• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Alaska's Underground 'Dark Pyramid'

altered_boy

your friendly neighborhood alchemist
Anyone heard of this before? It's the legend of a pyramid underground, like 90 miles west of Denali in Alaska. Its supposed to be 4x the size of Giza, and produces enough electromagnetic energy to power north America if it could be harnessed properly.

It's something that has initially been reported by Linda Moulton Howe, who I'm sure most of you know for her work on Coast to Coast Am throughout the years and her work covering the cattle mutilations of the 90s.

Here is a quote from one of Howe's anonymous sources, detailing the supposed history of the pyramid's discovery. "
“The DEW (Distant Early Warning) Line System that we built in the early 1950’s took some 8,000 to 10,000 scientists, engineers and construction workers into the wilderness that had once seen only the occasional hunter, trapper, gold miner, or native Alaskan village… But in the planning of the White Alice and DEW Line Systems, there was one additional interest in the location and construction of the sites picked for a wax facility or DEW Line antennae, and that interest was electromagnetic interference (EMI). Anyone who has tried to listen to his or her AM car radio when you drive by a high voltage power line knows what EMI is, although maybe by a different name—we call radio static. EMI from the high voltage power lines interferes with radio reception and makes it almost impossible to hear or understand what is being received.

This is no different with a complex, long-ranged and (at the time) sophisticated, over-the-horizon communication system like White Alice that we were putting together up in the Alaska area. In fact, due to the nature of how the White Alice system operates, using back-scattered signals caused by atmospheric turbulence (which in effect causes radio signals to bounce off the ionosphere [what HAARP and HIPAS were designed for] and back down to earth over the horizon to receiving stations hundreds of miles away), it is even more sensitive to EMI because the atmosphere has propagation issues—there are sun spot effects from the sun, there are solar flares that produce the northern lights—that selecting the proper location for the antennas would be critical. Is it so surprising to think that in planning for the installation of the White Alice system in the mid to late 1950s (which was part of our DEW Line effort to set up an early warning system, to protect us from and for us to be able to know what might be coming from the Soviet Union over the North Pole) and taking and recording EMI levels at proposed White Alice sites, that someone might have detected an unknown source of extremely high EMI activity, and yet there would be nothing seen that is causing the problem.

Assume that you are part of a scientific team tasked with finding the unknown source of the extremely large EMI signature using a variety of highly technical measurement surveys to try to locate that signal, and finally determine that nothing was there. It is easy therefore to think that once the location of the EMI’s source was located, and with the Cold War tension that existed between the US and the Soviet Union, and that a remote location the Alaskan wilderness was identified as the location of a large unknown source of EMI, that due to its remote nature in Alaska, it would have seemed possible for a team of maybe Soviet military engineers to be in that country undetected, and maybe buried underground with some type of EMI generator that could disrupt the White Alice and radar DEW Line Communications. Instead, when they went there and they started going underground they discovered a large stone pyramid, perhaps 4 times the cubic volume of Cheops in Egypt.”

This is an article I wrote four years ago. It still holds up, but to be perfectly honest, I was still a lad when I wrote this. So don't judge too harshly as it is dated but its certainly good enough to peruse. I think it is safe to say it is the most collected summary of the Dark Pyramid and its lore on the internet.

http://www.thelastamericanvagabond.com/anthony-tyler/alaskas-ancient-pyramid/

What do y'all make of this? It's something I've had in the back of my mind for years, and it's an interesting story but it kinda baffles me.

but for the record, "mainstream science" found underground pyramids in Bolivia in 2016, so this is not something that is unheard of.

also, there are reports by one of Howe's sources that say there was an initial local broadcast by a news station when the pyramid was first found. this source is CIA warrant officer Doug Mutchler. there is an interview recorded between Howe and Mutchler that can be found online. but one of my family members, a drunken great uncle of mine, like 57 years old, swears to God that he saw this broadcast when it first aired. I even got in contact with Linda Moulton Howe and she took an official statement from this uncle of mine, although it was kind of insubstantial and I haven't heard her mention my uncle anywhere (nor did I expect to). and I don't know what to make of my uncle's claims, but he's not a liar or a showman. he's real straight up conservative guy aside from liking to drink, he wouldn't BS me on that.

so just another piece to the puzzle.

hopefully i'm not the only one here familiar with the Dark Pyramid!

Oh dear. LMH quoting an anonymous source.

I prefer the Weekly World News. It's more fun.

I find it worrying when they can't produce a photo of the phenomenon, or even a military report on it via FOI. Miss Howe is not exactly what I would call a reliable source, and I think it is unwise to take her at her word.

Miss Howe is not exactly what I would call a reliable source, and I think it is unwise to take her at her word.

got previous? oh dear.... :(

Four times the size of the (one assumes) Great Pyramid of Giza is rather a large object to ignore. Even if it was underground. Strange that it isn't out there with the other pyramids.

And the 'over the horizon' technology was a form of Radar. so there would be no requirement for receiving stations way off in the distance. Radio has been transmitting communications over the horizon for many decades.

Many here will remember the 'woodpecker'.

I can't give a thorough response right now, but just wanted to say that I 100% agree with all the skepticism out there. Howe quoting anonymous military sources screams DISINFO to me. But in every bit of lie there is a truth, right?

What if they found an anomalous mineral or metal formation or something that is a massive electromagnetic conductor, and they codenamed it "pyramid"?

I'm just stabbing at this for fun. Maybe even my uncle is just a drunk hahahaha that's even a possibility, although I have to give family its due.

Since I've been seeing things in the sky around here more lately, it got me thinking about all the mythos in Alaska... HAARP, the Pyramid, consistent UFO reports, and Sasquatch seem to be the recurring themes here. whether there is merit to them or not.

There are several problems with the Dark Pyramid story - the biggest one of which is the very thin and hearsay nature of all the claims for its existence. There's a difference between a stories which (a) have particular alleged facts which don't add up versus (b) don't provide enough particulars to evaluate the story in the first place. The Dark Pyramid falls into category (b).

Here are some things that require more specific information before this story can even be taken seriously ...

* Where is this alleged underground pyramid? All the accessible accounts (including yours) place it somewhere within a vast area west or northwest of Denali and bounded on the north and west by the Yukon River. I've found two sites that provide different alleged lat / long coordinates, but most specify nothing more than "circa X miles from Y" (where "Y" is usually Denali).

* This pyramid was supposedly discovered in the course of identifying a source of electromagnetic interference (EMI) evident on the surface. What sort of EMI is detectable at a distance from a source buried under what should be (in that area) dense granitic rock?

* This EMI was allegedly a source of concern for DEW / WACS - both of which relied on atmospheric scattering tactics in the microwave range. What sort of EMI screws with microwave-range transmission / reception in systems designed to detect the residue(s) of high-loss transmissions? More specifically - what sort of EMI screws with the highly directional multi-channel transmissions used in WACS when no WACS network links crossed the area in which the pyramid was supposedly discovered?

* There are zero facts provided about the search for the alleged EMI source or the discovery of the pyramid.

* Both DEW and WACS relied on large amounts of power to drive their transmissions. Why hasn't anyone entertained the notion the pyramid story is a hyper-inflated reference to one or another of the substantial power generation facilities associated with those projects?

* Seismographic surveillance for detecting nuclear explosions dates back to the 1950's, seismic surveys of Alaska date back to before WW2, and active seismic monitoring of Alaska (an active earthquake region) has been continuing since before the DEW / WACS projects. How does one explain no recognition of such an anomalous mass until 1992 - long after both DEW and WACS were rendered obsolete and decommissioned?

* Central Alaska is a region characterized by deep granitic masses pressurized by plate tectonic boundaries and a paleo-history of vulcanism. The presence of dense subsurface masses is anything but anomalous there. What seismic data was there circa 1992 that suggested a prominent mass among all the other subsurface masses?

Side Note: The retired Army counter-intel officer's name is spelled "Mutschler."

No, sometimes lies are 100% lie.

Point taken. Sometimes people lie outright. But if we are wrestling with semantics here I will rephrase my statement a bit: a GOOD LIE has to have a little bit of truth in it. I think this is a fact, because the elements of truth provide the believability. At the very least, this is absolutely the game that disinformation agents play. If your disinformation is not believable on any level than you've done your job poorly. So my overall point is, if the Dark Pyramid is fake, I consider it part of a government disinformation game. I think this would be evident through Howe's "anonymous military intel". But what are the believable parts? the truth to pan out of it? Maybe the believability is only as simple as tying it into the history of the White Alice Communications Systems. idk. just spitballing. I wouldn't wince if this Dark Pyramid was 100% fake.

@EnolaGaia holy Christ, you really broke it down. All I can do is salute you, because I don't even think I have much to add onto that. I pretty much call that a case closed, unless further details arise.

Aside from reading articles, I've never run across anyone else that has any background knowledge on this Alaskan pyramid. Full disclosure, the AK Pyramid was the first thing to get me into Fortean research, so I really only brought it up for nostalgia sake. I always considered it a long shot. However, I would be lying if I didn't wonder if "something of interest" was out there. Occam's razor would say not, but a guy can dream!

Always glad to find people capable of hacking these mythologies down to size. Cheers to you all

@AlchoPwn and @Frideswide I think LMH started out pretty scholarly, and I personally think she has let too many skeptical military-related people creep into her database, like vampires invited into a home. Definitely why I am skeptical of all ufology as a study

... @EnolaGaia holy Christ, you really broke it down. All I can do is salute you, because I don't even think I have much to add onto that. I pretty much call that a case closed, unless further details arise. ...

Thanks, but ... I just want to emphasize I wasn't claiming to debunk the case, but simply to highlight the sort of holes that need to be filled in (or at least addressed) before we can reasonably say there's a case to be examined in the first place.

With respect to another angle or perspective on this story ... I'm struck by how many memes / tropes / factors in this pyramid story match up with similar features of older Fortean / paranormal stories. For example:

- Ancient structures and / or entire cities found preserved underground in caves or chambers
- Pyramids as forms that create or manage energies (e.g., "pyramid power")
- The 1970's-era(?) fad for asking whether any ancient pyramid was actually a power station in some sense
- Lost city / city in the sky tales from Alaska, dating back to the Klondike Gold Rush days
- Mystery / magical power sources
- The really old-school Fortean topic of hollow earth / subterranean civilizations

My point is that these similarities provide a wider array of things to explore if only the Dark Pyramid story could be elevated to the status of a story fleshed out enough to warrant investigation. Conversely, these sorts of similarities practically force one to wonder what seed from a true story ended up getting embellished with a lot of off-the-shelf Fortean tropes or bits borrowed from earlier tales.

Another comment, before I forget it ...

There are a number of known geomagnetic anomalies in Alaska - e.g., places that screw up compass readings. This isn't the same thing as actively emanated energies or signals causing EMI. There seem to be a few such geomagnetic anomalies in the general region west / northwest from Denali. I wonder whether the Dark Pyramid story could have begun in connection to such geomagnetic weirdness rather than EMI per se. I can't think of a way geomagnetic oddities could have induced an operational problem for DEW or WACS.

There are a number of known geomagnetic anomalies in Alaska - e.g., places that screw up compass readings. This isn't the same thing as actively emanated energies or signals causing EMI. There seem to be a few such geomagnetic anomalies in the general region west / northwest from Denali. I wonder whether the Dark Pyramid story could have begun in connection to such geomagnetic weirdness rather than EMI per se. I can't think of a way geomagnetic oddities could have induced an operational problem for DEW or WACS.

Very interesting, I will have to look more into what could have potentially induced the problems with DEW or WACS.

hanks, but ... I just want to emphasize I wasn't claiming to debunk the case, but simply to highlight the sort of holes that need to be filled in (or at least addressed) before we can reasonably say there's a case to be examined in the first place.

Agreed. what I mean by "case closed" is more like, this current line of thought has reached its dead end. I think between LMH's ambiguity and the loose ends in practically all the claims within the pyramid lore, this story obviously can't be given much of any credit at face value. just the short time of this span of his thread has made more confident about that. like you say, researchers are really going to need to focus on what, if any truths can be sifted out of this pile of conjecture. i'm definitely gonna keep it on my backburner and research some more refined points of interest on the subject.

@AlchoPwn and @Frideswide I think LMH started out pretty scholarly, and I personally think she has let too many skeptical military-related people creep into her database, like vampires invited into a home. Definitely why I am skeptical of all ufology as a study

*chuckle* Nicely put altered_boy. BTW I found this nice little archive of sources relating to Pyramid Power LINK. I suppose we really need to ask the question, who do we know in Alaska who is prepared to go looking for an independent source of verification for this dark pyramid? I am more than a little concerned that the military is probably using LMH as a means of disinforming the public, but you never can tell...

I suppose we really need to ask the question, who do we know in Alaska who is prepared to go looking for an independent source of verification for this dark pyramid?

HA! I hear the Indiana Jones music playin the background. Something I've been planning to do for a long time, as my availability for research permits (I have a lot of irons in the fire).

In all honestly, I would be pretty scared to go looking for this supposed helicopter pad and mineshaft that leads down to the pyramid. I don't wanna die on a govt blacksite lol, but in terms of finding an independent source of verification? I will be on that. I have a few friends around here that have remained interested well. We're gonna see what we can find. Between this pyramid and the weird stuff I have been seeing in the sky, Alaska has suddenly given me more to sink my teeth into.

for now, I think I'm actually going to write a very small fictional piece on the Pyramid for this massive fictional fortean-esque database called the SCP Foundation. get my juices flowing a bit. i'll post any new details I find to this thread. cheers!

I don't wanna die on a govt blacksite lol, but in terms of finding an independent source of verification? I will be on that.

Speaking of which, have you signed up for Storm Area 51 yet ? I recommend the Timbers Lodging & Grill 2111 Windmill Circle, Alamo, NV 89001, USA•+1 775-725-3686, tho I think they are already booked out.

LMAO. good one. that is going to be a helluva interesting day in ufology. Seems like its gotten too big for some people to find the humor in. At this point I'm not wondering if anyone will actually show up, but how many. smh

LMAO. good one. that is going to be a helluva interesting day in ufology. Seems like its gotten too big for some people to find the humor in. At this point I'm not wondering if anyone will actually show up, but how many. smh
I noted the following on the Reservations tab for the Timbers Lodging and Grill site:

Storm Area 51 Event
This Policy applies to all reservations from Set.19th through Sept. 22nd 2019
For this time period we have a No cancellation/ NO refund policy that applies to all reservations.
Your credit Card will be charged 1 week prior to your arrival. No exceptions.

The Free market provides (at a mark up). I think that is evidence that local businesses are expecting the event to be real.

Al, you've probably made me laugh more than anyone on this forum. This is great. I just hope there isn't any violence over such wild miscommunication about this event. That would be a serious shame.

Al, you've probably made me laugh more than anyone on this forum. This is great. I just hope there isn't any violence over such wild miscommunication about this event. That would be a serious shame.
Life is too important to be taken seriously - Oscar Wilde

This does rather have an air of "there is some classified installation out there, and we'd much rather have people associate it with Weird Stuff than a plausible reason for spy types to come looking".

That said: I was curious, so I did the math, and to be four times the volume of the Great Pyramid, a conceptual dą̡rk͞ ̛͏py̡̕r̷͠a͜͝m̴i̸d̛̕ isn't really much bigger-- you'd have a square pyramid that's 365odd meters on a side as opposed to 230odd, and 232 meters as opposed to 146.

The opening lines read..

Anyone heard of this before? It's the legend of a pyramid underground, like 90 miles west of Denali in Alaska. Its supposed to be 4x the size of Giza, and produces enough electromagnetic energy to power north America if it could be harnessed properly...

Doesn't mention volume.

Doesn't mention volume.
I was going off the 'perhaps 4x the cubic volume' at the end of the bolded passage.
Not that I'm refuting anything-- nobody said it was gigunderous-- but I was curious how much bigger it would actually be

This does rather have an air of "there is some classified installation out there, and we'd much rather have people associate it with Weird Stuff than a plausible reason for spy types to come looking".

That said: I was curious, so I did the math, and to be four times the volume of the Great Pyramid, a conceptual dą̡rk͞ ̛͏py̡̕r̷͠a͜͝m̴i̸d̛̕ isn't really much bigger-- you'd have a square pyramid that's 365odd meters on a side as opposed to 230odd, and 232 meters as opposed to 146.
What is all that mess all over the word pyramid? I just tried to wipe it off of my screen :p

The point is, is anyone going to bother digging to reveal this 'object'.

Back