• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

In your opinion what are alien big cats most likely to be?

• Escapees from collections, breeding in the UK countryside

Votes: 57 48.3%
  • A species of endemic British big cat somehow overlooked by science

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zooform Phenomena - animal-shaped manifestations of paranormal activity

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Misidentifications of big dogs, normal cats etc

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • A big hoax

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Summat else

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • All of the above

Votes: 23 19.5%

• Total voters
I obviously can't share the photo but on Lancaster Past & Present someone has shared an alleged photograph of an ABC on the grounds of Lancaster University.

If I can find a legal way of sharing it I will. Some comments below state it it may be a Coon cat, but others claim that it definitely isn't one.

I'm sorry that I can't share any more unless you can access the Facebook page.

It is quite a clear photo BTW.
Find the picture on FB, click on it to open it up. Right-click on the picture and select Copy image address.
In here, click on the Insert image button, click on the By URL button, then use Ctrl + v to paste in the image address.
Click on Insert.

Doing it this way inserts a link to the image, so it's not actually hosted on this forum. So it should be legal (I think).

If that is confirmed as legal I will be happy to do so.

I will wait for confirmation that I can do so before sharing as I don't want to get anyone into legal trouble.

If that is confirmed as legal I will be happy to do so.

I will wait for confirmation that I can do so before sharing as I don't want to get anyone into legal trouble.
Sure, ask the mods to confirm.

If it's posted on a public facebook page, it's public. (Facebook might own it now, regardless.)

Find the picture on FB, click on it to open it up. Right-click on the picture and select Copy image address.
In here, click on the Insert image button, click on the By URL button, then use Ctrl + v to paste in the image address.
Click on Insert.

Doing it this way inserts a link to the image, so it's not actually hosted on this forum. So it should be legal (I think).
128134142_1831723343650028_5683757880773028035_o.jpg

You mean like that?

If it's posted on a public facebook page, it's public. (Facebook might own it now, regardless.)
It is posted on a public page. Not sure why Facebook would own it? Unless specifically assigned the ownership / copyright of a photograph rests with the creator.

This photo was posted here in April but allegedly taken in Bowness in the Lake District.

The size of the eye makes me think 'domestic cat'. They tend to have very large eyes in relation to their body, unlike large cats. Blame human intervention in the breeding.

Just my two pennyworth.

It is posted on a public page. Not sure why Facebook would own it? Unless specifically assigned the ownership / copyright of a photograph rests with the creator.
Oops, "own" was too strong. They can distribute your content in accordance with your privacy settings. Therefore, if it's public, it's public, which is why I asked if it was on a public page.

From the Halifax Courier (hard to tell if genuine or not):

VIDEO: Watch the moment a big cat is seen prowling around the Piece Hall
The creature was spotted on the Piece Hall’s CCTV cameras and and staff at the historic Halifax landmark are puzzled at what the creature could be.
Nicky Chance-Thompson, chief executive of the Piece Hall Trust, said: “The Piece Hall is always full of surprises. Our operations team showed me some interesting images around what they’d seen in a routine auditing of the overnight footage and we couldn’t work out what it was other than it resembled a very big cat.
“Where did it come from and why is it here?”
https://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/ne...-big-cat-sighting-halifaxs-piece-hall-3047535

There are two more sightings on this media site. None of them have dates on the video, though maybe the third has date 10-09. The first and second camera clips show the animal appearing at the exact same time mark: 12:04 which may be some clue.

Second clip: This one seems to just disappear. https://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/ne...ig-black-cat-around-dean-clough-mills-3050150

Third clip: This one is clearly larger, dog-sized. https://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/ne...hird-alleged-sighting-big-cat-halifax-3052124

I'm not familiar with the locations in relation to one another. But it is interesting:
1. Same black large cat?
2. Different animal sightings lumped together (regular cat, dog)?
3. Hoax?

The footage that shows it walking behind the van looks wrong to me. I realise that it’s not great quality footage but the creature doesn’t look like it’s there,if that makes sense. It looks superimposed,not real. Why only a few seconds of footage as well? Surely the creature must have shown itself again when it moved from behind the van.

Something of an ABC flap in Halifax, with three recent sightings in quick succession. It is claimed there is CCTV footage to corroborate each sighting, I'm not convinced there's no CGI going on here - the way in which it appears and disappears in both the Piece Hall and Dean Clough footage seems off, to me.

Anyway, here's what there is, in supposed chronological order, plus links to the local newspaper reports:
Piece Hall sighting:
Dean Clough sighting:
Hopwood Lane sighting:

ETA apologies @Lord Lucan and @Sharon Hill - I don't know how I managed to miss both your posts on the same subject.

Confirmed as part of a marketing campaign for Halifax Panthers Rugby League Football Club
I see the news story about the renaming of the club. Is there a link to the confirmation? I think that kind of marketing - to appeal to fear - is disgusting.

I see the news story about the renaming of the club. Is there a link to the confirmation? I think that kind of marketing - to appeal to fear - is disgusting.

The confession is mentioned in the same outlet's article about the rugby team's rebranding ...

The club, which has produced a new badge to accompany the new name, has also confirmed that the Halifax Big Cat story that has gone viral online over the past few days was part of the pre-publicity for the announcement.

https://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/sp...announce-name-change-halifax-panthers-3055586

There was no fear around the town, there was much hilarity, and, from the few fortean types some initial excitement

And the winner of the SERIOUSLY LAME prize this year goes to...

Cant these guys go back to biting each others ears off and really rude songs?

And the winner of the SERIOUSLY LAME prize this year goes to...

Cant these guys go back to biting each others ears off and really rude songs?

It's the other rugby code that does that public school boy stuff. As for the name, I really like it.

It's the other rugby code that does that public school boy stuff. As for the name, I really like it.
Agree with you on 15 men doing a 13 man job. The name's not that well-thought-through, though, is it? Given that Donald Neilson lived just up the road in Bradford...

Agree with you on 15 men doing a 13 man job. The name's not that well-thought-through, though, is it? Given that Donald Neilson lived just up the road in Bradford...

I hear you but tbh I think that's just a bit too "touchy feely" Neilson's crimes were committed in the mid 70s, there's many sports clubs around the world, indeed around the uk, a quick google comes up with dozens of them.

I hear you but tbh I think that's just a bit too "touchy feely" Neilson's crimes were committed in the mid 70s, there's many sports clubs around the world, indeed around the uk, a quick google comes up with dozens of them.
You're probably right, and I'm making too much of it. To be honest, I still haven't made peace with the name Bradford Bulls. There were nowt wrong wi't name Bradford Northern. And look what good the name change and Murdoch cash infusion did them. So I'm sceptical about these more showbiz names. What connection do Panthers have to Halifax? Even the motorbikes were built in Cleckheaton...

Back