• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
They've moved me out of the ACCU. I'm in the same ward but someone more perky needed the telemetry machine to be hooked up to. I'm now in a less severe pod with more beds that stinks of poo.

Still no idea when I am off to Broadgreen. It will likely be Tuesday because it's bank holiday.

I'm still waiting for a decongestant I asked for yesterday morning. I've asked multiple times and they give Bank holiday as an excuse.

@Mr. Banooka- we've been discussing you're unfortunate dilemma here on FTMB (in absolute privacy of course- only 4,600 of us in the meeting) and we have come up with two choices for the festivities following your safe release from captivity hospital- ie a party in your honour. A helicopter will be sent immediately upon your discharge from the asylum. The 'party' options are - one with;

1) Abundant drugs. guns, whiskey and sex or....
2) A nice cup of tea and some cake at a top secret FT location somewhere in deepest Hertfordshire (at @Trevp666's place) .

I'm sure you've realised that myself, @Sollywos, the erstwhile (from FTMB at least) @Swifty, @WeeScottishLassie and @gordonrutter have opted for the first version and everyone else for the second.

(It's your choice, but may I just point out that those Hertforshire tea parties often end in debauchery).

@Mr. Banooka- we've been discussing you're unfortunate dilemma here on FTMB (in absolute privacy of course- only 4,600 of us in the meeting) and we have come up with two choices for the festivities following your safe release from captivity hospital- ie a party in your honour. A helicopter will be sent immediately upon your discharge from the asylum. The 'party' options are - one with;

1) Abundant drugs. guns, whiskey and sex or....
2) A nice cup of tea and some cake at a top secret FT location somewhere in deepest Hertfordshire (at @Trevp666's place) .

I'm sure you've realised that myself, @Sollywos, the erstwhile (from FTMB at least) @Swifty, @WeeScottishLassie and @gordonrutter have opted for the first version and everyone else for the second.

(It's your choice, but may I just point out that those Hertforshire tea parties often end in debauchery).
Is there a "Tea, cake and sex" option? Asking for a friend...

'm sure you've realised that myself, @Sollywos,
Eh what me? I think you must have misunderstood ... or perhaps I didn't make myself clear. My objection to the second option was that I wasn't prepared to make the tea or bake the cakes but that was not meant to imply that I was pro the first. I don't know @Mr. Banooka well enough to share my secret stash of drugs and 'sides he might dislike whiskey as much as I do. True I expressed an interest in a paint gun fight but my attention had wandered by the time you mentioned 'sex', I don't even know what that is so I'd never have agreed to it!

Eh what me? I think you must have misunderstood ... or perhaps I didn't make myself clear. My objection to the second option was that I wasn't prepared to make the tea or bake the cakes but that was not meant to imply that I was pro the first. I don't know @Mr. Banooka well enough to share my secret stash of drugs and 'sides he might dislike whiskey as much as I do. True I expressed an interest in a paint gun fight but my attention had wandered by the time you mentioned 'sex', I don't even know what that is so I'd never have agreed to it!
Ah, I see. Well, I don't know Mr B either, but the thought of him languishing in a hospital in Warrington was too much for me to bear. No man left behind!

Still here, both figuratively and literally.

Asked for toast for breakfast this morning. For the first time they managed to cock it up. Despite asking for warm white toast they brought me cold brown toast. When I asked why I was told "You get what you're given'.

Let's just say I was polite as I could be with my response. Didn't lose my temper or get agitated which I was quite proud of.

I'm still waiting for news on Broadgreen.

Asked for toast for breakfast this morning. For the first time they managed to cock it up. Despite asking for warm white toast they brought me cold brown toast. When I asked why I was told "You get what you're given'.

Let's just say I was polite as I could be with my response. Didn't lose my temper or get agitated which I was quite proud of.

Ask for, nay demand cold, brown toast next time and see what happens.

I can't eat wheat comfortably. Last time I was in hospital my meal didn't get onto the dinner trolley. No problem, I can wait. The cleaner assigned to the 8 rooms heard the conversation and offered to go down for it. Result! Thought it was a nice example of joined up care :)

I agree with @Floyd1 - demand cold brown toast @Mr. Banooka ! :twothumbs:

I can't eat wheat comfortably. Last time I was in hospital my meal didn't get onto the dinner trolley. No problem, I can wait. The cleaner assigned to the 8 rooms heard the conversation and offered to go down for it. Result! Thought it was a nice example of joined up care :)

I agree with @Floyd1 - demand cold brown toast @Mr. Banooka ! :twothumbs:

Have been reminded by Mr Frideswide that what he said was along the lines of "I'll get it if you promise not to shred paper while I'm gone" . :rollingw:

I was once in the hospital to have my spleen taken out.

If my wife was not with me to help me, my stay would have been terrible as American hospitals seemed to be understaffed.

In the U.S. if you have extra money, one can hire what they call a “ sitter “ to help.

I'm allegedly off to Broadgreen today. I have been told to be ready for 07:30 to be picked up. I've also been told that the pick-up could be any time after that.

If the angiogram goes ok, and even if I have to have stents, I will be home this evening.

I got a new patient in the bed next to me yesterday. From him arriving I have had a disturbing vibe off him. One of danger and distrust. I hardly slept a wink last night thinking I was going to be robbed.

Lovely caring attitude from the staff there. Hopefully better at Broadgreen, although hospitals in general are not really conducive to feeling better.

Lovely caring attitude from the staff there. Hopefully better at Broadgreen, although hospitals in general are not really conducive to feeling better.
The nursing staff on the whole have been brilliant. The issue has been some of the catering staff.

I know I shouldn't have, but I ended up having an argument with one of the catering people yesterday. They got my food completely wrong again, or should I say someone had manually scrawled out someone else's bed location and written mine in its place. But they wasn't the start of it.

When the food arrived I asked the caterer to put just the plate down on my table as there was not enough space for the tray. Completely ignoring me she forced the tray onto the edge of the table, nearly pushing iPad and cup of tea off the table. When I asked her to stop and just put the plate down she refused, pushed it further and told me she couldn't do that as she had nowhere to put the tray. Every day since being in here, the caterer has put just the plate there for me and put the tray back on the trolley.

It was then that I realised that the order was wrong. I went to speak to the caterer and there was a visitor there trying to get her attention, but was being completely ignored. Between me and the visitor we worked out that her dad had got my meal, but his was missing. We tried to get the caterers attention again, but she wouldn't engage with us. We ended up having to stand in her way to get her to talk to us. We explained the situation, showing the evidence. I asked why someone had changed the bed numbers on the orders to be told that wasn't her problem. She then turned around saying, let me hand out the other dinners then I'll come back and see what we've got left on the trolley for you. It's at that point I lost my temper and told her that no, she would sort it out now and that I would be having the food I'd ordered.

I then got made to get back in bed by the nice nurse who told me she'd sort it out for me. In the end the visitor passed me my correct meal and the nurse found her dads salad on the trolley.

I apologised to the nurse later in, who told me not to worry no harm done. She explained that there isn't a mealtime that goes by that isn't wrong.

It made me think about how much food waste there must be in hospitals with people being brought meals they didn't order or are inedible due to spending the last hour sat keeping warm in a steamer. One nurse advised to only ever go for things like stews and rice, as everything else is horrible.

I was supposed to be in here for my health, but have found the whole thing incredibly stressful.

Having the "serial killer" in the bed next to me hasn't helped. By God he gives off a creepy vibe. I think it's his demeanour and the slightly pervy way he speaks to the nurses. If I use "savile" as an adjective that may help explain the vibe.

Still not heard from Broadgreen, but I'm packed and ready to go.

You know what's currently peeing me off about getting older?

Taking longer and longer to recover from minor illnesses. I've currently got a cold. Just a cold, that's all. Something I would have been able to shrug off in a couple of days in my youth. This bugger has been with me for a week, circling around, making me feel quite dreadful one minute and then perfectly fine (if snotty) the next. The coughing is giving me a headache, which is making me feel worse, and I've had enough of it.

I don't often get ill and when I do I am VERY grumpy!

Broadgreen cancelled for today as I said would happen. Consultant called in sick apparently.

Scheduled to go tomorrow now.

I am not getting my hopes up.

The question is whether I can cope with another night next to the "serial killer". I think I am very lucky that he is bed bound. Found out he kept all of us awake until the early hours.

You know what's currently peeing me off about getting older?

Taking longer and longer to recover from minor illnesses. I've currently got a cold. Just a cold, that's all. Something I would have been able to shrug off in a couple of days in my youth. This bugger has been with me for a week, circling around, making me feel quite dreadful one minute and then perfectly fine (if snotty) the next. The coughing is giving me a headache, which is making me feel worse, and I've had enough of it.

I don't often get ill and when I do I am VERY grumpy!
And when did not being able to sit down or stand up without saying 'ahhh' become a thing? The 'ahhhhs' are getting longer too as the months go by.

@Mr. Banooka I've read your above posts and my heart goes out to you, what a time of it you are having. I do hope the day will get better for you and you can at least get away from that weird bloke!

I once had to spend a month in hospital and it was nowhere like what you are experiencing. The food wasn't bad, you got what you ordered and it was perfectly edible and sometimes even really nice. The ward was spotless in fact they could have served the food on the floor and not bothered with plates or trays lol. Heck even the venetian blinds were regularly cleaned!

Fast forward a few years and I had to go in again and I couldn't believe how things had changed ... but by then catering and cleaning had been put out to tender and the lower offers acepted with the inevitable results. The nurses were brilliant as ever though. :)

I used to get tonsillitis every single autumn. The doctors were threatening to take out my tonsils if I got another attack, fortunately the following year I had left school and college and never had another attack after that. It seemed to have some correlation to the date that the heating systems came on and once I wasn't subject to building-wide central heating (we had none at home), I never suffered again.
I had to have my tonsils out when I was 13, every single winter I had a bad case of laryngitis. After I had them out, I was fine.
Then as I got older the central heating in offices bothered me every winter. I was right under a heating vent at my last job for 7 years, and for 7 winters I got that laryngitis back again - but since that job ended because of the virus, I never had it again.
Central heating is the worst if you're stuck under a vent.
(So sorry - I was reading on the back pages and replied to catseye, then started reading to the present day -
Hoping Mr Banooka is getting scheduled and sending Best Wishes!)

Last edited:
Back