• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"Alice in Wonderland" Syndrome

IbnRobert

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I just briefly read on another thread a poster mention something called the "Alice in Wonderland" Syndrone, the Big/Small effect of objects that affected them when they had a fever. It kind of shook me a bit cos i remember when i used to have violent migraine attacks and spend days on end vomiting, experiencing this disturbing illusion, even up to now i thought of it as an onset of madness due to the stress caused by constant vomiting for days, sometimes 2 weeks.

Can anyone provide anymore info on this?

Thank you in advance...

I remember something like this too.. it only came to me when I read your post Bruce. I'm not sure if it was related to the fact that I was quite a sickly kid.. I had heart surgery and pneumonia in quick succession which left me pretty weak for a long time. Anyway, I remember regularly having bizarre hallucinations. Rats running up my bedroom walls, black swans swimming about the hallway outside my bedroom and most commonly, strange sinister black shadows moving slowly around the room...and then (because I was obviously making some sort of noise) my Mum would step out of her bedroom into all the madness..and while she would be tucking me in and trying to reassure me that there were no swans or shadows in the room, I'd still be looking at them over her shoulder...

I also remember that this was usually accompanied with a very odd "out-of-body" feeling. Like, I would spend ages looking at my hands and touching things... feeling very strangely that my hands were not my own. It was always my hands that this was focused on. They didn't even look right to me.

I haven't had this feeling for many years - but it was a pretty regular occurance for a long time in my childhood.

My bf always tells me that he gets hallucinations when he has a fever. This always concerns me as I had never heard of this (except maybe with an extremely high "you should be in the hospital" kind of fever). Anyway, it's good to know that other people have had this.

We have a long thread on this, called the 'big/small thing' or something like that.

It features my brother's experience of driving along a mile-wide motorway with 100 lanes! :lol:

Back when I was a young lad, I had a similar experience. Perchance children's perception of their bodies is more fragile than adults?

When my brother was younger and he got a bad cold or the flu, he'd experience the walls "moving" too. And also some of the things he said seemed quite, quite mad. It never happened to me so it seems to be something specific. I think it's to do with motion/car sickness personally, as he had a problem with that too (and he's always talked in his sleep, which is what I attribute the fever-induced nonsense to :) )

Yeah, this is deep stuff. I remember that too, focusing "too much" on something, like my hand, or a small dot on the wall or a toy car or something, and zooming in on it aggressively, and just freaking out and getting this madness touch in my head. It was horrible stuff, more worse than the sickness itself. I remember once hallucinating, the first time ever. I have an innate fear of wasps, and I was ill, laying there in the middle of winter under the covers feeling exhausted. For some reason I just had the fear building up inside me that a wasp was in the room, and when I peeped out the covers, there it was, a big mother too, buzzing around near the ceiling. I remember I nearly soiled myself. It then dawned on me that it was the middle of winter, and when i peeped out again it was gone, but it was soooooo real that it was freaky.

Yup, the migraines were a bit of a hinderance on my younger years, still is a bit.

I always wanted to air this. When I was about 12 yrs, I went to some really poxy small fun fair, where a friend of mine "knew" the owner of a carousell (the ones with seats on chains, that fly outwards). Therefore we could have a "go" as often as we liked. On one of these turns something really strange happened. I was concentrating on my feet and watching the ground go past, when I suddenly had the feeling that the floor was getting further and further away (or that I was lifting off). I knew that If I looked up , the illusion would go, so I kept staring at my feet. I couldn't believe that eventually I could see the people from above and more scarily, I could see onto the roof of a nearby building in all clarity. I could see the whole chimney (only marginally visible from the ground) and all the other rides and details from above, I could even see what was in the distance. I kept looking as long as I could when the ride ended slowly and I "broke" the spell by looking up. Immediately everything was back to the right size and distance. It was absolutely amazing.
I know it was some kind of self-induced trance but I loved the details and the way it seemed to really happen. It wan't fuzzy or made up, it felt as if I had really taken off for a while.

Mmmm. The Big-Small thing must be reasonably common and after I first heard the Pink Flloyd song noted above, I surmised it was an automatic side effect of fever. I first experienced it when very young. It's good when you're young, because you observe odd occurrences without censor. So you get the full effect without the the conditioned scepticism of older folk.

I had a fantastic experience during fever when quite young; it consisted of a screen filled with motor bikes racing all over the place in close-up. The sound was deafening. Then the bikes suddenly stopped and a hum commenced. Everything was dead silent apart from the hum or whine noise. Then from the right, a ball or sphere appeared. It slowly rolled across the 'screen' of my vision, growing larger as it grew closer. The perspective was very realistic. Then, still with a background hum, the ball slowly rolled to the right, growing smaller. I think the silence was so profound that it sounded like a hum; not a hum, but impossible to describe. Immediately the silently rolling sphere vanished, the roaring, careening motor bikes began again, filling the screen with wheels, spokes; motor bikes everywhere. Then everything became silent once more, and the tiny ball approached from the right, growing larger and larger, rolling hypnotically and accompanied by the pervasive humming silence; other worldly hum; not human. At the time I'd never seen a screen of any kind; no TV in those days.

The Big-Small thing is quite enjoyable. Usually you're not in a usual mind-state anyway because of the fever. When I was in my late teens and living alone, I had a ferocious fever. Didn't have a telephone and there was no-one to notice if I was ill, so I just had to lie there, drifting in and out of consciousness, with everything enlarging and shrinking. Accompanying all of this was a feeling as if my veins were filled with steel wool (that steel fibre stuff used for scrubbing saucepans). It felt as if the steel wool were trying to push through my veins, scraping and scratching as it went. It produced a feeling of irritation and restlessness so strong that I thought I'd go mad; I thrashed my arms and legs against the bed and rocked my head back and forth rapidly, just to ease it. When I finally recovered and went to the doctor, he investigated my nails and pointed out that the skin beneath them was covered with red spots, like measles. This is an indication that extremely high fever has occurred, apparently.

Another thing I remember from childhood is spinning Tops. Don't know if they have them anymore; they were made of tin and brightly painted in concentric circles with patterns on them. The handle was plunged several times before the top was released; they would have been about 20 cms in diameter. I remember the feeling occasioned by watching these tops as they spun hynotically across the floor. I realise now that they induced an altered state; caused by concentration on the spinning, circular designs and the hum created by holes deliberately cut into the surface of the Top, which, when spinning, created a unearthly humming sound. Very enjoyable, altered states in early childhood .. unforgetable, too.

When I used to have a fever as a child I used to "see" Roman centurions in the far distance, as tiny as pinheads and with every pulsing beat of my heart (which sounded fantastically loud) they would march towards me, and I would sweat more profusely as they gained shape. I used to cry out for my parents before they came too near to "get me".
Another weird one but very frightening at the time was when it was very quiet and I was starting to recover, I would see a pig with an evil grinning face flying slowly across the ocean towards me. I suppose I mixed up the saying "pigs might fly", but even now when I pass a desk at work I hate looking at a pink pig hanging from the ceiling. Funny how things like that stay with you.

Fascinating forum here, I often read posts at 3am when I am on a night shift and it can be very unnerving when I go off to patrol the empty office blocks.
I've had a few strange things happen in my life which I will post one day. I've been lurking long enough!
I'm at work now on Xmas Day would you believe! Anyway a very merry Xmas to you all and thanks for the fantastic and enthralling stories about the things that happen to you in this very Fortean World of ours.

Welcome Valda!

Have a good Xmas, even if you are working!
(I've worked a few in my time.)

Thank you Rynner, I see you are a prolific poster here.
I'm off now to check the empty building in my silver sparkly hat. I can pretend I am Queen of the office block, and yes I am sober!!
Happy New Year to you and everyone on the forum.

fever dreams?

This is a fascinating thread, and although I have never experienced this syndrome, my sister used to suffer childhood fevers. She used to describe, at the height of the fever, seeing a Russion Doll (where a smaller size fits into the a larger size and so on) spinning in the air in front of her and then the various sized dolls emerging and spinning in formation. Ultimately they would all fit back inside each other and then it would all begin again. When I had a fever in childhood it was always a young boy I saw - didn't know him, never met him since - who sat on the end of the bed blowing bubbles from one of those cans of bubble mix you used to be able to buy then.....the bubbles would float in the air in front of me and then fade away ...

A few years ago, when I think I was 17, I had a very bad case of food poisoning and was vomiting every 5-10 minutes. It was the middle of the night and eventually the exhaustion and my rising temperature made me hallucinate. I've never actually hallucinated before, so it was pretty trippy. Several people I knew online were there (including one who spent the entire time in the left of my vision insulting me). Strangely enough the hallucination had a plot- I travelled to a temple (although I knew I was still in my bed and not moving, the things travelled past me like I was moving) to collect some sacred objects. Another person I knew online was there guarding them, with weapons called 'The Millenium Sickles' (a reference to an anime there). Another person was there, who said she would use the sickles "To seperate the worthy from the unworthy, like wheat from the chaff". It was rather disturbing, since although I partially realised I was hallucinating, it still seemed like I was in real danger of being killed.

With the big-small thing, with my hallucination although that didn't happen, it seemed like I had a much wider range of vision...270 degrees around. I could see far much more than someone could normally.It was almost like my eyes were on the sides of my head.

yeah i think I posted in the other thread about this too.
I have spoken to two other people about it and they finished off my sentance before i could tell them.I got (and still do but now more occasionally) the big small visions in my head which would set my teeth on edge.I would see the tiniest speck and then it would be zoomed in on in a fraction of a second until it was huge and taking up the whole of view.It would do this back and further for as long as it wanted and couldn't be stopped or moved on from.

'The infinitismal and the infinite' -The incredible Shrinking man

I reckon there is something built in the human brain that we have from our time in the void.The closest thing and the furthest thing away are right next to each other on the circlular path of existance.

It's only ever happened to me once - I had chickenpox when I was 19. I had to go and get my prescription from the local chemist. As I walked down the road the houses on each side of the street stretched above me and almost touched above my head.

I used to get the growing/shrinking thing when I was a kid and running a high fever. What I remember is distinctly different from other kinds of fever hallucinations. It was a feeling that parts of my body - my head, my hands - and sometime my bed and bed covers had suddenly become huge, astronomical in scale, light years in size. There was also this sense of physical existence - corporality - as being just awful, and somewhat nauseating. It is not a sensation that I miss at all.

I used to get a variation on this when I was ill where I would imagine a huge panic, people shouting, etc., which would suddenly be shrugged off as if it hadn't mattered at all. It wasn't a speciific feeling, but reminded me of the big/small thing which I also experienced occasionally.

I've had this frightening experience three times in my life. For now, first time: I was four or five, and diagnosed with asthma. My parents fretted over me as my older brother had just died of leukemia. (A death sentence back in the fifties.) I was given whatever medication they gave youngsters back then for ass-mar and I had "Alice" symptoms DELUXE !!! I can distinctly remember lying in my bed and feeling as if I was a two or three inch doll lying in a doll bed in a normal sized room !!!! The ceiling seemed a mile away, and so did the walls. I can remember being terrified. I felt so tiny I would not have the strength (or time) to get out of this airplane hangar sized room if I needed to, say, use the loo. I can remember the feelings occurring several times, and being afraid to look at the room, pressing my face into my pillow. I can also vaguely remember the room returning to "normal" after awhiles, sometimes. I know it sounds like a 'kewl' high now, but it truly, truly frightened me to my bones !!!!

This thread is a comfort to read - as a small child I used to get a horrible feeling where my teeth seemed to grow and grow till they were the size of overstuffed armchairs. I called this feeling 'biting into plasticine'. There was another one which felt like long, stretched out wires, reminiscent of the electricity lines up the road from us. I remember trying to describe them to my even smaller brother and not having enough words. A couple of years ago, whilst doing lots of meditation, the biting into plasticine feeling put in a surprise appearance after nearly half a century. Meditation seems to dredge a lot of things up, but it can keep that one for itself.

escargot said:
We have a long thread on this, called the 'big/small thing' or something like that.

It features my brother's experience of driving along a mile-wide motorway with 100 lanes! :lol:

Could someone please provide a link to this thread? I'm pretty sure I posted in it, but I've done a search and can't get any results. It's probably me, unable to use the engine properly. Help?

eugenie said:
A couple of years ago, whilst doing lots of meditation, the biting into plasticine feeling put in a surprise appearance after nearly half a century. Meditation seems to dredge a lot of things up, but it can keep that one for itself.

I know this is a tangent, but I have also had the experience of certain kinds of meditation bringing back memories I haven't thought of in years, and very vividly. Sometimes things I have never remembered, if that makes sense.

I can't seem to reply to the other thread, so I'll post here.

As a child I had a recurring nightmare wherein I felt alternately like a huge, crushing, suffocating weight was upon me, as if gravity had increased a hundred-fold, and then suddenly felt light as a feather, like my body had no substance and was expanding into space. Then I'd suddenly feel the crushing weight again, then the light feeling, on and on and on until I felt as if I were going mad, then I'd wake up and the room would seem huge and me very small in it. I'd usually run out of the room once I'd become fully awake because if I didn't, the feeling of light/heavy would continue even while I was awake if I stayed in the room. This happened between the ages of five to eight and then stopped. I found that this feeling would come on sometimes when I'd hold something heavy in the palm of my hand. Don't ask me why! Seems weird to me, also.

I also have had the feeling of big/small while afflicted with fever. What's more is that when I'm feverish I often feel as if quiet sounds are very loud. I distinctly remember flushing the toilet after being sick in it and it sounding like a crashing tidal wave, which frightened me very much. Also a humidifier my mother would put in my room when I was ill sounded like thunder!

Once I had the most classic "Alice in Wonderland" experience, brought on by the ingestion of opium. I'd foolishly swallowed a small brick of opium hashish when I was about 18. I didn't really get high, but I did have a lot of problems with my super-long legs. I remember trying to descend a flight of stairs and looking down at my feet which seemed miles away, and the stairs were therefore also miles away, and being so far away were very difficult to navigate. I wound up finding this experience more funny than disturbing.

Also, I often get migraines. During these I sometimes feel as if I'm floating several inches above my body. I can still feel the bed, but when I close my eyes I feel like I'm floating. Difficult to describe, but very vivid, and it would be enjoyable if I weren't in the midst of so much pain.

When I was a child(6-9 years?), it happened often when I looked at my hands that they looked smaller than normal. I can't remember having any diseases while these "hallucinations" or whatever appeared.

GNC's experience reminds me of another quite terrifying type of hallucination I repeatedly had when very feverish. I would be in a state of panic, something awful would seem to have happened and I would be running up to my parents and other people trying to make them understand. The frightening thing was they would just take no notice and sit smiling and slowly nodding their heads.
Doesn't sound too bad but at the time it was very freaky.

Alice in Wonderland Syndrome- Self Induced?

Hey everyone,
Its my first time posting here, after reading these forums extensively i came across a thread about the big/small or alice in wonderland syndrome and found that i have very similar experiences, but slightly different.
I have only experienced this while in bed in the dark. I feel the similar big/small effects, and also have the feeling the time is either moving very quickly, or very slowly.
I also feel as though i am very small in a giant room, and that everything i look at is very far away.
The most disturbing of all these effects however is the distorted sound. I seem to have super sensitive hearing, but not only that, every sound is very loud and fast. The best way to describe the sounds is that they are angry, each noise sounds as if it is rushing, or in a hurry and is furious. This all sounds really weird but its the best i can explain it. Usually time seems to be in fast motion.
Ive also recently noticed that in this state my eyes are unfocused, and things look double layered, as if im cross-eyed. It takes a while of looking around in light to get them back to normal.
Im 18 years old and a student just who just graduated highschool, exams are over so im not under any stress.
What makes my case or Alice in wonderland syndrome different is that i have slightly different experiences, and i dont experience this when i have a fever (i can usually induce this if i try) but i think these first started when i had one. I dont get migraines either. Im wondering if anyone has any answers or has any experinces the same or similar to mine, id love to discuss and hear what people have to say

Thanks alot
Carl

Hi, welcome to our home. It almost sounds like you are about to have an out of body experience. Try playing around with the idea, and you probably will be able to do it. Some of the same things you described fit the pattern that used to happen to me, when I was younger. good luck.

Hi Carl,

Your namesake, Herr Jung, mentions the same sensation in his book "memories, dreams, reflections". From what i can recall he suggested that the sensation is a psychological artifact, felt most often as you point out, when the body is fighting an illness of some kind. I'll dig out my copy and try to get you a quote in the next day or so.

I myself frequently (well, enough times that i can still remember the distinct sensation) had this feeling when i was a small child. Most noticeably when i was sleeping in my parents bed. For me, it was more as if i was lying on the surface of a balloon, that began to rapidly inflate away from me on all sides. I also had the sensation of *falling* into the bed, not so much like renton does with the carpet, in the film "trainspotting", more like i was falling between the atoms of the bed sheet itself. Very strange even after all these years.

I'm sure there's many others on the boards that can clarify the situation much better than my meagre attempt here. Oh, and welcome to the boards proper!

Back