• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Alien Abductions: Reports, Theories & Stories (Not IHTM)

RainyOcean said:
So while I can't vote "yes" as I'm not so sure there's not a more normal explanation, I can't vote "no" either.

That seems to be the only solidly Fortean approach to the matter.

Or is it, if one also believes that 'aliens exist and that they are visiting Earth'? ;)

Just reading "Supernatural" by Graham Hancock. In short it talks about visions that you get when in an altered state of mind [drugs, trance dance etc]. On his own ayahuasca trips he encountered beings that could easily be described as the typical "grey". Ancient murals which may well depict shamanic scenes [I believe they do, best explanation yet] as encountered in a trance also show domed heads and pointy chins.
He then goes a step furthere and wonders what if these visions are actually a glimpse into another realm, of beings that have actually made us humans what we are today by teaching and guiding us.
One thing about becoming a shaman is the excrutiating torture they sometimes have to go through by these beings and when out of the trance they are reborn as fully fledged shamans with added abilities.

This short account doesn't do justice to the reasoning and the wording of the book as he is quite aware of the audacity of this idea. But I don't want to discuss the book, what came to me yesterday is the fact that those shamanic experiences seem to be quite similar to alien abductions.

Using beings from a different dimension or realm as a basis could explain why abductees can fly through walls, their environment can change dreamlike and there is the element of torture and fear without actually leaving their beds.
Which had always my main concern against alien abduction, the fact that they hadn't moved and their partners handn't noticed anything but this theory would explain even that. If the journey is only in the mind, of course they wouldn't move.

Shamans endure the tortures because they know that it will lead to wisdom. Abductees who don't have the spiritual link or interest will be mortified rather than anything else. Not knowing the why nor the where.

If hallucinogenic drugs could be used for their "intended" purpose [which is to find out more about yourself and the universe we live in or in a shamanic way and used with guidance of experienced individuals] I feel that people could only benefit! It is the same for driving a car, if you drive without much knowledge, you bound to have an accident or at least a few near misses. But the war on drugs and the irrational fear of people of drugs is taking a vital ancient part out of humanity which has been practiced for thousands of years.

Now that I have found a different angle on the abduction scenario I can go back and imply it and see if it is of any worth.

Fortean Approach

Jerry_B said:
Or is it, if one also believes that 'aliens exist and that they are visiting Earth'? ;)

The Fortean approach must be at least a willingness to consider evidences in favor of, say, the literal existence of the Easter Bunny. But to pontificate that "the Easter Bunny absolutely exists and that physical existence has been indisputably proven" is NOT Fortean.

Here's an interesting article about the late John Mack an the subject in hand 8)

http://www.fatemag.com/issues/2000s/200 ... cle1a.html

But even as courageous as Dr. Mack was in asserting that abductees were not suffering from mental disorders and that they were not hoaxers or in any way delusional, he could not come forward and tell all he knew about the reality behind the UFO mystery. In the months before his untimely and tragic death (he was run down by a drunk driver in London in September 2004) he asked me to join him and California hypnotherapist Barbara Lamb in a project to make public the information we had each collected independently, but which he had not previously discussed in his two books on the abduction phenomenon.

This project was to deal with the three forbidden “Rs” of ufology. Mack’s concept was to write a joint paper for publication, perhaps even a book, dealing with a variety of topics, including the many cases in which individuals report contact with non-human entities with distinctly reptilian features. Such reports have been known to researchers since at least the early 1990s, but few have been anxious to write about them or to speak on the subject publicly.

Religion and UFOs

Additionally, Dr. Mack wanted to discuss the problematic issue of the ancient history of a sentient serpent race that is found in ancient texts, such as the Vedic literature from India and the Sumerian texts from Mesopotamia, as well as the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Bible. I say problematic, because ufologists, in general, struggle to maintain the notion that the UFO mystery began only 50 or so years ago. By maintaining this arbitrary timeline, they are able to profess that the phenomenon is either a scientific study by aliens from nearby star systems, or the early stages of an alien invasion. Those are the only conclusions one can reasonably come to if UFOs are something relatively new. But what kind of study or invasion takes thousands of years? What if these so-called “aliens” have always been here, and ancient writings portray encounters with them? What if the gods of old are the aliens of today?

If this is so, the study of ufology cannot avoid delving into both ancient religions and contemporary ones. This is a terrible dilemma for those wishing to make the study of UFOs an acceptable mainstream science. Debunkers already love to claim that those interested in UFOs are cultists, or that ufology is itself a religion and, therefore, not a science. Now an eminent scientist and UFO researcher was about to state publicly that reptilian beings exist and that they may have been here for thousands of years! That would certainly have rocked the ufology boat and made waves in the scientific community.

and it continues.

Dingo667 said:
Shamans endure the tortures because they know that it will lead to wisdom. Abductees who don't have the spiritual link or interest will be mortified rather than anything else. Not knowing the why nor the where.
I think I see what you mean. What I'd think is that the torture would be symbolic of the gruelling soul searching one'd have to go through in order to achieve a state of wisdom, or even of spiritual receptivity. This wouldn't have to be purely metaphorical, it might be experienced as well. But yer typical abductee might not be going through that same process.

There is a definite process to the shamanic experience - I don't think this is anything to do with what abductees claim to experience.

There's a definite process, also, to the abduction experience. If, from my point of view, the Shamanic experience reflects something internal, on a symbolic scale, then, arguably, also from my point of view, "abduction experiences" could do the same, but probably in doing so reflect a different internal process.

Well, I dunno - the process behind shamanic experience is preparatory to quite a large extent. I think that the only way that abduction stuff could be similar is via the hypnotist-abductee relationship, mixed in with belief priming the whole situation.

Patrick Harpur does a fairly good job of equating alien abductions with various other kinds of mystical experiences (including Shamanic journeys) in his book Daimonic Reality.

He expands on these themes in the follow up The Philosopher's Secret Fire, but I'm afraid that one went completely over my head and I have no idea what he was going on about.

Ah, but I'd argue that shamanic journeys aren't the same as shamanic rituals which prepare for that journey. The odd disassociative aspects of shamanic journeys and abduction experiences may have some similarities, but how either percipient gets to that point is very much different.

Jerry_B said:
Ah, but I'd argue that shamanic journeys aren't the same as shamanic rituals which prepare for that journey. The odd dissociative aspects of shamanic journeys and abduction experiences may have some similarities, but how either percipient gets to that point is very much different.

I suppose one key issue here is whether abductees are merely remembering their 'journeys' through hypnotic regression or are actually creating them under hypnosis. If so, one might view the act of hypnosis itself as being equivalent to the Shaman's preparatory rituals. Or at least as being a short-cut to attaining the same altered state of consciousness.

:? What if(this is a purely rhetorical question)

It was made known by medical authorities that a condition exists- SP.
That it was fairly common.
That one would almost certainly seem to experience an alien abduction-and that this condition is as common as a cold-Would it still be reported or remarked upon?

Would fat,sweaty workers say to their workmates"Ey,I 'ad that bloody SP again last night,second time this week!""Oh,yeah,"says buddy"Did you get the hag or the aliens this time?"

Is SP just something we humans get?Like a runny nose?

Last edited by a moderator:
robbo616 said:
:? What if(this is a purely rhetorical question) It was made known by medical authorities that a condition exists- SP. That it was fairly common. That one would almost certainly seem to experience an alien abduction-and that this condition is as common as a cold-Would it still be reported or remarked upon?

Sorry, I like to answer rhetorical questions, since they're the only ones I'm any good at. <g>

If "old hag" experiences and "alien abductions" were as common as the common cold they might be considered no more worth talking about. But in those countries where whistling bullets are even more common than the cold, those projectiles are still thought to be worth dodging!

But since Old Hags are much rarer than the sniffles it's a fairly moot point.

Do I think believe that sleepers are abducted by aliens from space? No. Do I then believe that the abduction phenomenon is completely explainable by the known, established laws of human physiology. No.

i came across these two abstracts by accident, and thought it best dropped in here as it seems to be the main 'abduction' thread... pity the full articles aren't available:

Dissociation : Vol. 7, No. 1, p. 044-050 : Dissociation in alleged extraterrestrial abductees
Dissociation in alleged extraterrestrial abductees
Powers, Susan Marie
Mar-1994

Ridgeview Institute and the International Society for the Study of Dissociation

Abstract: Dissociative symptoms were assessed in twenty persons who claim extraterrestrial abduction. This paper presents the results of two inventories: the MMPI subscale for Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and the Perceptual Alteration Scale. To obtain comparative data, two other groups of twenty subjects each were given the inventories: sightees, people who report witnessing unidentified flying objects but do not recall extraterrestrial contact, and individuals who recall childhood sexual abuse. The sightee group served as a control whereas the sexually abused group was included to explore any similarities between alleged abductees and sexually abused persons. PTSD symptoms were manifested by 45 % of the abductees, 0 % of the sightees, and 70% of the sexually abused subjects. Dissociation symptoms were demonstrated by 70% of the abductees, 10% of the sightees, and 100 % of the sexually abused subjects. These results suggest that distressed individuals alleging extraterrestrial abduction may benefit from therapies designed to address dissociation and PTSD.

https://scholarsbank.uoregon.edu/dspace ... /1794/1516

Dissociation : Vol. 7, No. 1, p. 051-062 : Chronic claims of alien abduction and some other traumas as self-victimization syndromes
Chronic claims of alien abduction and some other traumas as self-victimization syndromes
Schnabel, Jim
Mar-1994

Ridgeview Institute and the International Society for the Study of Dissociation

Abstract: This paper discusses the case of an alleged alien abduction victim who claimed a wide range of dissociation-related and traumatic experiences, with a heavy thematic emphasis upon sexual abuse, extending back to a traumatic non-abuse incident in childhood, for which she apparently was never amnesic. Certain aspects of her history seem consistent with dissociative disorders, organic mental disorders, and Miinchausen's syndrome. This case and the alien abduction syndrome as well as some oral narratives associated with multiple personality disorder and "Satanic ritual abuse," do not derive exclusively from severe exogenous trauma and may be viewed more usefully as manifestations of manipulative self-victimization syndromes.

https://scholarsbank.uoregon.edu/dspace ... /1794/1519

Here they are in .pdf format...

Dissociation : Vol. 7, No. 1, p. 044-050 : Dissociation in alleged extraterrestrial abductees
Dissociation in alleged extraterrestrial abductees
Powers, Susan Marie
Mar-1994

pdf file here.

Dissociation : Vol. 7, No. 1, p. 051-062 : Chronic claims of alien abduction and some other traumas as self-victimization syndromes
Chronic claims of alien abduction and some other traumas as self-victimization syndromes
Schnabel, Jim
Mar-1994

pdf file here.

*claps hands*

clever clever mr frobush :D

i'll give those a read when my brain isn't totally pulp...

Ditto, very big thanks Fro!

Is that the same Jim S of 'round in circles' fame?

That's the chappie. His Dark White is one of the very best, level-headed and above all clear treatments on abductions I've ever read. Concludes that something's happening, definitely, but he seriously doubts ETs have anything to do with it.

An opinion with which I personally agree whole-heartedly. I was discussing this very subject with a friend a few weeks ago (she's a psychologist), and she mentioned that it's easier for humans to psychologically deal with something if they can surrender themselves to believing that they have no control over it, be it God, aliens, succubi, mundane adverse circumstances or whatever, rather than dealing with something that may be entirely from inside. Humans aren't good at dealing with blame, on the whole. Greys are just an deeper-ingrained, adult version of "Mr Nobody" if you look at it that way

stuneville said:
Concludes that something's happening, definitely, but he seriously doubts ETs have anything to do with it. An opinion with which I personally agree whole-heartedly.

That's also the idea which makes the most sense to me.

Though it's also possible that we've severely mis-identified and mis-interpreted (although not neccessarily mis-judged) what we call "ETs."

Surprised no one's mentioned this, but there was a documentary about British alien abductees on Channel 4 last night. You can watch it here:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/conf ... er/3533745

Walked the fine line between sympathy and having a laugh with the idea, and left you to make up your own mind, which is the best way, I think. Some remarkable scenes, with that councillor who said his mum was an alien, a woman who undergoes a lie detector test to prove she's not lying (oops) and an apparent agoraphobic who puts her anxieties down to being abducted over and over.

It was kind of sad by the end, because they are obviously troubled people and the more you find out about them the more you fear for their sanity. I'd have liked to hear more of the stories they tell, but this was pretty good for a modern UFO doc.

Here's a bit more on "that councillor":

Simon Parkes
U.K. City Councillor, like former Canadian defence minister Paul Hellyer, thinks aliens are real and regularly visit Earth. (YouTube/Getty)

Simon Parkes, a city councillor from the U.K., has joined former Canadian defence minister Paul Hellyer in claiming aliens exist and visit Earth.

But Parkes, who sits on the Whitby town council, makes Hellyer seem positively believable.

Parkes, who is set to star in a new documentary on alien abductions, told the Northern Echo that he has fathered a child with an alien. In fact, Parkes says he has sex with an extraterrestrial he calls the "Cat Queen" four times a year. In case you're wondering, the kid's name is Zarka.

Unsurprisingly, Parkes says the relationship has put some strain on his marriage with his human wife.

Parkes' belief in aliens is well-documented. In the past he has told stories of abduction and claimed that his real mother is a 9-foot-tall alien with eight fingers. He says he was first contacted by extraterrestrials while he was still in the womb.

Parkes appears in a number of videos on the YouTube channel Underground Video (UK) Research and Archive Pirate Radio, where he and others describe their very-alleged experiences with aliens. In one clip, Parkes is hypnotized in an attempt to access repressed abduction memories. The video is part of a series of interviews done with the Anomalous Mind Management, Abductee, Contactee Helpline Project, a British group devoted to work with those who have (very purportedly) been kidnapped by aliens.

The attention for Parkes comes on the heels of former Canadian defence minister Paul Hellyer's testimony before six former congressmen at the Citizen Hearing On Disclosure in Washington D.C., in which he asserted that at least four species of aliens have been visiting Earth for thousands of years and that extraterrestrials are at this very moment working in concert with the U.S. government.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/06/18 ... 61594.html

In the recent doc, the implication was the councillor's troubled relationship with his alcoholic mother spurred him onto flights of fancy as a coping mechanism. It just got out of hand.

Hastings conference hears of alien abductions

People who claim to have been abducted by aliens have been sharing their experiences at a conference in Sussex.
Speakers who say they have had contact with extra-terrestrials were at the event in Hastings, which organiser Joanne Summerscales said was to let them talk without fear of ridicule.

She set up a support group to help "abductees" and "contactees" in 2011.
Since then, about 1,500 people have used her helpline, claiming to have had dealings with beings from outer space.
"Most people who have had those experiences do not have anyone they can speak to about it," Ms Summerscales said.
"It's really about offering support where society doesn't.

"People laugh and say 'ha ha, little green men', but people who have these experiences can be very traumatised.
"Some people are even treated for post-traumatic stress disorder. Very few would tell their doctors the real reason they are suffering. Those who do are often on anti-psychotic medication."

She admits millions of people who are mentally ill will have had such experiences, but also cites research by Harvard psychiatrist Professor John Mack who found people who claimed to have been abducted were not mentally ill or delusional.
"It was ordinary people having these experiences," Ms Summerscales said.
"They were having some traumatic experience because of the fallout from it, which you might imagine is a huge issue."

The conference programme covered a range of alien life forms including "black clads" and "reptilians", and extra-terrestrial concepts such as the "interconnected matrix" and the "orgonite connection".

Ms Summerscales lists media, theatre, teaching, complementary health care and spiritual healing as some of her skills, but said her main qualification for helping people was that she was a human being.
"All we can do is hear people - hear their stories which they need to tell," she added.

Her organisation, Ammach, was holding its third annual conference on Saturday, with about 50 or 60 people expected to attend.
"I feel the public are ready to embrace this information," Ms Summerscales said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-27623981

jeeze, guys, are you forgetting that Strieber is a NOVELIST?

He likes the technique of casting doubt on the work's reality or fictionality.

A little research, and you soon realize that 'alien abduction' is caused by sleep paralysis, a nasty sort of nightmare, caused in turn by chronic anxiety. I've experienced it, and it just plain stinks! Is it real? No. Does it happen? Yes.

Best way to cure it(and it's close relation, false awakening)?

I just gave you the cure, as soon as you accept that this is not real, it goes away-forever!

Years ago, I rode to work in my Deputy Sheriff's uniform(free subway fares, by law, and every little bit helps). A woman who worked at the Social Security Admin.-a ranking supervisor!-would regale me almost daily with tales of people who entered her bedroom at night. Bitterly, she lamented how the 'po-leeces' wouldn't take her seriously.

One day, there was mechanical trouble, and I explained the phenom to her-I told her to put crumpled newspaper by the door and to use one of those secure hotel room locks., so she could see that nobody had entered.

She did, and because she was a sensible, God-fearing woman otherwise(and not a nutter, not really) she soon became convinced that I was right, and her trouble ended.

I similarly rid myself of panic attacks, by just letting them happen. In a few weeks, they were gone.

I dunno what happened to Betty and Barney Hill, but down at the bottom of the list is Little Green Men.

Hes at it again.

A Labour councillor has claimed Russia’s President Putin is being advised by an alien race.

Simon Parkes told an audience of around 30 people in Wallsend, North Tyneside, that recent hostilities in Eastern Europe are down to extraterrestrial intervention. Coun Parkes, who has previously claimed he has had ‘hundreds’ of alien encounters in his own life, blamed a group of aliens he calls the Nordics for President Putin’s aggression in the Ukraine.

The North Yorkshire councillor said the Nordics were supporting Putin against percieved American influences in the area. ...

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...-councillor-claims-aliens-influencing-8693183

I'd like to hear the aliens play his national anthem.

Budapest Resident Snaps Photograph of ‘Alien’, Believes he Was Abducted

The man submitting the report, who did not provide a name, says he was walking through the woods in the early afternoon of March 25 when he spotted the oddity standing in the middle of a trail.

“A bright sphere floated in front of him,” he reported to MUFON. ” I took out my mobile phone, and I did a photograph.”

The image shows a metallic spider-like object with four legs that appears to be holding a round, bright orange object.

The man says he can’t remember what happened after taking the photograph.

“I only know that the creature disappeared,” he said, wondering whether it was an “alien”.
http://cryptozoologynews.com/hungarian-snaps-photograph-of-alien-thinks-he-is-abducted/

It's not a spider.
If you zoom in, it looks like a spindly alien grey bending down over a glowing ball of light on the ground.
Mind you, it's very small for an alien grey.

Back