• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
It's not just'im. When sociology was the big new thing, it was written up in deliberately obfuscatory styles to make it sound complex and important. Using huge obscure words where simple ones would do was way of showing how intellectual you were, Dude. (It was usually dudes.) Pretentious and pathetic.
Still is like that. I've criticised social psychology stuff for that very point (without success of course). Even worse is some 'critical social psychology' which, in the guise of challenging assumptions (like any proper science) introduce even more new words and frankly a whole load of guff that just makes it worse.

It doesn't take much of anything good to put together ideas and hypotheses which either can't be verified, repeated or worse, won't be in case they turn out to be bunk.

‘Cook What Thou Wilt’ with these Aleister Crowley-themed kitchen utensils
Facing boredom in your food-life? Ever wondered what it takes to become “Wickedest Chef In The World”? Then why not try spicing up your culinary time—as well as your kitchen decor—with these Aleister Crowley-themed cooking utensils?
Sprung from the mind and will of Sheffield-based visual artist Stuart Faulkner, these hand-tooled (and strictly limited edition) sets of kitchenware are available to buy from the website of occult gift shop Airy Fairy, or directly from the artist himself at his website stuartfaulkner.com.

The spoons cost just a measly £6.66 (what else?) and the chopping board can be yours for only £23.

Source: http://dangerousminds.net/

Incredible. Is this one of yours, Fr?
AC in Deep Dream

6905afad-30ad-472a-a530-5dbca4623cf3.jpeg

Interesting little article about Allan Bennett, nothing new on him, but good to see as he doesn't usually get the coverage or credit he deserves.

The Great Beast and The Buddhist

Posted By: Chad Eagleton Oct 23, 2017

The man who taught Aleister Crowley magic was the same man who helped bring Buddhism to the west, yet you’ve probably never heard of Charles Henry Allan Bennett.

Allan Bennett was born in London in 1872. Bennett’s father was a civil engineer and passed away when he was still a child. His father’s death and Bennett’s severe asthma meant that Allan grew up both sickly and in severe poverty.

Despite his impoverished upbringing, Bennett was educated at Hollesley College and trained as an analytical chemist. Unfortunately, his poor health made it difficult for him to keep steady work.

http://disinfo.com/2017/10/great-beast-buddhist/

To quote myself - from too many years back to think comfortably about:

Apropos of nothing (sorry to butt in) a nice story about Crowley - probably apocryphal, but I like it.

Dylan Thomas was drinking and doodling aimlessly on a napkin in a pub on The Strand in London when he noticed the "Great Beast" himself staring at him across the soggy carpet and discarded dog ends. Crowley had also been drawing on a note pad and when he left he dropped a sheet of paper on the world-champion endurance drinker and Welsh poet’s table. When Thomas finally screwed up the courage to look at the paper he found an exact replica of his own doodle...

According to Peter Bushell’s book, London’s Secret History, the above incident took place at the Coal Hole - and as I was passing the place a couple of weekends ago I decided to do some forensic drinking.

The Coal Hole is high, narrow and L shaped, with the front door, which opens onto the Strand, at the top end of the long part of the L. Crowley would want to be seen, but also to observe - and he'd want a bit of distance between himself and the subject. The seats opposite the bar would potentially involve having his field of vision restricted by punters, and leave him with his back to the audience. He could have sat in the short bit of the L but that would mean he wouldn't see who was coming in and going out.

I reckon the great beast sat where I did, right here - by the door, looking along the bar. And I'd take a guess that Thomas was sat doodling at that bar, or at the seats on the right along the opposite wall.

ch2.jpg

I did not feel the presence of Crowley's bottom - which is probably just as well; however, some unseen thing did disappear my tipple over the course of twenty minutes or so.

A double Auchentoshan with a splash of water - by the way.

I saw Richard Harris in the Coal Hole many moons ago. Mrs. Heckler utterly star struck asked for his autograph and suddenly struggling for something to say as he signed said the the first thing that came into her head "My mom likes your films".

I saw Richard Harris in the Coal Hole many moons ago. Mrs. Heckler utterly star struck asked for his autograph and suddenly struggling for something to say as he signed said the the first thing that came into her head "My mom likes your films".

Long time since I've been there, but--like a good many pubs, no doubt, Farage has been known to knock back one or two in there.

I forget the name of his regular in London, but that isn't it...

I was born in the same town as Aleister Crowley - Leamington Spa. The former Crowley residence still stands, as part of a row of Edwardian terraced town houses in Clarendon Square.

You won't find a commemorative plaque. Funnily enough.

But interestingly enough this square of houses was used by the BBC a few years back, as the fake frontages of London Townhouses for a remake of Upstairs Downstairs.

Crowley spent the last few years of his life and died here in Hastings, in honour of this a pub has just renamed itself "Crowleys". It is said that just before he died that he cursed the town,....well it does have a much higher crime and social problem than most towns, but I think it's always been like it. Was reading about him a few years ago, someone with my surname used to take him on a drive out in the country occasionally, knowing some of my relatives I could easily believe it was one of them.

I watched a very interesting programme on TV last night about Aleister Crowley. I'd heard of him and his connections with the occult, of course, but that was about the extent of my knowledge.

By gum, he were a bad bugger!!

What's your opinion of him? Did he really have the power to summon evil forces? Was he possessed by evil spirits? Was he just plain evil or merely misunderstood?

Carole
He was a very clever man carole.you should read more about him.

crowley.jpg

Crowley: The Beast in Berlin - by Tobias Churton
Here's the podcast interview with Jason Louv. Churton says Al has been almost completely misrepresented in the media over the last 100 years.

Same. I'm leaving Crowley's work until later after I've had a decent grounding in the basics of magical living. I guess I have a historical bias against him due to his reputation. But I also know he was a very powerful magician, and I'm not ready to start entertaining the bigger picture quite yet.

Reputation is only what we/you read hear about someone.it would have been good to actually have known him and saw his workings in real time.

Crowley had a house on the shore of Loch Ness, so do members think that might have had something to do with the monster sightings, or is it just coincidence?
Perhaps dabbling in the occult opened some kind of "doorway" to another dimension through which the monster could come and go?

More recently owned by a member of Led Zeppelin, I believe....
Wm.

Yeah, and the place caught fire a few years ago, maybe a fire-breathing dragon monster had something to do with it?...:)

WIKI- At approximately 1:40 pm on 23 December 2015, a motorist reported flames and smoke coming from Boleskine House.
When fire crews attended, it is estimated up to 60 per cent of the building had already been incinerated, with flames rising up to 20 feet (6 m) high. The firefighters concentrated on the west wing of the house, as the rest of the building had been severely damaged.
The owner's partner and daughter had gone shopping and returned to find the house ablaze.The fire was thought to have started in the kitchen, however nobody was believed to be in the house at the time of the fire and there were no casualties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boleskine_House#Conflagration_(2015)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below- a guy in this article notes the houses apparent link to the deaths of some rock stars-

boleskine-78.jpg

https://www.truthspoon.com/p/boleskine-house-in-scotland-dark-seat.html

Yeah, and the place caught fire a few years ago, maybe a fire-breathing dragon monster had something to do with it?...:)

WIKI- At approximately 1:40 pm on 23 December 2015, a motorist reported flames and smoke coming from Boleskine House.
When fire crews attended, it is estimated up to 60 per cent of the building had already been incinerated, with flames rising up to 20 feet (6 m) high. The firefighters concentrated on the west wing of the house, as the rest of the building had been severely damaged.
The owner's partner and daughter had gone shopping and returned to find the house ablaze.The fire was thought to have started in the kitchen, however nobody was believed to be in the house at the time of the fire and there were no casualties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boleskine_House#Conflagration_(2015)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below- a guy in this article notes the houses apparent link to the deaths of some rock stars-

View attachment 14542
https://www.truthspoon.com/p/boleskine-house-in-scotland-dark-seat.html

Yup, it was the totally accidental house fire that caused all those rock star deaths, certainly not years of drug and alcohol abuse.

Yup, it was the totally accidental house fire that caused all those rock star deaths, certainly not years of drug and alcohol abuse.

Ah, but we could speculate that if Boleskine House was a swing-door "portal" to the twilight zone, demons could have kept kept popping through to lodge in the star's minds to mess them up..;)

Last edited:
AN OVERVIEW
(The following 4 pics are all tagged "Imagery date 2011")

1- Boleskine Ho sitting overlooking Loch Ness-
Boleskine1.jpg

2- A view from outside the cemetery, Boleskine is hardly visible-
Boleskine2.jpg

3- And glancing left we see the cemetery and the waters of Loch Ness beyond-
Boleskine3.jpg

4- About a hundred yards along the road we see this gate to Boleskine and the curving driveway up to it.
(sorry can't make out what the red sign says)-
boleskin-4.jpg

Back