• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Alan Moore's Watchmen

EnolaGaia said:
ghostdog19 said:
has it been confirmed that this is definitely 1 movie?

Good question! ...

Given the subject matter's 'cult' status and the usual Hollywood obsession with box office economics, I can't imagine them taking a chance on a multi-part series.
But given fan anticipation, Spidey movie turn outs, etc, there's a possibility it got a back-to-back deal. Ala Kill Bill in terms of release?

There's only one man who can play Rorschach -

Tom Waits.

Also Cary Elwes gets my vote for Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias.

Creamstick1 said:

Tom Waits.

As much as I don't even want the film to be made, that would be awsome enough to make me watch it and grin all the way through. The face, the voice, the presence. Good call....

Wun_oh_wun said:
Creamstick1 said:

Tom Waits.

As much as I don't even want the film to be made, that would be awsome enough to make me watch it and grin all the way through. The face, the voice, the presence. Good call....
Strangely, yes. I would have said too old. But, good call, indeed.

Or, that guy who played The Shoveller, in Mystery Men, William H. Macy :)

Two things I get from that interview: Snyder respects the source material, and he's really inarticulate.

Director Zack Snyder talks about Watchmen here.

The idea of Watchmen is not to do a CGI movie, but to do it when it's necessary. Like when Doc Manhattan goes to Mars, there's an issue here, we've got to figure that out. We can't go to Mars, I know, a lot people are going to be disappointed by that - but I just don't have the money. Antarctica also, there's no Carnac built there. I know, again, we should probably build it and then go film it there, but I don't think they're going let us do that. So those two things right off the bat you can think about. Dr. Manhattan himself, what do you do, how do you make him - how do you render him. Rorschach's mask. There's things that have to be dealt with and figured out. But I think that the appetite for me is to make a movie that feel's more like Taxi Driver than like Fantastic Four, again. So it's a balance.

Wun_oh_wun said:
Interview with Ron Perlman...

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=104931

Then Watchmen came up because [Hellboy producers] Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin have the rights to make the film version of that. They were pushing for me to play the Comedian.

I quite like that idea. Any thoughts..?
George Clooney for The Comedian, I'd have said. With that little Clark Gable Moustache.

Not looking good. Get Gilliam to do it.

EDIT - everyone, and I mean 'EVERYONE' will jump on it to be involved! And it will be so good!

Gilliam tried it and gave up on it. The Comedian wasn't even in his version by the end. Trouble is, Moore wrote Watchmen as something that could only really succeed in the comics medium.

Cast confimred:

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/this-is ... confirmed/

Jackie Earle Haley- Rorschach
Billy Crudup - Dr Manhattan
Malin Akerman - Silk Spectre
Matthew Goode - Ozymandias
Patrick Wilson - Nite-Owl
Jeffrey Dean Morgan - the Comedian

Wikipedia has links to their profiles if you are wondering who is who:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen_%28film%29#Cast

I like the way they haven't done any stunt casting or gone for big names for their own sake (seeing the possibles makes me wince - Tom Cruise, Jude Law and Keano Reeves!! ).

I think, for example, that Jeffrey Dean Morgan is a great pick and if he can pull it off he'll be a better choice than Ron Perlman (as much as I like his work).

Perhaps having a tight budget might pay off.

News, from Ain't it Cool News, of the first 'Behind The Scenes Video' for the new film version of 'Watchmen.' The green screens are visible and bare.

Here:
http://www.superherohype.com/news/watchmennews.php?id=7032

Or, here:
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=43692

Let's hope the film itself, is as good as the apparent attention to detail being shown on the set design.

Fair made ma teeth skite watter, so it did. ;)

Apparently, we'll still have to wait, though.
“Watchmen” opens nationwide on March 6, 2009.

But, have they changed the ending? :|

Just got hold of a copy and finished reading it.

(Ozymandas will have to eliminate me now; I know too much.)

I read it 15 years ago. Its everything as good as I remembered.

.....Zack makes good comic book movies and this looks like it maybe his best so far. Much anticipation from me.

I notice the trailer concentrates on the only character who has genuine superpowers, however...

But it can only be better than 300. I hope.

Agreed. Robert Downey Jr as The Comedian is inspired

But - well - y'know.......

Ravenstone said:

Robert Downey Jr isn't playing The Comedian, though.

I think it looks amazing but MY GOD, that music. It's as if the early part of the 21st century never happened.

Ravenstone said:

Sorry! I saw the clip and the guy playing the Comedian looked so much like Robert Downey Jr. that I just thought, 'natural choice for the part!' Typecasting in fact. I'm quite disappointed that it wasn't him now. :(

The acid test is how they handle the climax of the story.

Isn't he? Blimey, I thought the same as PM. I watched the clip, and he's the spitting image!

The character posters for the film are excellent & take their influence from Dave Gibbons original posters from the 80's.

http://www.comicmix.com/news/2008/08/02 ... originals/

watchmencomedianposter-00.jpg

comicconposter7tease-00.jpg

Oh dear.. saw the brilliant trailer the other week, and now this

Link

Film studio Twentieth Century Fox has applied to a Los Angeles court to block the release of Watchmen, based on the comic books written by Alan Moore.

Fox, which says it bought film rights to the series in the 1980s, has been given the go-ahead to launch an injunction against rival Warner Bros.

"We respectfully disagree with Fox's position and do not believe they have any rights," a Warners spokesman said.

Fox said it "will be asking the court to enforce our copyright interests".

'Copyright interests'

The movie, about flawed superheroes, has already been filmed and was due for release 6 March.

It stars Patrick Wilson and Jeffrey Dean Morgan and is directed by Zack Snyder, who made hit movie 300.

Last week US District Court Judge Gary Feess said Fox could hold some of the rights to the material, even if it did not hold all rights.

Fox spokesman Gregg Brilliant said it planned to stop the release of the movie and "any related Watchmen media that violate our copyright interests in that property".

His Warner Bros counterpart, Scott Rowe, said: "The judge did not opine at all on the merits, other than to conclude that Fox satisfied the pending requirements."

:cry:

Kevin Smith Has Seen Watchmen: "They Pulled It Off"

"I saw Watchmen. It's f**king astounding. The Non-Disclosure Agreement I signed prevents me from saying much, but I can spout the following with complete joygasmic enthusiasm: Snyder and Co. have pulled it off. Remember that feeling of watching Sin City on the big screen and being blown away by what a faithful translation of the source material it was, in terms of both content and visuals? Triple that, and you'll come close to watching Watchmen. Even Alan Moore might be surprised at how close the movie is to the book. March can't come soon enough."

LINK

mrbubz said:
Oh dear.. saw the brilliant trailer the other week, and now this

Link

Film studio Twentieth Century Fox has applied to a Los Angeles court to block the release of Watchmen, based on the comic books written by Alan Moore.

Fox, which says it bought film rights to the series in the 1980s, has been given the go-ahead to launch an injunction against rival Warner Bros.

"We respectfully disagree with Fox's position and do not believe they have any rights," a Warners spokesman said.

Fox said it "will be asking the court to enforce our copyright interests".

'Copyright interests'

The movie, about flawed superheroes, has already been filmed and was due for release 6 March.

It stars Patrick Wilson and Jeffrey Dean Morgan and is directed by Zack Snyder, who made hit movie 300.

Last week US District Court Judge Gary Feess said Fox could hold some of the rights to the material, even if it did not hold all rights.

Fox spokesman Gregg Brilliant said it planned to stop the release of the movie and "any related Watchmen media that violate our copyright interests in that property".

His Warner Bros counterpart, Scott Rowe, said: "The judge did not opine at all on the merits, other than to conclude that Fox satisfied the pending requirements."

:cry:

They're being absolute arseholes. They could have piped up years ago when it was first announced, but instead they've waited until it's finished and ready for release. Pricks.

maybe they think they'll get a better settlement that way... or a slice of te cake.

but yes, still pricks

Back