• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
It's not just Alex Jones saying this. James Woods said it too.
Michael Moore has been saying some stuff to stir it up too.
Calmer heads will prevail.

Well...if he was a racist, he wouldn't employ them in the first place.
It's more or less uncontroversial to describe the slave-owners of the antebellum southern US as 'racist'. But they sure had a lot of black people working for them.

Hugh Hefner was arguably a bit of a sexist, but he had a lot of women on the payroll.

Slavery is obviously an extreme case, but there's no law that says you have to respect the people who work under you. In fact it often seems to be the other way round.

This is nothing to do with whether Alex Jones is personally racist or not.

So, did the civil war kick off yet?

So, did the civil war kick off yet?

It's going to be like the end of the world, isn't it? Every time it doesn't happen they'll claim that they just got their calculations a bit wrong and that actually, know what, it's going to be on such and such a date after all. And the same pisswits who believed them the first time round will still be lapping it up when they're on their hundredth regurgitation.

I was at a barbecue yesterday, and looking out the window this morning there's no fighting in the streets. Did we win?
Yes, the sensible people won.

It's not just Alex Jones saying this. James Woods said it too.
Michael Moore has been saying some stuff to stir it up too.
Calmer heads will prevail.

On behalf of the many sensible Murricans, I'd like to apologize. Unfortunately, we have more than our share of droolers. I suppose we have earned them, but that doesn't make them any less obnoxious.

Make America Smart Again

On behalf of the many sensible Murricans, I'd like to apologize. Unfortunately, we have more than our share of droolers. I suppose we have earned them, but that doesn't make them any less obnoxious.

Make America Smart Again

Oh, believe me - the UK has more than its fair share of window-lickers too. It just that the only way they can get on YouTube is by shouting abuse at black people on underground trains - and they don't get the advertising revenue.

Alex Jones is under pressure from the US Congress.

What did he do to get a ban? Oh right, nobody liked his voice.

Who will warn me about the gay frogs?

It's ironic that 'Turning the Freaking Frogs Gay' has become the funny stick with which to beat Alex Jones because if you discount the mangled telling there is a kinda, sorta kernel of truth in the story--far more than in some of the tales he peddles.

https://people.howstuffworks.com/alex-jones-and-infowars-fact-or-tinfoil-fiction.htm

For the record, despite nobody asking, I don't think Infowars should be banned from any platform, and I completely agree with GNC that now is far, far too late in the day in any case.

I think you all realise that I am not a devotee of Alex Jones, but I don't believe in censoring voices just because I don't believe what they say. And no matter how often the general public disappoints you have to let them make up their own minds instead of controlling what they hear.

Jones has been banned from YouTube at last. Talk about closing the stable door after the horse has bolted, mind you.

I think Sandy Hook has maybe finally done for the gobshite. Lord knows he deserves it for what those families have been through. I'm all for bringing a clown to the feast - telling the truths that none of the rest of us dare; but 'truth' is the operative word - the only thing that separates a Feste from a Iago is what comes out of their mouth.

And before someone beats the freedom of speech drum: you squander your freedom of speech to tell lies that not only hurt those already broken by tragedy, but ultimately lead to them being threatened with physical violence, then if there's any justice in the world you take the consequences. Fuck, yes - you do.

This isn't a freedom of speech issue for the US. Private companies can restrict speech if they want to, freedom of speech is for the government restricting speech.

It's ironic that 'Turning the Freaking Frogs Gay' has become the funny stick with which to beat Alex Jones because if you discount the mangled telling there is a kinda, sorta kernel of truth in the story--far more than in some of the tales he peddles.

https://people.howstuffworks.com/alex-jones-and-infowars-fact-or-tinfoil-fiction.htm

For the record, despite nobody asking, I don't think Infowars should be banned from any platform, and I completely agree with GNC that now is far, far too late in the day in any case.

I think you all realise that I am not a devotee of Alex Jones, but I don't believe in censoring voices just because I don't believe what they say. And no matter how often the general public disappoints you have to let them make up their own minds instead of controlling what they hear.
He has his own video servers, so he isn't off the air completely.
But I agree, free speech has been compromised. I don't watch him, don't agree with very much he comes out with, but I think censoring him because he has 'unpopular' opinions is dubious.

I think Sandy Hook has maybe finally done for the gobshite. Lord knows he deserves it for what those families have been through. I'm all for bringing a clown to the feast - telling the truths that none of the rest of us dare; but 'truth' is the operative word - the only thing that separates a Feste from a Iago is what comes out of their mouth.

And before someone beats the freedom of speech drum: you squander your freedom of speech to tell lies that not only hurt those already broken by tragedy, but ultimately lead to them being threatened with physical violence, then if there's any justice in the world you take the consequences. Fuck, yes - you do.

For the avoidance of doubt, I don't dispute that these big media firms have every right to ban Alex Jones, but as soon as they do they lose the moral right to sell their service as an unfettered channel for speech. As far as I can see, Inforwars has not violated U.S. law.

(Happy to be corrected on that)

For the avoidance of doubt, I don't dispute that these big media firms have every right to ban Alex Jones, but as soon as they do they lose the moral right to sell their service as an unfettered channel for speech. As far as I can see, Inforwars has not violated U.S. law.

Censorship/moderation happens everywhere. Even on this board! :hapdan:

As my previous post probably suggests - I think this is absolutely to do with the current Sandy Hook related litigation, and the fact that these platforms have been used to disseminate untrue statements about named individuals (all, basically, for financial profit). Certainly, defamation laws and the First Amendment often make awkward neighbours, but there are instances where the former prevail. If that's deemed to be the case here then Infowars and/or Alex Jones have broken US law.

Censorship/moderation happens everywhere. Even on this board! :hapdan:

For the further avoidance of doubt, the FTMB is not an unfettered channel for free speech and posts here are subject to the limits of British law.

Only moderately free speech here.

His conspiracy theories are mostly bullshit, but the stuff he produces are entertaining and do occasionally watch some of his stuff or read conspiracy news on his website. I think they're doing a big mistake. When he's first removed, when will they go after all the other fringe news websites? It will make internet a more boring place.

For the further avoidance of doubt, the FTMB is not an unfettered channel for free speech and posts here are subject to the limits of British law.

A kind of C of E version: Certainly Ms Daventry, you are free to make whatever comment you like about the curate's alleged night-time habits, in private. But if I read the words 'goat' and 'custard' again, in regard to this matter, in the minutes of the church hall roof commitee, then I will have no other option but to reconsider any future provision of Jaffa Cakes to your Saturday coffee mornings.

But posts which don't breach British Law are also deleted. Youtube doesn't claim to be an unfettered channel for free speech, it has detailed community standards which posters are required to adhere to. Just as FTMB has community standards separate from British Law.

Last edited:
Back