• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
They replied to me.
"That photograph was taken at the Watts Gallery. Artists village. A very talented sculptor and painter from the Victorian era. "

Researching the predominantly US based, newspaper.com archives, this is the earliest, meaningful, reference to Mr Crowley I have come across.

From the Leavenworth Gazette, Kansas, 30 June, 1901.

(File size 45k 435x500, please let me know soon as, if there are any issues).

Screenshot_20200611_223938_resize_58.jpg

Snapshot, 1929...

... From the Ogden Standard Examiner, Utah... :dunno:

Attachments

• The_Ogden_Standard_Examiner_Sun__May_19__1929_ (1).pdf
    905.5 KB · Views: 31
The St Louis Post-Despatch, 1930 - is this image of the letter rare?

Attachments

• St__Louis_Post_Dispatch_Sun__Dec_14__1930_ (1).pdf
    620 KB · Views: 47
Boleskine couple feared for safety from stalker
October 30, 2020, 7:14 am
A north couple who are renovating the former home of “the wickedest man in the world” said they feared for their safety after being stalked by a man who became fascinated by the occult.

Panagiotis Pierrakos was this week forbidden from attending Boleskine House after scaring Keith and Kyra Readdy by repeatedly appearing at the property while they were restoring it following two devastating fires.

The 48-year-old frequently visited the B listed building, which was previously owned by occultist Aleister Crowley who famously proclaimed himself the “wickedest man in the world”. It was also previously owned by Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page

Full article at https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/f...eskine-couple-feared-for-safety-from-stalker/

Will there be tales of rooms being haunted...

Boleskine House: Permission sought to restore Cowley's former home

Source: BBC Scotland
Date: 1 December, 2020

Highland councillors look set to approve plans for the restoration of the ruined former home of notorious occultist Aleister Crowley.

Boleskine House, overlooking Loch Ness, was badly damaged by a blaze in 2015 before another fire ripped through the site in July last year.

Crowley was said to have performed occultist rituals at the property when he lived there between 1899 and 1913

The property was later owned by musician Jimmy Page, of Led Zeppelin.

The Boleskine House Foundation has sought planning permission for the rebuilding work, along with the reinstatement of its category B listing and for the construction of 10 holiday units.

[...]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-55135145

Highland councillors look set to approve plans for the restoration of the ruined former home of notorious occultist Aleister Crowley.

Boleskine House, overlooking Loch Ness, was badly damaged by a blaze in 2015 before another fire ripped through the site in July last year.

Crowley was said to have performed occultist rituals at the property when he lived there between 1899 and 1913

The Boleskine House Foundation has sought planning permission for the rebuilding work, along with the reinstatement of its category B listing and for the construction of 10 holiday units.

[...]

Hopefully they get the go-ahead. They were having some issues with people complaining, for obvious (and laughable) reasons!

Just came across this video about a DYBBUK box apparently acquired from Boleskine House and haven't seen as yet - looks like it might be interesting?

Something I had never heard of before and had to look up the meaning:

"DYBBUK (in Jewish folklore) a malevolent wandering spirit that enters and possesses the body of a living person until exorcised".

I wonder what could be inside... :omg:

If previously unseen, this is a BBC Scotland documentary from 2000:

Aleister Crowley: The Other Loch Ness Monster

A random find and again maybe of interest.

Looks like fun... I think...

ONE MAN HIDE AND SEEK (3AM CHALLENGE) IN BOLESKINE HOUSE

Just came across this video about a DYBBUK box apparently acquired from Boleskine House and haven't seen as yet - looks like it might be interesting?

Something I had never heard of before and had to look up the meaning:

"DYBBUK (in Jewish folklore) a malevolent wandering spirit that enters and possesses the body of a living person until exorcised".

I wonder what could be inside... :omg:

Well, I spent 60 seconds FF-ing through that, and my opinion is that whoever sold him that, saw him coming.

At least the 647 "unique" vampire hunter's kits you can buy on eBay usually have a genuine antique pistol and crucifix in them.

maximus otter

the Aleistar Crowley Holiday Fun Camp? Will there be a theme park?

This is my favourite band of the moment, a quirky Russian folk-rock combo treating us to a scenic riverboat journey down the river Neva in Leningrad, as was. Well, St Petersburg. it's a jolly tune, well played, everybody having a whale of a time, and Len... St Petersburg... comes across as a very attractive appealing place. Nice feelgood video suggesting this is a Russian city with a good sense of the quirky and the absurd.

The reason I post it here. Watch at about the two minute mark for the bloke leaning on the bridge parapet looking down. It's Aleistar, I tell you. The cunning bugger faked his own death and moved to Russia. (OK, there's also a pirate captain at 1:22. is this city a haven for oddball Russians?)

Researching the predominantly US based, newspaper.com archives, this is the earliest, meaningful, reference to Mr Crowley I have come across.

From the Leavenworth Gazette, Kansas, 30 June, 1901.

(File size 45k 435x500, please let me know soon as, if there are any issues).

View attachment 27110
Ack he was as bad a poet as I'd imagined he was.

[...]

Yes, my old uni friend mentioned upthread was Jimmy Page's girlfriend for a year or so, and she lived in that house, briefly, I guess. I could kick myself that, at the time, I was totally incurious about the whole thing.

I managed to buy a copy of Magick Without Tears on ebay for just $10 the other week. I suspect the seller made a mistake or didn't know what they had (it's the red paperback, usually goes for upwards of £70)! :D

I managed to buy a copy of Magick Without Tears on ebay for just $10 the other week. I suspect the seller made a mistake or didn't know what they had (it's the red paperback, usually goes for upwards of £70)! :D
There are a number of Crowley publications free to download at the following link but Magick Without Tears, unfortunately, is not one of them.
https://darkbooks.org/collection/Aleister-Crowley.html

I have all of Crowleys stories. They're like the most horrific things to read but his use of words and his imaginatio n is brilliant. His actual magic I've always thought was a little mish mashy. But I suppose he was trying to build from different traditions and cultures.
I've read many books by Witches, one Warlock and one Wordwyker. All seem really nice. There is one who is a proper shouty feminist, but once you get used to her she's alright too.
There is unrest in a small number of anti Chris t satanic groups. But otherwise they generally keep to them selves.

Crowleys Simon Iff stories inspired The Dressden Files tv show. But the creators have never admitted it. Dresden is Simon Iff.

Also the sex thing. Members have to be minimum 18 . The sun (man) and moon (woman) ritual is usually done by the married couple in the Covent. Or people have known each other for a long time. But it's not always fully practiced because covens have decreased thank to the web. So it would only be saved for one off special occasions. In private.

Crowleys Simon Iff stories inspired The Dressden Files tv show. But the creators have never admitted it. Dresden is Simon Iff.
Originally a series of books by Jim Butcher. I don’t know how much the books and TV series differ but it’s possible the TV people have no idea who Simon Iff was and it was just their take on Butcher’s character which he himself may have based on Iff.

Originally a series of books by Jim Butcher. I don’t know how much the books and TV series differ but it’s possible the TV people have no idea who Simon Iff was and it was just their take on Butcher’s character which he himself may have based on Iff.
Yes it's probably Jim Butcher who based it on Iff.

Did Crowleys magik work? Crowley helped Winston win the war. With the V sign. His stuff could of been real. I think Crowley loved the image of him being seen as the most evil person in the world.

Did Crowleys magik work? Crowley helped Winston win the war. With the V sign. His stuff could of been real. I think Crowley loved the image of him being seen as the most evil person in the world.
Whatever Crowley was he was a great self publicist. Yes he claimed to have give inspiration for the V for Victory sign, but this has only ever been said by Crowley himself or others repeating him, as far as I am aware there is no independent verification of this.

And Crowley as the most evil person in the world - yes he loved that as that is how he described himself. The Beast.

Back