• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Air raid shelter caved in

A

Anonymous

Cant remember the name of the air raid shelter but it was meant to be next to a church in brum. One night during WW2 it was bombed and part of it was caved in. The next morning the police offices and army was there were u could hear people scream for help but instead of helping them out they decided it was to dangerous to help so they filled it in and bull dozed over it. My firends dad was a police officer during the war and told us that 2 days later he walked past the site and could see pools of blood coming up through the red ground (stained with blood). This site is still meant to be there to this very day covered over with grass.

Well this is one of my locals UL and i am meeting my friend tomorrow and have to walk past this very church tomorrow on the way into brum. I will remember the name tomorrow and post it up.

Well, they dug for victory in the war, but didn't always dig for bodies... Legend tells that they are several people entombed below the bar Marples on Fitzalan Square in Sheffield, where the old Marples Hotel was bombed. I find it hard to believe that they'd ignore shouts for help and bury people alive, but I spose it's perfectly possible that they presumed there were no survivors and filled it in...

I've heard the same sort of story about a site by the Elephant & Castle, in South London. When they built on it in the 1960's no one would dig the foundations & in the end they drove piles.

It might be an UL or it might not, but like all of them, it just might possibly be true. I can rememer some blokes who had been in heavy salvage & they were still traumatised nearly forty years after the war, by some of the things they had done & seen!!!!

There's a similar story about what is now a housing estate in Hackney. My father in law told me about itas we drove past the site recently (he was born and bred nearby). He said that a factory on that site took a direct hit, entombing everyone sheltering in the cellars. It was at the height of the blitz, and presumably resources were just too stretched to look for survivors, and the bodies are still there.

I have a vague recollection of the story of mangled tube trains full of blitz victims being bricked up in abandoned tunnels. I'm certain that's an UL!

I've heard another story of a Spitfire which was downed during the war in a suburban street in southern England, and only recently recoverd (not an UL, by the way... I just can't remeber the exact details, but it was on the news, etc... should be easy to find on the net), as during the war the body was hastily removed and the aircraft covered over and built on.

When the spitfire was re-found, they also recovered the majority of the Pilot's body, which was then given a proper burial in the re-opened military grave.

The family said recently that when the first burial took place, there was a rumour that the coffin was full of bricks to make up the weight of their kinsman. Seems it was true.

There's also tales of abandoned mine-workings on the moors around my home town. More than one of these is meant to contain the bones of 19th Century Miners. Indeed, I read in the Keighley news last year that an investigation was due to take place, with a view to giving them a decent burial. One place in particular was Rivock Edge, where a couple of people have seen "ghosts" on a footpath near an old mineworks.

The movie 'Deathline' is based upon similar legends.
The old 'troglodytes below the streets of London descended from walled up accident/blitz/cave in victims' routine. It's rather good, actually and well worth a look.

That movie is played out on studio sets which represent
abandoned stations on the London Underground.

The real lost stations can be found well documented on a truly
weird and wonderful website which is part of the subterranea
britannica webring.

Very atmospheric. :eek:

There are also UL's of navies being traped in the foundations of the Fourth Bridge & with no hope of rescue, being sent down poisoned food through an air shaft.

There's a similar story (but much more likely to be true and im pretty certain it is), told about Mary Kings Close in Edinburgh. During a plague in the 1700/1600's it was decided that in the best interests of the city the whole street where the plague started should be bricked up to prevent spread of the disease. They did this and left it until there was no more sounds from inside the close. Then they sent 2 guys in to remove all the bodies. I have seen Mary Kings close (on a "terror tour" of the city i live in) and know that it is indeed under the ground and bricked up. Hope this helps.
p.s.
Its also where they did that recent investigation into ghosts where they interviewed people after the tour and took a picture of a misty shape in one of the rooms

There's definitely a coal mine in northern England, most probably Yorkshire, where a big disaster happened and some men were unable to be rescued. The part of the mine where they were trapped was closed off as a grave. There was no question that the unaccounted-for miners were dead, i.e. not abandoned alive, but a lot of grief was felt locally that their bodies were not recovered. When work later resumed there was a smell of decomposition in the mine which greatly upset the workers.
All of the above was reported in the Daily Mirror in the very early 1970s.

And here's another real story-
A cinema was being built in the Phillipines, under the Marcos regime, to host a film festival. The floor was concreted deeply and people were working on platforms suspended above it. Suddenly, the scaffolding gave way, and a lot of workers fell into the concrete. It proved impossible to rescue more than a few and the rest, stuck in the set concrete, were sliced off at floor level and their severed limbs covered over with another layer.
This was reported in the Observer some years back. I seem to remember photos...

Back