• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

In your opinion what are alien big cats most likely to be?

• Escapees from collections, breeding in the UK countryside

Votes: 57 48.3%
  • A species of endemic British big cat somehow overlooked by science

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zooform Phenomena - animal-shaped manifestations of paranormal activity

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Misidentifications of big dogs, normal cats etc

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • A big hoax

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Summat else

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • All of the above

Votes: 23 19.5%

• Total voters
Not sure what this is. Some kind of hybrid?

C8UkXWgUMAA7b5H.jpg

Staggered cat at bay?

A few years back there was a outbreak of big cat sightings round here,
http://www.lep.co.uk/news/offbeat/search-is-on-for-pilling-panther-1-5345521
though that pic looks like a small seal though what it was doing on the railway
is another thing seals do get into some strange places round here.
Anyway the cats, locally it was said there were 2 and these were seen by people
like farmers and game keepers that know what the normal wiled life looks like
were seen quite often and a few part eaten sheep were found, I did see a pair
of eye in the bike headlights they were green and what ever they were attached to
was bigger than a fox but it was a black night and I had my daughter on the back
so did not stop, shortly after this I was told a farmer had shot them but no one
wanted to say more and the sightings stopped.

Some interesting snippets there, RaM, but the way it's formatted made me feel I was reading a bit of experimental poetry!

A few years back there was a outbreak of big cat sightings round here,
http://www.lep.co.uk/news/offbeat/search-is-on-for-pilling-panther-1-5345521
though that pic looks like a small seal though what it was doing on the railway
is another thing seals do get into some strange places round here.
Anyway the cats, locally it was said there were 2 and these were seen by people
like farmers and game keepers that know what the normal wiled life looks like
were seen quite often and a few part eaten sheep were found, I did see a pair
of eye in the bike headlights they were green and what ever they were attached to
was bigger than a fox but it was a black night and I had my daughter on the back
so did not stop, shortly after this I was told a farmer had shot them but no one
wanted to say more and the sightings stopped.
While the cat looks large, given there is actually something you can compare its size with (4ft 8.5in between the rails), it's not that big. Could be a very large domestic cat

While the cat looks large, given there is actually something you can compare its size with (4ft 8.5in between the rails), it's not that big. Could be a very large domestic cat
Dont think the pic holds much weight to be honest, and the line if round here can only be the West Coast Main line
and at its closest that is about 12 miles away

Well. I just had a chance conversation with a colleague ("Where were you last week?" "Oh down in Somerset") and he told me that maybe ten years ago he was 'down in somerset', and he went for a ride on the West Somerset Railway, a steam railway. And he saw 'just for split second' - what, one of those big cats? yes! What colour was it? Black. Did it have a very long tail? Yes. How did you know it wasn't a moggy? Because it was too big at that distance. It was low to the ground. It had a small head, it wasn't a dog. It disappeared into a wood. He said his wife took the piss out of him, and he wanted to report it to the police, but he thought they'd think he was mad.

So I got all excited and started expounding Merrily Harpur's idea that they are real in the sense that people see them, but that they're not actually "real", they're something more weird and unreal. Like ghosts, I said.

I think he thought I was mad then.
Oh well.

It does make you wonder though, how many people have experiences of big cats and other weirdness. But you just don't know until the right conversation turns up.

ABC Spotted On Golf Course

In Huddersfield. Here's a picture with it helpfully circled in case you can't spot it.

Business partners Mark Robinson and Paul Shepherd spotted the beast as they approached the 15th tee at Huddersfield Golf Club yesterday afternoon.

Mark said he saw the animal as it walked slowly over to a couple who were sitting under a tree seemingly oblivious to its presence.

Mark told The Huddersfield Examiner : “We saw what looked like a big black panther walking away from us. It looked to be stalking something, like a cat would.

Mark estimated he was 60 to 70 yards from the animal on the Fixby course golf when he took the pictures, adding: “We were not in any rush to get closer.”
SWNS_PANTHER_SIGHTING_05jpg.jpg

Was there any attempt to discuss this sighting with the folks sitting beneath the tree?

Why is there no mention of their behavior or actions during and following this incident? :dunno:

what are the white and blue things over by the tree? are they people? the people sitting under the tree mentioned in the story?
is that tree quite small? it looks like quite a small tree.
and the cat is between us and the tree.

it calls to mind something from Father Ted about cows and their size.

it's good to have the red circle though isn't it!

Yes they're people, no there's no further mention of them, yes it's closer than them & the photo's conveniently blurred. The man even appears to be looking at it. It's a moggy isn't it. Next!

Yes they're people, no there's no further mention of them, yes it's closer than them & the photo's conveniently blurred. The man even appears to be looking at it. It's a moggy isn't it. Next!
Or it's a dog, just playing on its own, with its owner sitting under the tree reading.

Sighting of big black cat in Scottish countryside sparks police search.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/sightings-big-black-cat-scottish-11194363
Police responded to reports of a big cat seen roaming the Scottish countryside yesterday.

Officers in Angus said that they searched an area around a quarry on the outskirts of Forfar after sightings of a large black cat.

They did not report finding anything.

Angus Police tweeted about the search saying: "Sighting of large black cat near to outskirts of Forfar at quarry.

"Officers have responded and searched the area. #BlackCat #AngusBlackCat "(c) Daily Record 2017

About 6 or 7 years ago I saw a big cat just 9 miles from that quarry, at the crossroads between the Carnoustie - Forfar road and the Redford - Monikie road. It was about 11 at night in the summer, just getting twilight, and I was driving home from Brechin to Carnoustie when I saw a big black shape on the road ahead. I slowed right down and saw it was a big cat. I stopped around 20 metres from it and as I did so it slowly turned to look at the car then walked off into the woods next to the road. I had the thing in sight for probably around 30 seconds and it walked like a cat, it looked like a cat but it was huge like a panther! I was amazed and reported it to the police; I was contacted by the local wildlife crime officer who confirmed that they'd had a number of similar sightings in that area and hundreds round the rest of Angus.

Last edited:
About 6 or 7 years ago I saw a big cat just 9 miles from that quarry, at the crossroads between the Carnoustie - Forfar road and the Redford - Monikie road. It was about 11 at night in the summer, just getting twighlight, and I was driving home from Brechin to Carnoustie when I saw a big black shape on the road ahead. I slowed right down and saw it was a big cat. I stopped around 20 metres from it and as I did so it slowly turned to look at the car then walked off into the woods next to the road. I had the thing in sight for probably around 30 seconds and it walked like a cat, it looked like a cat but it was huge like a panther! I was amazed and reported it to the police; I was contacted by the local wildlife crime officer who confirmed that they'd had a number of similar sightings in that area and hundreds round the rest of Angus.

There's been a lot of sightings in Angus. A friend of mine plotted a lot of the sightings a few years back and a large percentage of them were close to the disused railway line that runs through Angus.

I'm just waiting for the 'Missing lynx found' headline.
In your eye, evolution-deniers!

There was a clip on Have I Got News For You last week where a TV reporter in America was on the spot to capture footage of a big cat. With a dramatic gesture, he signalled the cameraman to focus on the fearsome beast - a small tabby cat. Embarrassment all round. Seems to me to be typical of many ABC stories, though.

Could this be an ABC attack? "Some sort of animal" is implicated at least.

Police have said the fleece and two legs were all that remained of a sheep after it was attacked on farmland in southern Scotland.

It was the second incident reported in separate fields at Holywood near Dumfries on Tuesday.

Police said a first sheep appeared to have been attacked by "some sort of animal".

In the second incident, they said it looked as if the animal had been "skinned".

The sheep were worth about £80 each.

PC Cameron Pagan said: "Investigations have started after police were alerted by the farmer.

"At this stage it seems one of the sheep has been attacked by some sort of animal, either before or after it died, as there is evidence of this.

"However, the second sheep appears to have been skinned in some way, and all that is left is the fleece and two legs."

Anyone with information has been asked to come forward.

Things That Are Not ABCs #1 :

Armed police were sent to an Aberdeenshire farm after a farmer checking his livestock thought he spotted a tiger in his cow shed.

Bruce Grubb, 24, called the police, fearing the predator would attack his pregnant cows, but became suspicious when it failed to move during a 45-minute stand-off.

After driving towards it in his truck he realised he was looking at a large cuddly toy.

By that time several police vehicles, including an armed unit, had responded to the incident at the farm near Peterhead on Saturday. Officers even checked with a local wildlife park in case a tiger was on the loose.

When the truth emerged, Police Scotland said they were regarding it as a "false call made with genuine good intent”. Officers removed the tiger, telling an embarrassed Mr Grubb they wanted to keep it as a mascot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/06/toy-tiger-sparks-armed-police-alert-scottish-farm/

With photos of the vicious beastie!

Things That Are Not ABCs #1 :

Armed police were sent to an Aberdeenshire farm after a farmer checking his livestock thought he spotted a tiger in his cow shed.

Bruce Grubb, 24, called the police, fearing the predator would attack his pregnant cows, but became suspicious when it failed to move during a 45-minute stand-off.

After driving towards it in his truck he realised he was looking at a large cuddly toy.

By that time several police vehicles, including an armed unit, had responded to the incident at the farm near Peterhead on Saturday. Officers even checked with a local wildlife park in case a tiger was on the loose.

When the truth emerged, Police Scotland said they were regarding it as a "false call made with genuine good intent”. Officers removed the tiger, telling an embarrassed Mr Grubb they wanted to keep it as a mascot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/06/toy-tiger-sparks-armed-police-alert-scottish-farm/

With photos of the vicious beastie!

He probably thought it was rally a feral Haggis.

Not actually alien, but anomalous for its size and cool enough for a mention. Imagine meeting that in the dark, what would one's imagination turn it into?

One of the largest wildcats ever recorded in the world is said to have been discovered by field workers in Aberdeenshire's Clashindarroch Forest.

Nicknamed the Clashindarroch Beast, it was captured on camera and is estimated to be 4ft (1.2m) from nose to tail.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-43555314

Back