• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

In your opinion what are alien big cats most likely to be?

• Escapees from collections, breeding in the UK countryside

Votes: 57 48.3%
  • A species of endemic British big cat somehow overlooked by science

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zooform Phenomena - animal-shaped manifestations of paranormal activity

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Misidentifications of big dogs, normal cats etc

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • A big hoax

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Summat else

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • All of the above

Votes: 23 19.5%

• Total voters
Seeing pictures like that turns my stomach, so your description has (inadvertently, I know :) ) not helped.

Sorry. I'm extremely squeamish about such things.

:horr:

Without using any more icky words... are you saying that would likely have to be an ABC cat, then, as opposed to a normal-sized moggy?

Sorry SZ.

Cats don't eat carrion, and if it was a canine, the vertebral processes would've been chewed away. These bones have been chewed around, and then licked to get the remains off.

I suppose that there could have been a mob of moggies to eat that amount of deer.

Really must get around to watching that Tomorrow's World video.

Anyway, recently Mr Zebra and I had occasion to visit the area where I (along with family members) had seen, on several occasions, an ABC Cat when I was younger. With the benefit of being adult and looking at things more logically, we stood where I stood all those years ago, and looked across at the forest where it had been sighted.

The distance (as calculated later using google maps) was approx. 300 metres. But even as we were standing there we both knew there was no way a normal-sized cat would have been visible at that distance, and certainly not at the size it had appeared to us.

So... I think it remains unexplained... at least for now :)

Yet another UK ABC film. This one featuring FT's own Karl Shuker, the late Trevor Beer and a bloke with the poshest name going.

And another one with clips from local news as well. The cat filmed on the far is transparently a domestic moggy that has nothing to do with the sheep kills.

That does look definitely like a panther.

Imagine waking up and that is lade on your chest purring away, or worst still licking it's lips.

Imagine waking up and that is lade on your chest purring away, or worst still licking it's lips.

Our cat likes to lie on your chest, then turn around and shove its bum in your face.

Reactions: RaM
Black panther filmed - and caught - in Northern France. Escapee, or oversized black moggy?
https://www.thelocal.fr/20190919/photo-of-the-day-french-firefighters-black-panther

The French black panther plot thickens ...
Black panther stolen from zoo after capture in French town

The black panther captured while walking the rooftops of a French town has gone missing from the zoo to which it was taken and is believed to have been stolen.

Authorities said the panther, captured last week while wandering loose in Armentieres, was taken to the Maubeuge Zoo while awaiting transfer to a refuge for mistreated animals, but was discovered to be missing during a Tuesday morning inspection.

Investigators said there was no damage to the enclosure, but the security system appeared to have been tampered with by the apparent thieves.

Veterinarians said the panther, believed to be between 5 and 6 months, had been declawed before escaping from its owner's home through an open window last week.

Police said they have identified the owner of the illegal pet, but the person has not been charged.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/0...er-capture-in-French-town/2221569334327/?sl=5

THE PURRMINATOR

Source: 'The Sun' newspaper
Date: 29 September, 2019

‘Monster supercat’ on the loose after terrorising two young children in their London

A MUM has told how she saved her two young children from a ferocious “supercat” as it stalked them in their garden.

Dr Neetu Nirdosh hurled a toy at the spotted beast as it snapped at the petrified kids.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10031277/monster-supercat-on-the-loose/

ABC Reported near Maitland, NSW, Australia.

Second sighting of 'puma-sized' cat prompts another DPI investigation
A second investigation has begun into sightings of a puma-sized cat in the Hunter Valley after the ABC obtained footage of sighting on New Year's Day.
Bev Fraser said she will never forget looking down a fence line on her Hunter Valley property on January 1, and spotting what she described as a "puma-sized cat".

"It was just a very big, very, very, very black cat, and obviously a cat," Ms Fraser said."It was too large to be an overgrown domestic cat — just a 50-kilo sort of animal sitting on my fence post."

Ms Fraser, who lives on the outskirts of Maitland in New South Wales, said she had not been able to get closer than about 120 metres before the animal sensed she was there, and that she could only zoom so much to get an in-focus image.

She said the cat's size could be determined in relation to the sturdy fence post on which it was sitting.
"You look at it, and look at the proportion of the size of the animal to the post, and you go holy cow," she said.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-20/hunter-valley-big-cat-sighting-nsw-dpi-investigates/11877970

I don't know if I said this before, but I guess that in the UK ABCs are a thing because in several other places the reaction to a sighting are just "Not again!", and they are mistaken for normal animals.

Which of course makes the UK cases important, because there are more reports.

I think I found the problem:
Cats.jpg

Back