• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Alien Vs Predator

Who would win?!

• Alien of course!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Duuh, predator

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Even stephens

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sausages?

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
Sticking this here, though I stress it DOES NOT have everybody's favourite, acid for blood, stomach egg laying xenomorph in it.

PREDATORS, a bold new chapter in the Predator universe, shot under the creative auspices of Robert Rodriguez, stars Adrien Brody as Royce, a mercenary who reluctantly leads a group of elite warriors who come to realize they've been brought together on an alien planet...as prey. With the notable exception of a disgraced physician, they are all cold-blooded killers - mercenaries, Yakuza convicts, death squad members - human "predators" that are now being systemically hunted and elimanted by a new breed of alien Predators.

First footage and some nice artwork

The quote doesn't mention Laurence Fishburne is in it too.

Fingers crossed !

I'm not sure, Adrien Brody has made some terrible choices since his Oscar. But fingers crossed as you say. The presence of Laurence Fishburne can't be bad, can it?

That's great! Well worth reading from the top, too. Thanks, Philo :).

I dont really like the Avatar like four legged Predibeast.

My mate pointed out that the home planet must have other life forms other than Predators, but still. I fear a CGI fest.

That said Rodriguez has a decent track record.

Will be better than AVP2 undoubtedly.

Useless bit of trivia I picked up last night whilst watching A v P: the icebreaker on which Weyland's crew travelled to Bouvet Island was called the Piper Maru, which is a fine and dandy name for a ship. However, this was also the name of the ship in the eponymous X-Files episode, way back in 1996.

I did a quick Google to see if there was a real ship of this name, and it got interesting - the X-Files ship, and therefore, presumably, the same one in A v P, were named after Gillian Anderson's daughter. I guess this means, then, that X-Files and all the Alien and/or Predator films all take place in the same fictional universe?

It was vaguely intersting, too, to find out that Bouvet Island (Bouvetøya in the film) is real, although not quite in the spot shown in the film's satellite imagery. It's also not far enough South to be in the sort of permanent gloom shown in the film, and it's never had a whaling station... still, I do realise that A v P wasn't a documentary, so I shouldn't gripe, except about the extraordinarily quick gestation period of the Aliens (I suppose we can say that the Predators engineered them that way, but even so!)...

Lance Henrikson was also in an episode of The X-Files playing Frank Black. The same character he played in Chris Carter's other series, Millennium.

river_styx said:
Lance Henrikson was also in an episode of The X-Files playing Frank Black. The same character he played in Chris Carter's other series, Millennium.
An X-Files episode called "Millennium", naturally enough. I thought of that, but didn't think I could find a way of linking it to AvP. Of course, if X-Files and AvP do inhabit the same universe, it means that Frank Black may be related to Charles Bishop Weyland - after all, they look uncannily alike!

Of course, if X-Files and AvP do inhabit the same universe, it means that Frank Black may be related to Charles Bishop Weyland - after all, they look uncannily alike!

They could be Australian Twins.

Anyway, anybody wanting to go see Predators definitely should. Don't expect anything on the level of greatness that was the original, but do expect to be pleasantly surprised. If only there had been a few more actual Predators and a couple of good quotable lines, then it would have been awesome.

Nothing will ever match 'I ain't got time to bleed' though. I'm having that motherfucker chiselled into my headstone! Especially if I'm shot.

I have always thought the 2nd one owned the 1st,and danny glover beats arnie into a bloody pulp.

titch said:
I have always thought the 2nd one owned the 1st,and danny glover beats arnie into a bloody pulp.
-
I liked them both. But, I agree, the second film actually had the edge. More filled out characters, better battleground. Danny Glover's cop character was altogether more sympathetic, tougher some ways.

I do actually love the second film and will always argue that it's one of the great, underrated sequels of recent times. I do usually get laughed at by people whose whole argument consists solely of the word 'No' and who then trot out the usual movie magazine lines "It suffers because there's no Arnie". That's the point though. It didn't need Arnie.

river_styx said:
I do actually love the second film and will always argue that it's one of the great, underrated sequels of recent times. I do usually get laughed at by people whose whole argument consists solely of the word 'No' and who then trot out the usual movie magazine lines "It suffers because there's no Arnie". That's the point though. It didn't need Arnie.

Indeed, I thought it worked better in an urban setting. Much more likely to watch the 2nd rather than the 1st.

Another problem i had with the 1st pred i only realised when watching dog soldiers,the actors in dog soldiers where convincing as soldiers,the actors in predator seemed to me more like poor actors trying to be soldiers.

titch said:
Another problem i had with the 1st pred i only realised when watching dog soldiers,the actors in dog soldiers where convincing as soldiers,the actors in predator seemed to me more like poor actors trying to be soldiers.

Good point! Dog Soldiers was another great film.

Watched predators last night,was ok but nothing special,better then the 1st not as good as the 2nd IMO.I want one of those predatordogthingies to set on the hoodie yobs round my estate :D

I really don't see how Chris Hansen fits into the oeuvre.

titch said:
Watched predators last night,was ok but nothing special,better then the 1st not as good as the 2nd IMO.I want one of those predatordogthingies to set on the hoodie yobs round my estate :D

Better than the first? :shock:

Surprise! There's going to be a new Predator movie!
News story

Bigger surprise for the director: someone's spoiled his surprise about there being a new Predator movie. This is why most conspiracies are doomed to failure, you know.

Surprise! There's going to be a new Predator movie!
News story

Bigger surprise for the director: someone's spoiled his surprise about there being a new Predator movie. This is why most conspiracies are doomed to failure, you know.

Prey: Set in 1719 on the Northern Great Plains of America, we learn much about the lore and lifestyle of a Comanche tribe. Naru (Amber Midthunder) doesn't want to be restricted to women's work, though a skilled healer she wants to become a warrior. She joins in a mountain lion hunt after glimpsing/hearing a Predator craft in the sky. she tries to convince the male warriors that they are facing something greater than a bear when they see that the lion has been scared away from it;s den. Naturally they won't listen to a young woman. So begins this coming of age saga where Naru will have to face up to a Predator. French trappers get involved, indeed their traps are more than a nuisance at times but come to good use as well. Some great hand to hand combat between the Predator and humans but it also fights bears and wolves. It has advanced weapons but spears, muskets and tomahawks come into play as well. Some great scenery as battle is awaited in misty forests. The Predator effects are pretty good as is Naru's trusty dog Sarii who deserves an Oscar for Best Supporting Non-Human. Great performance by Amber Midthunder in this Prequel to the Predator series.. Directed by Dan Trachtenberg and written by Patrick Aison. On Hulu. 8.5/10.

Back