Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I wish

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters

robbo616

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
:? What if(this is a purely rhetorical question)

It was made known by medical authorities that a condition exists- SP.
That it was fairly common.
That one would almost certainly seem to experience an alien abduction-and that this condition is as common as a cold-Would it still be reported or remarked upon?

Would fat,sweaty workers say to their workmates"Ey,I 'ad that bloody SP again last night,second time this week!""Oh,yeah,"says buddy"Did you get the hag or the aliens this time?"

Is SP just something we humans get?Like a runny nose?

As an aside,Yetifeet1975 wrote:

Due to having served most of my life in the Army, I have become a light sleeper, meaning as soon as I hear a noise Im up.
Strange chap.I spent thirteen years in the Army and you couldn't get me up with an ice-axe and an airhorn.(I'll have to edit this to find out the quotee's name)

OldTimeRadio

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
robbo616 said:
:? What if(this is a purely rhetorical question) It was made known by medical authorities that a condition exists- SP. That it was fairly common. That one would almost certainly seem to experience an alien abduction-and that this condition is as common as a cold-Would it still be reported or remarked upon?
Sorry, I like to answer rhetorical questions, since they're the only ones I'm any good at. <g>

If "old hag" experiences and "alien abductions" were as common as the common cold they might be considered no more worth talking about. But in those countries where whistling bullets are even more common than the cold, those projectiles are still thought to be worth dodging!

But since Old Hags are much rarer than the sniffles it's a fairly moot point.

Do I think believe that sleepers are abducted by aliens from space? No. Do I then believe that the abduction phenomenon is completely explainable by the known, established laws of human physiology. No.

OldTimeRadio

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I wonder how the answers to the poll question would have differed (if at all) had the question been phrased as some mix-and-match version of "Have your ever been (abducted) (harrassed) (threatened) (pursued) by any (non-human) (ultraterrestrial) (demonic) (poltergeistic) agency?"

robbo616

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
poltergeistic

:shock: Dear OTR,

I insist you stop inventerising your own words!

whistling bullets

You have me at an advantage.I have no idea what this could mean.

Do I think believe that sleepers are abducted by aliens from space? No. Do I then believe that the abduction phenomenon is completely explainable by the known, established laws of human physiology. No.
I quite agree.Until the unknown and yet to be established laws are known,
speculation and guessery will abound.

OldTimeRadio

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
robbo616 said:
poltergeistic
:shock: Dear OTR,

I insist you stop inventerising your own words!

whistling bullets
You have me at an advantage.I have no idea what this could mean.
"Poltergeistic" gets 1650 hits from Google.

As for "whistling bullets" it was a rather round-about way of saying that just because things are commonly-reported, such as flying bullets in revolutionary countries, doesn't neccessarily make them any less evidential. There's this view in Paranormalism, which I've never understood, that the more a Phenomenon is reported as having been witnessed the more folkloric and fictional it must be. (Check through the earlier postings on this thread.)

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Reaction score
i came across these two abstracts by accident, and thought it best dropped in here as it seems to be the main 'abduction' thread... pity the full articles aren't available:

Dissociation : Vol. 7, No. 1, p. 044-050 : Dissociation in alleged extraterrestrial abductees
Dissociation in alleged extraterrestrial abductees
Powers, Susan Marie
Mar-1994

Ridgeview Institute and the International Society for the Study of Dissociation

Abstract: Dissociative symptoms were assessed in twenty persons who claim extraterrestrial abduction. This paper presents the results of two inventories: the MMPI subscale for Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and the Perceptual Alteration Scale. To obtain comparative data, two other groups of twenty subjects each were given the inventories: sightees, people who report witnessing unidentified flying objects but do not recall extraterrestrial contact, and individuals who recall childhood sexual abuse. The sightee group served as a control whereas the sexually abused group was included to explore any similarities between alleged abductees and sexually abused persons. PTSD symptoms were manifested by 45 % of the abductees, 0 % of the sightees, and 70% of the sexually abused subjects. Dissociation symptoms were demonstrated by 70% of the abductees, 10% of the sightees, and 100 % of the sexually abused subjects. These results suggest that distressed individuals alleging extraterrestrial abduction may benefit from therapies designed to address dissociation and PTSD.
https://scholarsbank.uoregon.edu/dspace ... /1794/1516

Dissociation : Vol. 7, No. 1, p. 051-062 : Chronic claims of alien abduction and some other traumas as self-victimization syndromes
Chronic claims of alien abduction and some other traumas as self-victimization syndromes
Schnabel, Jim
Mar-1994

Ridgeview Institute and the International Society for the Study of Dissociation

Abstract: This paper discusses the case of an alleged alien abduction victim who claimed a wide range of dissociation-related and traumatic experiences, with a heavy thematic emphasis upon sexual abuse, extending back to a traumatic non-abuse incident in childhood, for which she apparently was never amnesic. Certain aspects of her history seem consistent with dissociative disorders, organic mental disorders, and Miinchausen's syndrome. This case and the alien abduction syndrome as well as some oral narratives associated with multiple personality disorder and "Satanic ritual abuse," do not derive exclusively from severe exogenous trauma and may be viewed more usefully as manifestations of manipulative self-victimization syndromes.
https://scholarsbank.uoregon.edu/dspace ... /1794/1519

A

Anonymous

Here they are in .pdf format...

Dissociation : Vol. 7, No. 1, p. 044-050 : Dissociation in alleged extraterrestrial abductees
Dissociation in alleged extraterrestrial abductees
Powers, Susan Marie
Mar-1994

pdf file here.

Dissociation : Vol. 7, No. 1, p. 051-062 : Chronic claims of alien abduction and some other traumas as self-victimization syndromes
Chronic claims of alien abduction and some other traumas as self-victimization syndromes
Schnabel, Jim
Mar-1994

pdf file here.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Reaction score
*claps hands*

clever clever mr frobush :D

i'll give those a read when my brain isn't totally pulp...

sunsplash1

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Ditto, very big thanks Fro!

Is that the same Jim S of 'round in circles' fame?

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
That's the chappie. His Dark White is one of the very best, level-headed and above all clear treatments on abductions I've ever read. Concludes that something's happening, definitely, but he seriously doubts ETs have anything to do with it.

An opinion with which I personally agree whole-heartedly. I was discussing this very subject with a friend a few weeks ago (she's a psychologist), and she mentioned that it's easier for humans to psychologically deal with something if they can surrender themselves to believing that they have no control over it, be it God, aliens, succubi, mundane adverse circumstances or whatever, rather than dealing with something that may be entirely from inside. Humans aren't good at dealing with blame, on the whole. Greys are just an deeper-ingrained, adult version of "Mr Nobody" if you look at it that way

OldTimeRadio

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
stuneville said:
Concludes that something's happening, definitely, but he seriously doubts ETs have anything to do with it. An opinion with which I personally agree whole-heartedly.
That's also the idea which makes the most sense to me.

Though it's also possible that we've severely mis-identified and mis-interpreted (although not neccessarily mis-judged) what we call "ETs."

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Surprised no one's mentioned this, but there was a documentary about British alien abductees on Channel 4 last night. You can watch it here:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/conf ... er/3533745

Walked the fine line between sympathy and having a laugh with the idea, and left you to make up your own mind, which is the best way, I think. Some remarkable scenes, with that councillor who said his mum was an alien, a woman who undergoes a lie detector test to prove she's not lying (oops) and an apparent agoraphobic who puts her anxieties down to being abducted over and over.

It was kind of sad by the end, because they are obviously troubled people and the more you find out about them the more you fear for their sanity. I'd have liked to hear more of the stories they tell, but this was pretty good for a modern UFO doc.

Zilch5

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Here's a bit more on "that councillor":

Simon Parkes
U.K. City Councillor, like former Canadian defence minister Paul Hellyer, thinks aliens are real and regularly visit Earth. (YouTube/Getty)

Simon Parkes, a city councillor from the U.K., has joined former Canadian defence minister Paul Hellyer in claiming aliens exist and visit Earth.

But Parkes, who sits on the Whitby town council, makes Hellyer seem positively believable.

Parkes, who is set to star in a new documentary on alien abductions, told the Northern Echo that he has fathered a child with an alien. In fact, Parkes says he has sex with an extraterrestrial he calls the "Cat Queen" four times a year. In case you're wondering, the kid's name is Zarka.

Unsurprisingly, Parkes says the relationship has put some strain on his marriage with his human wife.

Parkes' belief in aliens is well-documented. In the past he has told stories of abduction and claimed that his real mother is a 9-foot-tall alien with eight fingers. He says he was first contacted by extraterrestrials while he was still in the womb.

Parkes appears in a number of videos on the YouTube channel Underground Video (UK) Research and Archive Pirate Radio, where he and others describe their very-alleged experiences with aliens. In one clip, Parkes is hypnotized in an attempt to access repressed abduction memories. The video is part of a series of interviews done with the Anomalous Mind Management, Abductee, Contactee Helpline Project, a British group devoted to work with those who have (very purportedly) been kidnapped by aliens.

The attention for Parkes comes on the heels of former Canadian defence minister Paul Hellyer's testimony before six former congressmen at the Citizen Hearing On Disclosure in Washington D.C., in which he asserted that at least four species of aliens have been visiting Earth for thousands of years and that extraterrestrials are at this very moment working in concert with the U.S. government.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/06/18 ... 61594.html

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
In the recent doc, the implication was the councillor's troubled relationship with his alcoholic mother spurred him onto flights of fancy as a coping mechanism. It just got out of hand.

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Hastings conference hears of alien abductions

People who claim to have been abducted by aliens have been sharing their experiences at a conference in Sussex.
Speakers who say they have had contact with extra-terrestrials were at the event in Hastings, which organiser Joanne Summerscales said was to let them talk without fear of ridicule.

She set up a support group to help "abductees" and "contactees" in 2011.
Since then, about 1,500 people have used her helpline, claiming to have had dealings with beings from outer space.
"Most people who have had those experiences do not have anyone they can speak to about it," Ms Summerscales said.
"It's really about offering support where society doesn't.

"People laugh and say 'ha ha, little green men', but people who have these experiences can be very traumatised.
"Some people are even treated for post-traumatic stress disorder. Very few would tell their doctors the real reason they are suffering. Those who do are often on anti-psychotic medication."

She admits millions of people who are mentally ill will have had such experiences, but also cites research by Harvard psychiatrist Professor John Mack who found people who claimed to have been abducted were not mentally ill or delusional.
"It was ordinary people having these experiences," Ms Summerscales said.
"They were having some traumatic experience because of the fallout from it, which you might imagine is a huge issue."

The conference programme covered a range of alien life forms including "black clads" and "reptilians", and extra-terrestrial concepts such as the "interconnected matrix" and the "orgonite connection".

Ms Summerscales lists media, theatre, teaching, complementary health care and spiritual healing as some of her skills, but said her main qualification for helping people was that she was a human being.
"All we can do is hear people - hear their stories which they need to tell," she added.

Her organisation, Ammach, was holding its third annual conference on Saturday, with about 50 or 60 people expected to attend.
"I feel the public are ready to embrace this information," Ms Summerscales said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-27623981

krakenten

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
jeeze, guys, are you forgetting that Strieber is a NOVELIST?

He likes the technique of casting doubt on the work's reality or fictionality.

A little research, and you soon realize that 'alien abduction' is caused by sleep paralysis, a nasty sort of nightmare, caused in turn by chronic anxiety. I've experienced it, and it just plain stinks! Is it real? No. Does it happen? Yes.

Best way to cure it(and it's close relation, false awakening)?

I just gave you the cure, as soon as you accept that this is not real, it goes away-forever!

Years ago, I rode to work in my Deputy Sheriff's uniform(free subway fares, by law, and every little bit helps). A woman who worked at the Social Security Admin.-a ranking supervisor!-would regale me almost daily with tales of people who entered her bedroom at night. Bitterly, she lamented how the 'po-leeces' wouldn't take her seriously.

One day, there was mechanical trouble, and I explained the phenom to her-I told her to put crumpled newspaper by the door and to use one of those secure hotel room locks., so she could see that nobody had entered.

She did, and because she was a sensible, God-fearing woman otherwise(and not a nutter, not really) she soon became convinced that I was right, and her trouble ended.

I similarly rid myself of panic attacks, by just letting them happen. In a few weeks, they were gone.

I dunno what happened to Betty and Barney Hill, but down at the bottom of the list is Little Green Men.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Hes at it again.

A Labour councillor has claimed Russia’s President Putin is being advised by an alien race.

Simon Parkes told an audience of around 30 people in Wallsend, North Tyneside, that recent hostilities in Eastern Europe are down to extraterrestrial intervention. Coun Parkes, who has previously claimed he has had ‘hundreds’ of alien encounters in his own life, blamed a group of aliens he calls the Nordics for President Putin’s aggression in the Ukraine.

The North Yorkshire councillor said the Nordics were supporting Putin against percieved American influences in the area. ...

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...-councillor-claims-aliens-influencing-8693183

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I'd like to hear the aliens play his national anthem.

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Reaction score
Budapest Resident Snaps Photograph of ‘Alien’, Believes he Was Abducted

The man submitting the report, who did not provide a name, says he was walking through the woods in the early afternoon of March 25 when he spotted the oddity standing in the middle of a trail.

“A bright sphere floated in front of him,” he reported to MUFON. ” I took out my mobile phone, and I did a photograph.”

The image shows a metallic spider-like object with four legs that appears to be holding a round, bright orange object.

The man says he can’t remember what happened after taking the photograph.

“I only know that the creature disappeared,” he said, wondering whether it was an “alien”.
http://cryptozoologynews.com/hungarian-snaps-photograph-of-alien-thinks-he-is-abducted/

Graylien

As if!
Reaction score
It does, but it has incredibly long arms. I've never seen a Grey depicted with arms that long and spindly. The shadow it casts is a bit odd, though. I'd be interested to see an in depth analysis of the shadow the entity casts. To my untrained eye, it doesn't quite seem to match up correctly with the being.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
Maybe its one of the greys pets and its playing fetch
I think the guy is brave, i would have legged it

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
ARTIST LOSES HIS VIRGINITY TO A SPACE ALIEN. NOW HE PAINTS ABOUT IT
11:51 am

David Huggins is 72 years old. He lives in Hoboken with his wife and son and works in a delicatessen. In his early years he was trained as a painter at the Art Students League of New York. At some point, during his “perfectly normal life” he “started remembering things.”

Huggins’ suppressed memories have gotten very detailed indeed. He recalls being abducted by extraterrestrials on numerous occasions, although “abducted” might not be the right word—Huggins’ experiences have mostly been pleasurable and he is quite content to assist the aliens in whatever way they desire. He says that he lost his virginity to a female “alien hybrid” named Crescent when he was seventeen years old. Huggins claims they’ve have had “over fifty hybrid-alien children” together—the details of their mating and the births are rather remarkable.

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/...inity_to_a_space_alien_now_he_paints_about_it

sunsplash

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Over fifty alien - hybrid rugrats? How about keeping it in his pants...

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
At least they wont want state benefits