• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
Best thing to do with that stuff was pour it straight down the toilet - save yourself the bother of drinking it.
Double Diamond was first brewed in 1876 in Burton on Trent as one of the original India Pale Ales.
The name has gone through a few owners and is still available in bottles and kegs, thanks partly to the late Prince Philip's fondness for it.

It's that lovely east Staffordshire water. Makes a nice pale ale.

Good old snobbery. Sneering at mass-produced cheap beers because poorer people drink them.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away might needed to be changed.

A study by the American Heart Association in 2016 found that a beer a day might keep the doctor away.

The study found people who drank a beer a day increase their HDL or good cholesterol.

Beer also supplies needed minerals and B vitamins.

So, beer is a vitamin supplement in a funny way.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away might needed to be changed.

A study by the American Heart Association in 2016 found that a beer a day might keep the doctor away.

The study found people who drank a beer a day increase their HDL or good cholesterol.

Beer also supplies needed minerals and B vitamins.

So, beer is a vitamin supplement in a funny way.
Have they only just found this out? :chuckle:

There's a longstanding British belief that beer is a food. You can tell who subscribes most strongly to this theory. They sorta stand out. :wink2:

Good old snobbery. Sneering at mass-produced cheap beers because poorer people drink them.
I liked Double Diamond! Not as much as Newcastle Brown and Amber :)

But Everards? nooooooooo!

Still going strong! :)

They make some nice-looking beers.
One, Beacon Hill, is described thusly -
Lightly hopped and moreish, Beacon Hill is the perfect pint to enjoy when taking in the views. This amber beer is low in ABV with subtle flavours - perfect for beginners or as a session ale.

Importantly, its label features a Leicestershire fox stopping on a bike ride to admire the eponymous escarpment. Sold! :wink2:

Never risk Fraoch heather beer in any quantity. It is actually quite nice and achieved popularity when the cast of Braveheart took to drinking it. To say that it produces intestinal gas is an understatement. It was like the beans scene in Blazing Saddles.

If their kilts were billowing in Braveheart it wasn't the Scottish weather.

Fraoch is lush. My wife and I discovered it in Fort Bill after completing the West Highland Way. lt made a very pleasant reward for 95 miles of hard tabbing.

maximus otter

Double Diamond was first brewed in 1876 in Burton on Trent as one of the original India Pale Ales.
The name has gone through a few owners and is still available in bottles and kegs, thanks partly to the late Prince Philip's fondness for it.

Looking it up, it seems there was [is?] the weak as piss keg version & also a stronger bottled cask conditioned version they called Burton Ale which was actually a decent beer. I remember drinking it years ago.

Now owned by Carlsberg-Tetley.

Beer and teabags. :cool:
But wait -
In 2004 Tetley was dropped from the Carlsberg-Tetley name. The company is now called Carlsberg UK Limited and is a part of Carlsberg AS group.
Tetley do beer as well. But it’s not the same Tetley as the tea producers.

Image result for carlsberg-tetley products.jpeg

I need a lie down.

Just like farting when with a group of men it is expected that one has to drink a beer.

I personally don’t like beer so I play drink by sipping a taste and hold the glass.

Since most of the men I have known have died, not a problem now for me.

Looking it up, it seems there was [is?] the weak as piss keg version & also a stronger bottled cask conditioned version they called Burton Ale which was actually a decent beer. I remember drinking it years ago.

Weak as piss beers have a long and honourable history. They were historically the beverage of choice in workers' homes, especially where the water supply was dodgy. :bthumbup:

Weak as piss beers have a long and honourable history. They were historically the beverage of choice in workers' homes, especially where the water supply was dodgy. :bthumbup:
iirc there's a hypothesis that liking beer provides a survival advantage, as drinking weak beer means you're not drinking stuff the cats/dogs/other people had died/wee'd in.

You lot were lucky enough to have never tasted my Grandads 'Home-Brew'. Even he couldn't stand the stuff, that's how bad it was.
The ex was a science teacher. Some of the lessons had to be about how alcohol is made. He nicked some of my very bitter grapefruits, hoping they'd make a recognisable semblance of wine that'd taste disgusting enough that he couldn't be accused of leading his pupils into vice.

It worked well but instead of tipping the stuff down t'pan he brought it home. I of course tried some and it did indeed taste vile, but got me drunk very fast. Gave me a shocking and well-deserved hangover.

The rest was still not binned. Our son of about 14 found and necked it and he too suffered the consequences.

Not my family's proudest moment. :thought:

Monks used to brew childrens ale so that the sprogs didn’t have to drink the water that carried some of the nastier illnesses of the day.
The alcohol content was minimal but the water had been boiled which made it that much safer.
Couldn’t have all those kids dropping dead with water borne illnesses when there were chimneys that needed sweeping.

Last edited:
Small beer.

Like our modern day Ginger beer, or shandy.

Still kids stuff.

Which, my Mum (A Potters wench) always said, was the origins of the expression 'Gone for a Burton'...

...and it tastes like its been through a few drinkers too imho...

In Spain a long time ago my wife and I shared a bottle of red coloured vodka. We didn't go blind but the hangover was horrendous.

You forgot Skol.

Back