• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Aggressive & Destructive Squirrels

‘Bloodthirsty’ squirrel attacks 18 people in small Welsh village in two-day Christmas rampage​

The RSPCA said it had not choice but to put ‘Stripe’ down

A squirrel’s reign of terror over a sleepy Welsh village has been brought to an end after it bit 18 residents leaving some too scared to leave their homes.
Nicknamed Stripe, after the vicious baddie from Gremlins, the grey squirrel was finally caught in a humane trap and handed to the RSPCA by Corrine Reynolds who had been feeding it from her garden in Buckley in North Wales.

It came after more than a dozen locals reported being attacked by the rodent with some posting gory images of bloody bite marks and deep scratches requiring tetanus jabs amid the two-day “rampage”.
The critter was also accused of biting dogs, cats and chasing people down country roads as they fled in terror.

On the Buckley Residents Facebook group, Ms Reynolds, a 65-year-old carer, warned the squirrel had bitten as many as 18 villagers.

....continues here:

https://f7td5.app.goo.gl/V3u7sq

The squirrel was put down because grey squirrels cannot be released legally -

An RSPCA spokesperson told The Guardian: “We were incredibly sad to have to put this squirrel to sleep but were left with no choice due to changes in legislation in 2019 making it illegal to release grey squirrels back into the wild. We do not agree with this law and opposed it, but legally we have to comply.”
The British Pest Control Association says that grey squirrels (sciurus carolinensis) are invasive pests, not native to the UK.

So anyone finding one injured who hopes the RSPCA will help it is wasting their time.

The RSPCA Stapeley Grange Wildlife Centre covers my area. The public are encouraged to take abandoned or injured wild animals and birds there. They do seal rescues and releases.
I wonder what they tell people who bring them squirrels? :omg:

Stapeley are good people. A young herring gull once landed in my garden, looking exhausted, and I called Stapeley for advice. An operative was here in about 40 minutes.
She expertly trapped Gully and took it away for some nice food and TLC, after which it would be released back to where it should be. :bthumbup:

A grey squirrel though - curtains. :(

The squirrel was put down because grey squirrels cannot be released legally -

So anyone finding one injured who hopes the RSPCA will help it is wasting their time.

The RSPCA Stapeley Grange Wildlife Centre covers my area. The public are encouraged to take abandoned or injured wild animals and birds there. They do seal rescues and releases.
I wonder what they tell people who bring them squirrels? :omg:

Stapeley are good people. A young herring gull once landed in my garden, looking exhausted, and I called Stapeley for advice. An operative was here in about 40 minutes.
She expertly trapped Gully and took it away for some nice food and TLC, after which it would be released back to where it should be. :bthumbup:

A grey squirrel though - curtains. :(

Invasive foreign pest species:

"Restrictions on invasive alien animals​

You must follow strict laws:
  • when owning or looking after them
  • if you find one
  • when selling or displaying them as part of your business

You must not do any of the following:
  • keep them in your house, garden or business
  • sell them to other people
  • exchange them for goods
  • release into the environment
  • let them breed or escape
  • import them into the UK
  • transport them within the UK
  • export them to other countries..."
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/invasiv...ies-rules-in-england-and-wales#rescue-centres

maximus otter

Invasive foreign pest species:

"Restrictions on invasive alien animals​

You must follow strict laws:
  • when owning or looking after them
  • if you find one
  • when selling or displaying them as part of your business

You must not do any of the following:
  • keep them in your house, garden or business
  • sell them to other people
  • exchange them for goods
  • release into the environment
  • let them breed or escape
  • import them into the UK
  • transport them within the UK
  • export them to other countries..."
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/invasiv...ies-rules-in-england-and-wales#rescue-centres

maximus otter
Where I grew up the only wild animals you ever saw were grey squirrels. I'm very fond of them. Mind you, where i grew up there are now plenty of urban foxes to keep them company.

Seems to me the replacement of species by other better adapted species is a perfectly normal process of nature - probably something we shouldn't bugger about with.

Reactions: Sid
Where I grew up the only wild animals you ever saw were grey squirrels. I'm very fond of them. Mind you, where i grew up there are now plenty of urban foxes to keep them company.

Seems to me the replacement of species by other better adapted species is a perfectly normal process of nature - probably something we shouldn't bugger about with.

l see your point with natural migration, for instance. When, however, the initial bugger-aboutery was human daftness, e.g. grey squizzers vs. native reds, l’m going to have to disagree.

Esp. when the interlopers are delicious, e.g. muntjac, signal crayfish, grey squirrels…

:p

maximus otter

Last edited:
l see your point with natural migration, for instance. When, however, the initial bugger-aboutery was human daftness, e.g. grey squizzers vs. native reds, l’m going to have to disagree.

Esp. when the interlopers are delicious, e.g. muntjac, signal crayfish, grey squirrels…

:p

maximus otter

Are squirrels delicious ? I would of thought they were not good/ safe to eat , with them being a rodent? Deer n crayfish sounds yummy though.

Are squirrels delicious ? I would of thought they were not good/ safe to eat , with them being a rodent? Deer n crayfish sounds yummy though.
Since they eat nuts, seeds and fruit (unlike say rats which eat anything, and live in some dodgy places) they're probably quite healthy and tasty, like guinea pigs.

Yep. lt’s been many years since l last had a supply, but l’d select the haunches and loins (“backstrap”), dredge them in seasoned flour and brown them in olive oil. Then they’d go into my slow cooker with chicken stock and a faggot of herbs, possibly also some pigeon breasts similarly prepared.

At the end of a crappy shift, l’d come home to delicious smells in the kitchen. Bash up some brown rice and tuck in.

maximus otter

Since they eat nuts, seeds and fruit (unlike say rats which eat anything, and live in some dodgy places) they're probably quite healthy and tasty, like guinea pigs.
Good enough for Elvis. :bthumbup:

Yep. lt’s been many years since l last had a supply, but l’d select the haunches and loins (“backstrap”), dredge them in seasoned flour and brown them in olive oil. Then they’d go into my slow cooker with chicken stock and a faggot of herbs, possibly also some pigeon breasts similarly prepared.

At the end of a crappy shift, l’d come home to delicious smells in the kitchen. Bash up some brown rice and tuck in.

maximus otter

You sound like Cletus from The Simpsons!

You sound like Cletus from The Simpsons!

Cletus-Simpsons-Fortean-03.jpg

maximus otter

Arsonist squirrel.

A squirrel chewed through high voltage cables close to a pylon, sparking a field blaze, a fire service said.

Crews from Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service were called to fields at Toddington Road, Westoning, near Luton, at 16:04 BST on Monday. An area of stubble and hedgerows, covering 820ft (250m) by 492ft (150m), was affected.

Firefighters from Stopsley, Luton, Kempston, Woburn and Shefford brought it under control by 19:24.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-62642716

Arsonist squirrel.

A squirrel chewed through high voltage cables close to a pylon, sparking a field blaze, a fire service said.

Crews from Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service were called to fields at Toddington Road, Westoning, near Luton, at 16:04 BST on Monday. An area of stubble and hedgerows, covering 820ft (250m) by 492ft (150m), was affected.

Firefighters from Stopsley, Luton, Kempston, Woburn and Shefford brought it under control by 19:24.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-62642716
H'mm. I wonder if anyone actually witnessed the squirrel chewing through the cable - it doesn't state whom, so what led them to report that "fact" I wonder, as on another web report page, it just says the 'fire service' discovered it, it didn't say that they found a toasted squirrel carcus, or evidence thereof.

Last edited:
H'mm. I wonder if anyone actually witnessed the squirrel chewing through the cable - it doesn't state whom, so what led them to report that "fact" I wonder, as on another web report page, it just says the 'fire service' discovered it, it didn't say that they found a toasted squirrel carcus, or evidence thereof.

Yeah, could have been a crazed farmer.

When I were a lad, I used to have a rough shoot (air rifle) around a manor house and the deal was 'shoot all the squirrels you like, the buggers get into the roof and chew the wiring." I got to keep all the pigeons for myself. Good gig.

Maybe from this summer’s extreme heat, but a squirrel from “ hell “ kept attacking our outdoor chairs behind the house.

We finally had to clear everything away from the back of the house.

Doesn't look as if her dogs are much use.

Michelle Collins says she is terrified to enter her kitchen every morning because of the grey squirrels which have been living in her house for the last three years.

Evading the efforts of pest controllers, they have chewed up her doors and skirting boards and have eaten her dogs' food. The 39-year-old gym owner said they go into her kitchen at night, leaving her at the end of her tether.

Michelle, from Kilwinning in Ayrshire, said: "I never imagined squirrels could do this to my home, it's unbelievable what they can do. I've tried everything but nothing is working. I feel terrorised by them. I'm terrified to go into my kitchen every morning."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-65092730

This sign, which l recently saw in a garden centre, proper gave me the fear:

View attachment 65032

WTF is an “Ultra squirrel”?

:eek:

maximus otter
Just last week I was walking through a nearby wood surrounded by houses, and heard this noise from behind me scuttling over leaf's. Sounds like a Blackbird looking for food under leaf-drop I thought. . . but no, it was Super Squirrel with a whole chickens egg in it's mouth! It got to the foot a a tall tree, then ran up the tree with the egg still in it's mouth. I believe it must have made quite a meal of it that evening!

Squirrels got into my neighbors hour one weekend whilst they were away, scoffed a box of liqure chocolates and completely trashed the lounge. Tore curtains, sofa and crapped everywhere.

Squirrels got into my neighbors hour one weekend whilst they were away, scoffed a box of liqure chocolates and completely trashed the lounge. Tore curtains, sofa and crapped everywhere.
That's lodgers for you. . . Eh?

Back