• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Anyone watch the first episode? It was on Channel 4 tonight, so that's Fridays at 8 if you want to follow it in the UK, repeated Saturdays at 7.

I didn't really like the movie of The Avengers, to be honest, but this new series was more like the Joss Whedon I appreciate. Not terrific, but a nice enough setting up episode tying in with the third biggest film of all time and with a bit of Iron Man 3 added. Liked how it kept trying to wrongfoot the audience as well as the characters. Could be one to watch once its big arc is established.

Naturally, any big name superhero was noticeably absent, them being played by proper movie stars and all. But no Samuel L. Jackson, for some reason.

They can't afford Samuel L. Jackson. It is TV, after all.

Yeah, but considering some of the things he shows up in, this could be a step up. The man loves his work, after all.

Nothing wrong with that. Some fine actors turn up in the most ridiculous stuff just because they love working. (And eating, and paying bills.)

If they do get Sam Jackson on the show, they'll save him up for a season finale, or other big event. Like when we find out what actually happened with Coulson and Tahiti. SPOILER: Think LMDs

Disappointed that Joss Weedon is associated with this - the action sequences and FX were fine, and the story line OK - but the whole thing was ruined by the syrupy emotional gack that covered it.

Hey, I might have spoken too soon - apparently on this week's episode they do one of those post-credits clips which might feature a famous face. It's gotta be Samuel, surely?

That's what the rumours are saying.

Prove me wrong, ye bastids, will ye...

Well, that was fun. Nice to see Agent Coulson driving a SHIELD flying car. :)

Maybe the post-credits cameo is Christopher Lloyd? He didn't need roads either.

Well, I'm loving this so far! Still getting used to the fact that I can watch something decent when it's actually broadcast. ....other than Who.

With less sex. And we're yet to see if Coulson is now immortal.

gncxx said:
Naturally, any big name superhero was noticeably absent, them being played by proper movie stars and all. But no Samuel L. Jackson, for some reason.

No reason why they can't pop their heads round the door, or even an odd video call (ref NCIS MTAC used to good effect so the key characters can have "dialogue" with some piece shot by a second unit).

Apparently in Whedonesque manner the ratings were way down for episode 2. Don't cancel it, I'm not sure if I like it yet! Interesting this ep tried to convince us the team really were shaping up nicely, as if they sensed potential scepticism.

If you miss the Torchwood vibes, then there's always Masters of Sex on Channel 4 starting this Tuesday. Fnar.

Well the woman with the x-ray eyes noticed he'd changed, but didn't say anything about his insides.

Also, being an android would tie-in very neatly with the next Avengers movie - "Age Of Ultron".......

:?

Watching this is increasingly becoming a chore. Apparently the budget only allows for one facial expression per actor, the dialogue is like bad pulp, and the name-dropping of potentially interesting characters only makes it worse (Thor, Captain America... yeah that sounds like it might be fun, too bad there's only these bland workaday drudges moping at each other.)

You're not wrong, it's become one of the big TV disappointments of the year. I'm having difficulty distinguishing the episodes, seems to be the same thing every week. Just not enough substance to it to justify all this time spent on it.

Haven't seen this week's yet (it's broadcast on Fridays in the UK) but I take it nothing has improved?

:(

No, it's still the same dull grey pain.

loadwho.gif
The Doctor says: "Allons-y! Joss Whedon est un vrai beigne!"

Well, we got a cliffhanger, so that was something. Bit difficult to care when you're not invested in the cardboard characters, mind you. Let's hope the winter break has them shake things up a bit in the writing.

:)

Maybe they could bring in some actual superheroes to save the day.

And then, they could keep bringing in various superheroes, on a regular basis.

kl5o.jpg

Hey, superheroes don't come cheap. By that I mean, proper movie stars don't come cheap.

Anyone know what's happened to this on Channel 4? I think it's back in the USA but there's no sign of it here.

Back