Albino Animals

Anonymous-50446

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Found: A Very Orange Alligator
A South Carolina community has a new resident.

By Sarah Laskow FEBRUARY 09, 2017

A residential community in Hanahan, South Carolina, just outside of Charleston, has a new denizen—an alligator of an unusual orange color.

Neighbors spotted the alligator and posted its picture on Facebook.

There are many animals that come in surprising, bright colors—the pink grasshoppers and blue lobsters of the world. But orange alligators are likely not born that way. In 2011, an orange alligator appeared in Venice, Florida, and was crowned the world’s first orange alligator. At the time, a Florida Fish and Wildlife representative told The Christian Science Monitor that the color likely came “from paint, stain, iron oxide or some other element in the environment that has left a coating on the animal, making it appear orange.”

Experts also suspect that the color of this newly found alligator comes from some environmental factor, rather than a genetic anomaly. One herpetologist speculatedthat algae could be the culprit; South Carolina’s Alligator Program Coordinator believes iron oxide (a.k.a. rust) from a steel pipe could have colored the alligator.

This orange beast won’t stay this way, though. Eventually it will shed its orange skin and turn back to its original color, likely an albino white.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/found-an-orange-alligator
At least we now know what they make Gatorade from...

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
It's a Trump alligator.

oldrover

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
First (of what turned out to be many) newt I ever say was orange. It was a palmate newt for those who are intrigued by newts. I was only about 10, I thought they were all that colour. Never saw another.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Albino croc encountered and photographed in Australia ...

Rare-white-crocodile-caught-on-camera-in-Australia.jpg

Rare white crocodile caught on camera in Australia
Tour boat passengers on an Australian river captured video of a rare white crocodile that swam up to the craft for a snack.

Shai Ager, an ecologist and passenger on the boat Sunday, said tour guides told them the crocodile's name is Pearl and she was first spotted in November.

"We saw the white albino crocodile and, as far as I'm aware, it was only seen last November so a lot of people weren't sure if it was still alive or not," Ager told the Australian Broadcasting Corp.

The croc was spotted on the Adelaide River, just outside of Darwin.

Ager said Pearl is estimated to be 40 to 60 years old. She said it is uncommon for white crocodile hatchlings to make it to adulthood. ...
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/0...?utm_source=sec&utm_campaign=sl&utm_medium=18

Fluttermoth

Mrs Treguard
Reaction score
I was going to point out that she's obviously not an albino (too much pigmentation, no red eyes), but I see they've addressed that in the video :)

She's a gorgeous creature, I hope she stays safe!

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
A RARE albino squirrel, thought to be one of only 25 in the UK, has been killed by a vehicle on a road. The animal was one of a small number of albino grey squirrels that have won the affection of families and children in the Edinburgh area over several years. While grey squirrels are usually vilified for preventing the spread of the native red variety, the pure white albinos are loved for their novelty. They have won sympathy as their white coats stand out and make them more vulnerable to predators, while albinos are also said to suffer from problems with their sight and hearing, which may have sealed the dead animal’s fate. There is thought to be just one rare albino remaining in the Capital.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....no-squirrel-killed-on-scottish-road-1-4807444

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think an albino porcupine has ever been reported on this thread before ...

All-white creature identified as rare albino porcupine
A curious visitor to a Maine train museum that resembled a white throw pillow or perhaps a lost toupee turned out to be a rare albino porcupine.

The young rodent turned up Tuesday at Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, perplexing the staff, who sought help identifying it via social media. The consensus was it’s an albino porcupine.

The Portland Press Herald reports the animal appeared to be a baby because its quills had not yet hardened. A spokeswoman for the museum said midday Wednesday that it hadn’t yet been seen again, but it was assumed to be lurking in the area.

... About one of every 10,000 of the species is an albino porcupine.
SOURCE (With PHoto): https://www.apnews.com/7136bf2b0da4489caa4cb8704f05e4f6

WanderingFox

Wide-eyed vulpine rambler
Reaction score
photo_2019-08-01_23-35-46.jpg

Apologies for the poor photo, but my camera's batteries thought this the ideal time to die on me, leaving me with my phone. These are three of four young mustelids I encountered on my way home last night, two of which were bright white! They were tumbling and rolling together halfway down a lane to a smallholding, and I was able to get within feet of them, as the photo indicates.

I thought, at first, they were polecats - which is incredibly exciting for me before you even take the white ones into account - but a family member noted the possibility they were escaped/feral ferrets. After all what are the chances of two leucistic/albino cubs in one wild litter?

What do you fine Fortean folk think?

(PS: Rest assured, next time I'm passing that way I'll have fully charged camera batteries and a fully charged headlight; just in case!)

Fluttermoth

Mrs Treguard
Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but those do look like ferrets to me; the wild, brown colour in ferrets is called 'polecat' though, and they are so closely related to polecats that they will hybridise.

Nemo

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score

Rare white squirrel photographed in Royal Deeside

A rare white squirrel has been photographed in Royal Deeside.
Experts said it was believed to be a red rather than a grey squirrel as it had the hairy ear tufts absent in greys.
The squirrel was snapped by conservationists working to protect red squirrel populations in the north east of Scotland.
They said they would now work to determine whether or not the animal was a "true albino" with red eyes.

Conservationist Dr Gwen Maggs said: "We will set up some remote cameras to try and get some better pictures with a clear view of its eyes.
"In any event, this is a rare and exciting discovery."
(c)BBC.'19

Reaction score

At Beamish Museum in County Durham they have a warehouse full of stuff that's been donated and they haven't found a home for yet. One section is full of stuffed animal heads and pinned butterflies, in which there's a glass case with two albino Red Squirrels.
A sign of how abundant Reds once were that someone was lucky enough to bag a brace.

Nemo

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Video alert!

White squirrel 'hotspots' investigated in Sussex

Claire Brimacombe was walking through a park in East Sussex last February, when her eyes suddenly fell on a white squirrel.
After she kept on the seeing the unusual rodent - only one in 100,000 are born albino - in the Alfriston park, she decided to start recording the sightings, noting apparent hotspots for them in the county.
Now a website she set up records white squirrel sightings from across the UK, and Claire has appealed for help in investigating why there seem to be so many across the country.
(C) BBC. '19

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
My stupid camera had auto focus, which meant that it tried so hard to keep the background in focus at the expense of what is directly in front and I couldn't override it. Anyway, there was something on the buddleia that was blurry enough to be a spider "ghost", but I've never had a spider rear up its front legs at me before when I tried to take a photo. There was a colony of albino scorpions at my local railway station (more common in the UK than people realise) but the body-shape here says garden spider even though the waving front legs were big enough to be claws.

Albino1192.jpg Albino1195.jpg

Reaction score
My stupid camera had auto focus, which meant that it tried so hard to keep the background in focus at the expense of what is directly in front and I couldn't override it. Anyway, there was something on the buddleia that was blurry enough to be a spider "ghost", but I've never had a spider rear up its front legs at me before when I tried to take a photo. There was a colony of albino scorpions at my local railway station (more common in the UK than people realise) but the body-shape here says garden spider even though the waving front legs were big enough to be claws.

View attachment 21445 View attachment 21446

That isn't an albino though, it's a Crab Spider.
http://uksafari.com/crabspider.htm

michael59

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Okay, hands up everyone who's seen a crab spider ("common in the Southern half of the UK") before.
As they eat bees I guess the Buddleia was a good spot to lurk (even though the spider was pure white).
I've never seen one before. You can't tell by the picture, so I'm wondering how common are they and how large do they get?

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
My stupid camera had auto focus, which meant that it tried so hard to keep the background in focus at the expense of what is directly in front and I couldn't override it.
Um, I may speak for other arachnophobes as well as myself when I say that it's probably just as well the spider wasn't in focus . . .

how large do they get?
I don't know either, Michael59, but in my imagination they are GIGANTIC!

Bad Bungle, if you want to take a picture of an albino butterfly or bee or something, see if your camera has something like a macro lens function. That allows you to take close ups that are nice and crisp.

Reaction score
I've never seen one before. You can't tell by the picture, so I'm wondering how common are they and how large do they get?
In the link I posted, 'Head and body - up to 10mm'.
Female Garden Spiders grow up to 13mm, so they are pretty large for UK spiders.

One interesting fact about Crab Spiders is that they can slowly change colour over a few days to match their surroundings. Either white, yellow or green so perhaps a lack of flowers in those colours forced this one onto a purple plant. Point being, they are masters of camouflage when they get the right kind of flower, so you'd be lucky to spot one at all.

Last edited:

michael59

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I don't know either, Michael59, but in my imagination they are GIGANTIC!
Mine too. :freak:

Back in in 1993, I was renting a small house. It had one of those sheds made of tin in the back yard. A white spider the size of a tarantula (I kid you not) made a web across the doors in the front and it was so thick we had a hard time breaking it apart. One of the neighborhood kids killed the white spider. I remember watching him as he did it, he was freaking out, I mean literally losing a grip on reality as he did this. He was screaming and jumping around as he mashed it into the ground. It was disturbing to watch. I think he was more afraid of spiders than I am.

It was the first time in my life I had ever seen a white spider.

Reaction score
Mine too. :freak:

Back in in 1993, I was renting a small house. It had one of those sheds made of tin in the back yard. A white spider the size of a tarantula (I kid you not) made a web across the doors in the front and it was so thick we had a hard time breaking it apart. One of the neighborhood kids killed the white spider. I remember watching him as he did it, he was freaking out, I mean literally losing a grip on reality as he did this. He was screaming and jumping around as he mashed it into the ground. It was disturbing to watch. I think he was more afraid of spiders than I am.

It was the first time in my life I had ever seen a white spider.
That's very odd. Where abouts do you live?