• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.

gncxx said:
Anyone know what's happened to this on Channel 4? I think it's back in the USA but there's no sign of it here.
The recent episodes have been tweaked up a notch.

Last I heard was that channel 4 will pick them up again in late March.

I think Channel 4 want to repeat the whole first part of the series without breaks, leading directly into the new episodes in March. Compared to the quality of most of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies, so far this series has been a string of missed opportunities and lacklustre characters. It has steadily improved, and I have to hope it continues to do so, because it is rather letting down the MCU side, and I think the idea has possibilities.

CarlosTheDJ said:
Last I heard was that channel 4 will pick them up again in late March.

Thanks, that big gap should see off any casual viewers for good. If there's anybody except casual viewers watching.

Should have mentioned this a week ago, but it has returned to Channel 4. It's supposed to improve from now in but we're two episodes past the break and it's as ho hum as ever. The best special effect is Ming-Na Wen who looks incredible for fifty years of age, and she can run down an alleyway with such speed she makes me feel ashamed I get a bit out of breath going up a flight of stairs.

gncxx said:
Should have mentioned this a week ago, but it has returned to Channel 4. It's supposed to improve from now in but we're two episodes past the break and it's as ho hum as ever..
Yeah, It's an ok time-passer, but doesn't feel like it's actually going anywhere. There's lots of signposting, but that's all there ever seems to be. It's in danger of veering into Heroes (confused, conflicted, ordinary-person-with-extraordinary ability falling victim of over-arching-conspiracy de jour), from the second series of which I just walked away.

Agree about Ming-Na though. I could watch her all day :).

stuneville said:
gncxx said:
Should have mentioned this a week ago, but it has returned to Channel 4. It's supposed to improve from now in but we're two episodes past the break and it's as ho hum as ever..
Yeah, It's an ok time-passer, but doesn't feel like it's actually going anywhere. There's lots of signposting, but that's all there ever seems to be. It's in danger of veering into Heroes (confused, conflicted, ordinary-person-with-extraordinary ability falling victim of over-arching-conspiracy de jour), from the second series of which I just walked away.

Agree about Ming-Na though. I could watch her all day :).

I've enjoyed watching it, and actually do think the show has improved. It must cost masses to make, though, and the pay off is probably not worth it. I doubt it'll be renewed. It has a lot of competition. Crime busting teams in well written shows are all over the place, and the folk with special powers thing and alien objects thing has been done to death. This show is constricted by having to appeal to a broader age range, as well as existing in a universe already cluttered with the extraordinary. If agents and soldiers exploring alien and supernatural mysteries is your thing, TheX-Files and Stargate-SG1 at their most mediocre still beat the best of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..

I'm not so sure......I'm seeing a lot of parallels with the first season of 'Fringe'......

And you know what happened at the end of that.

(If you don't, you really should find out. It may appear to be a modern 'X Files' at first. That's all I'm saying.)

The how-Coulson-survived reveal was a bit ho-hum, but I think there's something major about to happen with Skye. I'm sure she's more than she appears, and they have to address the main problem with the show....

"We're all going to die! Ring Thor!"

"Well, when I said I knew Thor, I actually meant I met him. It's not like I've got his number or anything......"

"Ring Captain America!"

"Hmm. The thing is....."

"Oh god.....Colonel Fury?"

"....probably busy......erm....."

Before the mid season break I had lost a lot of interest in this but I still decided to stick with it. The mid season break then dragged on so long that when it came back I almost didn't bother and at this moment in time I have not managed to get a level of interest sufficient for me to actually bother watching the most recent episode. Last night with nothing on TV I opted instead for a rather enjoyable Whoops Apocalypse marathon.

Gordon

I just thought this thread needed a bump, because the series itself has earned it.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has really changed since the events of Captain American - The Winter Soldier filtered into it. About three episodes ago was the first time I had that feeling of being disappointed that an episode had ended because I really wanted to know what happened next, and that feeling has haunted every episode since.

They've upped their game, or they were always building to this point because they knew what was coming in the MCU, and the series is an entirely different animal.

I agree, it's finally - finally! - feeling like a Joss Whedon show, though it's pretty ridiculous it took so long to settle. Still, now we can appreciate the (too many) hours of groundwork and enjoy the proper spy intrigue show that it should have been in the first place.

Just heard an interesting theory that the first half of the season was just treading water until they got to the Winter Soldier stuff.

I was glad to see the big fight between the two martial artists, and the more inventive use of a nail gun than usual.

This was back in the UK last night, and it was OK, but there's just too many characters in it when I was having difficulty recalling what happened at the end of the previous season. With any luck it'll settle down, but it's a bit hyper, plus Xena fans would be enraged.

plus Xena fans would be enraged.

Indeed, all the hype about Lucy Lawless joining the cast only for that to occur! Disappointing, although in an interview last month she hints that there may be a way to bring the character back.

I suppose nobody really dies in comicsland. But what was the point in all the arm-cutting if they were going to do that to her at the end?

Maybe she goes to the happy place (Bali?) that Coulson went to?

No more comments on season 2 - is that telling? They should have renamed the series "Guess what? You've Been Double Crossed! Again!" seeing as how that happened to someone in every bloody episode. I will say Kyle MacLachlan was excellent value, he was the highlight of a very samey season.

I've enjoyed it, but I'd hoped for more. I agree, MacLachlan was a treat throughout. His star appears once more to be on the ascendant. He's popped up in a few high profile, well considered series recently. I like all the double crossing, side switching and mixed loyalties. In understand it's been renewed for a third season. With the torch of the MCU on the telly being carried so well by the excellent Daredevil, the apparently excellent Agent Carter, and the swarm of other series that are on their way, I wonder if it's necessary.

I really enjoyed Series 2 also. I refuse to use "season". Even for US programmes (not "shows").

My continued childhood geekdom is being very well-served these days, I must say. But then I'm very easily entertained.

Agent Carter's on Amazon too, presumably Netflix as well. I've just watched the pilot, and quite liked it, sort of a 1940s pulp magazine version of Alias, and a lot of fun to see the rather matronly Hayley Atwell kicking the bad guy's asses. It might get a bit tired if it's just AoS in period dress, but so far so good.

Well, Agent Carter was short and sweet, much better than slogging through 24 episodes of SHIELD per season. Thought the last scene on the bridge was quite poignant. Ah, but it wasn't the last scene, was it? Battle of the dodgy accents next season?

Agree - Agent Carter was crisp and focused and I think benefitted hugely from being restricted to eight episodes - it had a strong enough narrative to go around. When they've got thirteen to fill then the over-arching garden-path conspiracy story-lines become too much of a temptation.

I did enjoy Agent Carter, and it did benefit from having only eight episodes. Perhaps shorter seasons of Agents of SHIELD would have been better, but I still really like the show. I've seen it on blu-ray twice now, and it's proved so much more entertaining on rewatches.

Agent Carter season 2 teaser:

Peggy goes to Hollywood. Here's hoping for some Rocketeer-style adventures.

Incidentally, what happened to Agents of SHIELD season 3 on Channel 4? Are they going to show it or what? And don't get me started on Channel 5 and Gotham...

Following on from Netflix's excellent (I thought) Daredevil, Jessica Jones is now on Netflix. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. So, there's my weekend viewing taken care of.

EDIT Two episodes in. Too early to say whether this is going to be a great series. It keeps a lot of questions unanswered. Violence is not as prominent as in Daredevil, but sex, booze and swearing make it not one for the kiddies. I like it so far, but its insistence on revealing the characters' back stories to occasional, mystifying revelations makes it a difficult narrative to become engrossed in. I hope there'll be answers soon before I lose interest.

Last edited:
I'll be looking forward to seeing how the upcoming events of Captain America: Civil War impact on the show.

Following on from Netflix's excellent (I thought) Daredevil, Jessica Jones is now on Netflix. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. So, there's my weekend viewing taken care of.
Wasted a lot of my Christmas break watching the two seasons of Daredevil right through. Great stuff.

Back