• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Aldeburgh

Dick Turpin

Justified & Ancient
I am taking the wife away to Aldeburgh this coming weekend. We were planning coastal walking to Walberswick and then taking the ghostly foot ferry over to Southwold, but it’s a 15 mile schlep.

Anyone here know any fortean locations in Aldeburgh in which don’t involve a 30 mile round hike..?

I am taking the wife away to Aldeburgh this coming weekend. We were planning coastal walking to Walberswick and then taking the ghostly foot ferry over to Southwold, but it’s a 15 mile schlep.

Anyone here know any fortean locations in Aldeburgh in which don’t involve a 30 mile round hike..?
Aldeburgh itself was the location of an early UFO sighting (a disc with men standing on it that moved over the town centre).

Aldeburgh was the setting for the MR James story A Warning to the Curious. The Guardian suggested this (quite short) walk in his footsteps:
https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2009/oct/30/aldeburgh-ghost-james

The Aldeburgh 'platform' ufo story is covered here:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/ufos-red-baron-shot-down-5219834

The church at Blythburgh has scorch marks on a door allegedly left by a visitation from Black Shuck, mentioned in: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Shuck
The church is pretty amazing anyway, even if the story has a mundane (meteorological?) explanation.

Thorpeness is quite close - an eccentric holiday village.

It was born of the imagination of the barrister and playwright Glencairn Stuart Ogilvie, the owner of nearby Sizewell Hall, who, just before the First World War, began transforming the fishing hamlet of Thorpe into Thorpeness, one of Britain's original holiday resorts.
Features houses of various designs - Swiss chalet, castle, mock Tudor, Jacobean etc.

This is the house in the air which hides a water tank, now unused but in use when the village opened.

82-suffolk.jpg

Six posts and no mention of Benjy Britten! Maybe he was not very Fortean, though he wrote operas on The Turn of the Screw and Owen Wingrave!

I have just dug out my Ward Lock Illustrated Guide to Aldeburgh and the Suffolk Coast. My copy was printed as late as 1947 but it is essentially a pre-war volume with evocative maps and b & w photos, presumably from the 1930s. The bound-in ads may also be pre-war, full of charities promising to house surplus boys on training-ships or export them to the antipodes. There is an ad for Burberry, when it was aimed at the shootin' set!

The South-East is an area I have never visited. If I get a moment, I might look up what the Guide had to say about some of the attractions already mentioned. :cooll:

Last edited:
Some years back my sister and I and our respective families stayed in a Church in Walberswick that had been converted into a large holiday home. We would put the kids to bed at night then the four adults would sit down with a drink and chat or watch the TV, but at times the atmosphere would change and could feel quite sinister. My wife and my sisters husband would never notice it but when it happened I would find me and my sister looking at each other in a knowing sort of way then get up and check on the kids. We never really discussed it after the holiday or in front of our spouses whilst still there.

from an earlier post of mine elsewhere on the forum

That's interesting. I recall in one of Wellesley Tudor-Pole's letters an off the cuff comment that when a church was deconsecrated, a kind of other-wordly vacuum would be created into which all kinds of negative influences would rush..

Thopeness mere always sounds interesting.

A lake with many islands in you can hire boats and act out all your Peter Pan fantasies.

That was the original idea, -it hasnt changed.

Back