• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
My wife and take vitamin supplements.

Is it all for nothing, because supposedly from studies done it didn’t stop people from getting sick or old ?

Americans spend 30 billion dollars a year on vitamin supplements.

Low potassium may mean muscle cramps.

Eat more bananas.
Dehydration can also do it. Recently I had to stay in one place for about 10 hours so decided not to drink anything.

Did the job, went home, fell into bed and woke up with both feet and calves cramping. Durr. :doh:
Cramp is rare for me and I always know what's caused it.

Went for a pint with a few old workmates of mine a few weeks ago and asked a 70 year old how he felt. Since retiring at 60 he's become a qualified cricket umpire (Yorkshire League) and thoroughly enjoys life. He felt the same as I do....in his head he's still 18. I still find myself looking at people in their 60's and thinking that they are somehow more mature than I am. And I'm 66. I remember talking to a young kid in 2005 who I worked with who was doing a degree in International Relations and asking him if he remembered watching the airlift from the American Embassy in Saigon on the TV news. "Trev", he said, "That happened almost 20 years before I was born."

And there are adults around now who were born after what could be described as the epoch defining event of the century, 9/11.

Weird this age thing. I reckon it's just perception, until you finally die. After that? Pffft!

Not to stray too far off topic, but...
And the United States has 50 states, all with differing laws, gun laws included.
You can say that again! I am still stunned by the story that's been in the news lately about a man in Texas who fatally shot five neighbors, including a young child. As horrible as this is, what flabbergasted me was the circumstances of the conflict: he was apparently angry because one of the neighbors said he was waking one of the children and asked him to stop randomly shooting off his AR-15-style rifle - which seems to be a common pastime in the area!

Rene Arevalo Sr., who lives a few houses down, said he heard gunshots around midnight Friday but didn’t think anything of it.

“It’s a normal thing people do around here, especially on Fridays after work,” Arevalo said. “They get home and start drinking in their backyards and shooting out there.”
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation...mains-at-large-could-be-anywhere-sheriff-says

Not to stray too far off topic, but...

You can say that again! I am still stunned by the story that's been in the news lately about a man in Texas who fatally shot five neighbors, including a young child. As horrible as this is, what flabbergasted me was the circumstances of the conflict: he was apparently angry because one of the neighbors said he was waking one of the children and asked him to stop randomly shooting off his AR-15-style rifle - which seems to be a common pastime in the area!

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation...mains-at-large-could-be-anywhere-sheriff-says
Yes, we heard that today on the news, tragic.
Southern states are still very different in many ways from up north.

Dehydration can also do it. Recently I had to stay in one place for about 10 hours so decided not to drink anything.

Did the job, went home, fell into bed and woke up with both feet and calves cramping. Durr. :doh:
Cramp is rare for me and I always know what's caused it.
Escargot tonic water helps if you have cramps.

Had to see the doc. for a non-knee problem and my dodgy right knee came up. Ran through all the thing that knacker knees, squash, cricket, Shotokan etc.
"Batsman or bowler?"
"Both."
"Left arm bowler then."

Nice when a doctor thinks it through.
Back in the eighties I was a big fan of American Football (a great game once you get into it) and I still to this day remember when a player's leg bent 90° the wrong way at his knee joint.

I'm having calf problems. I feel like it's cramp starting. Putting it down to pulled muscles after rushing somewhere on foot last Saturday.

's'funny, I can ride a bike for miles and can run if necessary but fast walking kills my calves. :dunno:
Yes. I could walk twenty miles with ease, but kneel/crouch down for five minutes to, say fix a radiator and my back seizes up, my knees hurt and I crick my neck.

I was, once more, mistaken for a man at work the other day.

Previously I would just have laughed, but, what with getting older and feeling generally more 'invisible' as a female, I was proper pissed off.
It could be worse. I once was told I looked like John Travolta.
I wouldn't have minded so much if they had been referring to him in his younger days, but I was going through my 'fat Elvis' period at the time so I knew they were definitely taking the p**s.

My wife and take vitamin supplements.

Is it all for nothing, because supposedly from studies done it didn’t stop people from getting sick or old ?

Americans spend 30 billion dollars a year on vitamin supplements.
Supplements can be useful if you have a diet that's restricted for some reason though. If you're not getting everything you need through what you eat - and many older people can have diets that might be a little...odd (especially if the teeth have started to go and chewing becomes difficult).

We don't yet even fully understand the full implications of deficiencies in some vitamins, so taking a multi-vitamin every day, whilst it might be a complete waste of time and money, it might just be the thing that keeps you healthy for longer.

Apparently the tales that Báthory bathed in the blood of virgins to retain her youth, were generally recorded years after her death and are considered unreliable. Suppose that's why there are no Virgin blood bath salts or vitabiotics tablets.

Standing on the edge of the bath to take down/put back the shower curtain after it had been washed- due to MrsF's insistence- (even though it was done only 20 years ago) and I could not keep my balance, even with two feet down.

I could have done that on no feet when I was younger.

It could be worse. I once was told I looked like John Travolta.
I wouldn't have minded so much if they had been referring to him in his younger days, but I was going through my 'fat Elvis' period at the time so I knew they were definitely taking the p**s.
Pfft, I've been called Hattie Jaques on'ere.

Can't see it myself. :dunno:

Standing on the edge of the bath to take down/put back the shower curtain after it had been washed- due to MrsF's insistence- (even though it was done only 20 years ago) and I could not keep my balance, even with two feet down.

I could have done that on no feet when I was younger.
Don't you have a range of decorative shower curtains featuring interesting themes like bicycles and the London Underground map?

I'm busy catching 'em as they come through the rye on the side of Sugar Mountain. Doesn't work though......entropy innit?

Back in the eighties I was a big fan of American Football (a great game once you get into it) and I still to this day remember when a player's leg bent 90° the wrong way at his knee joint.
Joe Theismann. It still makes me wince.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Theismann

Ditto with you re American Football - and I'm also a big fan of rugby league (in spite of coming from Bath, big rugby union territory). Gridiron and league have a lot in common, too.

Joe Theismann. It still makes me wince.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Theismann

Ditto with you re American Football - and I'm also a big fan of rugby league (in spite of coming from Bath, big rugby union territory). Gridiron and league have a lot in common, too.
Right. And he says the pain only lasted a second!

I used to watch Rugby League and preferred it to union- more 'fast flowing'.
I played union at school and afterwards for a while.

The only reason I stopped watching American football was because they kept putting it on later and later (and I think they may have even stopped showing it altogether for a while). The guy who presented it back then now does the cycling (as you'll know).

Been a Hull Kingston Rovers fan since my dad took me to see them against the old enemy, Hull FC.
Haven't seen Hull KR but I have seen Hull FC - winning the 2005 Challenge Cup in Cardiff and losing the 2013 final at Wembley, in a truly terrible game.

I got in to rugby league when I lived in Sydney in 1988.

I lived in Manly but one of my housemates was a Balmain Tigers fan, and they got to the Grand Final that year. I saw a lot of their games live and had the pleasure of watching the all-time great Ellery Hanley, one of the most astonishing sportsmen I've ever seen play.

Haven't seen Hull KR but I have seen Hull FC - winning the 2005 Challenge Cup in Cardiff and losing the 2013 final at Wembley, in a truly terrible game.
May 3rd 1980. Known in east Hull as St Rogers Day. Greatest day of my life....okay, I suppose meeting my wife and the daughters getting born etc.....but Wembley, Challenge Cup Final. Hull KR 10-Hull 5.

There's touch of that in the royals. The late Duke of Windsor had it, and I notice it in Prince William's children.
Two couples just got off their canal boat just as I was walking past and one of the women jumped and said ''Oh, I thought it was Prince William - an older version obviously'', to much agreement from the others.
They caught us up (as my dog wanted to stop and sniff every blade of grass for miles around) and she said ''You can take a flag from our bunting if you like''.

I suppose it's maybe preferable to being compared to old Anders (as I was in my twenties).

Maybe I am related?

Talk about cuts impacting on pensioners!

Woman, 99, realises dream of facing circus knife thrower​

Annie faces the knives
IMAGE SOURCE, PA MEDIA Image caption, Former circus worker Annie Duplock will turn 100 years old in August

A 99-year-old woman has achieved her lifelong dream of having knives thrown at her during a live circus show.

Annie Duplock, from Sharnford, Leicestershire, stepped into the ring to brave the blades before a cheering crowd in Coventry on Friday. The former circus worker, who celebrates her centenary in three months, was part of the grand finale of the Zippo Circus show.

Afterwards she said she had "really enjoyed" the experience. Supported by a walking aid, Ms Duplock took her place in front of a board as blades were hurled at her by a professional knife thrower. She had persuaded her daughter to ask her former boss, circus founder Martin Burton, to let her take part.

Mr Burton said: "Annie worked for me 30 years ago, putting up posters.

"She was 70 years old then and she is 100 years old this August."

He told the audience his former employee had seen the show the night before and asked to be part of the nerve-shredding spectacle for her 100th birthday treat.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-65583683

The North American Menopause Society has set about to shoot down a popular female myth.

After following 2,300 women for 15 years, according to their studies on aging women ( if these women are in good health ) older women do not lose their desire for some form of sexual activity.
Menopause is nothing, at least it meant nothing to me, and many women I know. They still look exactly the same.
But I think that I have Austrian / Hungarian skin, so I got lucky. I knew a woman from a Hungarian family who had the most beautiful skin I've ever seen - marbley white, with not a wrinkle anywhere.

Back