• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

In your opinion what are alien big cats most likely to be?

• Escapees from collections, breeding in the UK countryside

Votes: 57 48.3%
  • A species of endemic British big cat somehow overlooked by science

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zooform Phenomena - animal-shaped manifestations of paranormal activity

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Misidentifications of big dogs, normal cats etc

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • A big hoax

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Summat else

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • All of the above

Votes: 23 19.5%

• Total voters
Edit: have just been for a virtual walk around Queen's park in Heywood thanks to Google maps. The paths appear to be asphalted and not rough like in the photo, even when you venture away from the main routes but for me there appears to also be a rather well worn bush dog track in that photo along which said animal is running and that suggests the zoo.

Also Mr Brad doesn't mention in which part of the quite large park he saw the creature which is a bit of a red flag I feel.

Last edited:
While looking through some old newspapers in the library, I came across mention of ABCs in West Norfolk in early May 2001 (in "The Lynn News"). I was pressed for time so made a note of the dates and carried on. Does anyone know of these sightings? The reason I ask is because if this is already known, I won't bother getting images made. For one thing, the library microfilm reader is not networked to the printer so I have to take photos of the screen using my phone and the quality isn't wonderful but with perseverance, you can make them out.

While looking through some old newspapers in the library, I came across mention of ABCs in West Norfolk in early May 2001 (in "The Lynn News"). I was pressed for time so made a note of the dates and carried on. Does anyone know of these sightings? The reason I ask is because if this is already known, I won't bother getting images made. For one thing, the library microfilm reader is not networked to the printer so I have to take photos of the screen using my phone and the quality isn't wonderful but with perseverance, you can make them out.
Maybe try the good folks at Weird Norfolk?

https://www.edp24.co.uk/topics/weird-norfolk

They are pretty informed about their own area

Aye. There doesn't look much grass cover in the video, but in the article the picture shows grass on only one side of the trail. I think it's a good call, whoever suggested Chester Zoo.
I'm not that familiar with Manchester, however when I search for 'Manchester' + 'zoo" I get Chester Zoo:

https://www.visitmanchester.com/thi...e-north/explore-the-north/chester-zoo-p300891

Start of the school holidays, kids love those little Bush Dogs, so maybe a harmless publicity stunt...?

Here is one hot off the press from Norwich and includes a still photo and video:

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/large-cat-sighting-in-sprowston-norwich-9199382

To my mind its a black farm cat (based on the height of stubble)

They could be the taller Bluebell leaves, not grass?
Not in August when John Brad 'allegedly' took this photo

Also note the plant with the green stem and leaves growing in amongst those logs. A bush dog has a shoulder height of 20-30cm and that fits with this image, those green plants would have to be a lot more sturdy to remain upright at a greater height

Last edited:
Start of the school holidays, kids love those little Bush Dogs, so maybe a harmless publicity stunt...?
I did find the bush dog enclosure on Google maps. It's under trees mostly, and a wire mesh fence seems to surround it. From trying to get pictures of animals through such fences, I'd find it unlikely a member of the public could take such a photo from that angle. But who knows? I didn't follow the fences all the way around.

It's between 53.224896,-2.880194 and The Oakfield on Google maps.

I have never heard of these animals. They are cute.
They're really wee, too.

Not in August when John Brad 'allegedly' took this photo

Also note the plant with the green stem and leaves growing in amongst those logs. A bush dog has a shoulder height of 20-30cm and that fits with this image, those green plants would have to be a lot more sturdy to remain upright at a greater height
Whoopsie! Missed seeing the date - should have paid more attention to detail there 'Paul,'
That is ~ UNLESS the photograph shown was not actually taken in August, and (as was suggested in comments), as being a complete wind-up, or the photo itself being falsely - or wrongly added?

Last edited:
I did find the bush dog enclosure on Google maps. It's under trees mostly, and a wire mesh fence seems to surround it. From trying to get pictures of animals through such fences, I'd find it unlikely a member of the public could take such a photo from that angle. But who knows? I didn't follow the fences all the way around.

It's between 53.224896,-2.880194 and The Oakfield on Google maps.

They're really wee, too.
This chap gets videos without the fences but doesn't seem to be an employee (based on his other videos). You can also see other people reflected in glass so maybe a viewing area...?

This chap gets videos without the fences but doesn't seem to be an employee (based on his other videos). You can also see other people reflected in glass so maybe a viewing area...?

Painted dogs really do look crazy. Looking at Chester Zoo's website, there are loads of animals I'd love to see. But it's so far away from me.

Update:

Just found John Brad on Facebook. He has posted 'humorous' photoshopped images of himself and this creature and getting lots of likes etc... Looks like it was a wind up but judge for yourself, his profile is easy to find

There's definitely a something in north-east Wales - or at least was in the past - members of my family have seen it. Doubt it's puma sized though, more likely one of the smaller exotic cats.

A question for you UK members: are there many feral housecats living in UK? Here in the US, there are many in the warmer states.
My Mum has one living in her garden. She leaves water out for it, but it always runs away when she goes out to look for it.

Big cat sightings soar as drought brings exotic beasts out of hiding to look for water

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/big-cat-sightings-soar-drought-27874003
Hmmm!
It is not clear what exactly the animal was, but a local wildlife expert – known only as Mr Tunbridge – said that the increase in sightings has been caused by the drought.

He said that due to the lack of water, the UK's panther population, which stands at around 250

I am not saying it is completely implausible but I am not sure where "Mr Tunbridge" is getting his facts from!

@Endlessly Amazed There are some but not that many. It is not the problem here that it is in many other countries. I expect there are localised populations in some places though.

Hmmm!

I am not saying it is completely implausible but I am not sure where "Mr Tunbridge" is getting his facts from!

@Endlessly Amazed There are some but not that many. It is not the problem here that it is in many other countries. I expect there are localised populations in some places though.
I assume 'Mr Tunbridge', the 'wildlife expert', is the Frank Tunbridge who, in this article, is described as a 'wildlife enthusiast'.

Gloucestershire Live

EDIT In the headline of this Gloucestershire Live article from 2019, he's described as a 'big cat expert'.

Gloucestershire Live

I wonder whether @lordmongrove knows this fellow, and what his credentials actually are.

Last edited:
A question for you UK members: are there many feral housecats living in UK? Here in the US, there are many in the warmer states.
They form large colonies:

“Around 40 cats and kittens are thought to be living around Nutley Lane in Reigate,with several pregnant cats among the group”

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/feral-cats-out-hand-reigate-21520920

There was also a large colony ion Box Hill, Surrey in the 1970s and in the derelict Starcross hospital, Devon in the 1990s

I assume 'Mr Tunbridge', the 'wildlife expert', is the Frank Tunbridge who, in this article, is described as a 'wildlife enthusiast'.

Gloucestershire Live

EDIT In the headline of this Gloucestershire Live article from 2019, he's described as a 'big cat expert'.

Gloucestershire Live

I wonder whether @lordmongrove knows this fellow, and what his credentials actually are.
I do know that he's pretty well known for chasing up many Big Cat reports.

Long-time 'Researcher' as far as I am aware 'marhawkman.' He used to work along with a colleague, (don't know if he still does) when he carried out his investigations into what people had reported.
A population of 250 still seems an odd figure for him to pull out of his behind, especially as he doesn't seem to have proven a population of even one. However, he clearly knows more about the subject than I, so there's little I can say. I'd still like to know thought process.

A population of 250 still seems an odd figure for him to pull out of his behind, especially as he doesn't seem to have proven a population of even one. However, he clearly knows more about the subject than I, so there's little I can say. I'd still like to know thought process.
Yeah this is what I was getting at... how much of his efforts are actual research and how many are just talking about the subject?

Back