon waking - except with the one about the toe!

I think I'm starting to ramble, so I'll call it done there for now.

These are amazing! Thanks so much for posting that link, Lordmongrove!
Yes, seconded! 2, 11, 15, 19 and 21 are all relatable ;)

pandacracker

Ephemeral Spectre
These are amazing! Thanks so much for posting that link, Lordmongrove!
Seconded. `

I'm mighty glad I looked at that website in the morning and not at night just before bed!!

And I had another, what I call, "anxiety dream" last night (where I do manage to shout out) mentioned in the "creepy dream about darkness" thread.

That's two in a week. I must be worried about something. :freak:

pandacracker

Ephemeral Spectre
Thanks IbisNibs

I had another one last night.

This time I remember the dream, was kinda lucid. I heard something scrabbling around at the foot of my bed and I thought it was a rodent. Decided to make a noise but nothing came out of my mouth so I knew I was having "one of those" dreams. It then went proper dream like, was in an upstairs landing approaching a cupboard that was open, with stuff fallen out on the floor, as I looked around the open door I saw stuff moving all by itself, decided to shout out, struggled to do so (obviously) and then... woke myself up yelling.

Oh, and before all this (or maybe during?) I had the sensation of falling asleep, my body getting heavier, with a kind of gentle but inexorable head-spin and I had the thought "oh, I'm having one of those dreams again". I tried to fight it but in the end decided to go with it because I knew that once I called out the tension would be broken and I'd get back to proper sleep.