• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Alien Vs Predator

Who would win?!

• Alien of course!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Duuh, predator

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Even stephens

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sausages?

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
Hmmmm, Antarctica... I thought that Preadators needed hot conditions and Aliens needed heat to breed?

I remember an interview with Sigourney Weaver, in which she was asked her opinion about the then still-in-development-hell Alien vs. Predator, with the interviewer comparing it to 'Destroy All Monsters' ( Toho's multi-monster mega orgy, featuring virtually every creature in the Toho roster beating the crap out of each other in a battle royale for the fate of earth ). She replied with a disgusted ( and vaguely holier-than-thou ) dismissal that the Alien fims were artistic statements, that she had never heard of ( much less seen ) the rubber monster epic, and vowing that she would do everything in her power to see that the 'Alien' franchise would never sink to such a deplorably juvenile level. Ah, if only she'd had similar convictions regarding Alien Resurrection...

I knew not to expect too much from a Paul Anderson movie but the reviews are pretty worrying. Who knows maybe the final edit and rewrites will sort it..
P.S Read in the paper today (Metro-London) that Ms Weaver was considering doing a proper Alien sequel, I guess it depends on AVP raking in the $ which it probaly will, but I dunno about it being a massive franchise reviver-I'll be choking on my words come August......Predator 3 will almost definatly happen, me thinks, maybe a fair budgeted affair or a low budget one like Starship Troopers 2 (very good considering the extremly low budget)

You know, I, myself am in Australia and queite happy in the fact that we are well behind the rest of the world. I have just found out that this movie has even been made.
Now.
Both these movie franchises are not really all that important in the grander scheme of things, so if some dopey Hollywood producer wants to try and make a buck by putting them both in one movie, I say bring it on.
If you are really upset that the artistic value of the Alien movies is going to be tainted, well I say go and find yourself a women and have some sex, cause thats what you need.
I have not been so excited about a movie since Freddy met Jason and if you have a problem with that, well bite me.
Now I'm off to pass out.
Goodnight.

The above opinions do not represent those of the management, and should not be seen as indicative of general attitudes of the Australian People.

Well this is slightly off topic but when i read this article i laughed out loud in several places. Enjoy!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5651677/

By Christopher Bahn
MSNBC contributor
Updated: 3:11 p.m. ET Aug. 10, 2004“Alien vs. Predator” is only the latest example of that perennial sci-fi subgenre known as the crossover — where two characters from two different series cross into one another’s storytelling territories. In the case of “AvP,” you can even divide it further into the sub-subgenre known informally as “Who’d kick whose butt?”

advertisement

A huge source of inspiration for this sort of fanboy matchup is the great Marvel/DC split — that is, the fact that almost all comic-book heroes fall into two major groups by virtue of which company publishes their stories, and almost never meet in an official context. The recent four-issue “Avengers vs. JLA” series, co-published by both companies, was a rare example of this.

But why stop at Aliens and Predators? Here’s a full fight card matching up more than a dozen other movie monsters, tough guys and villains. For now, in keeping with the “Alien vs. Predator” theme, we’ll limit the battlefield contestants to those from science-fiction films, and wait until another day to pit Dick Van Dyke, Angela Lansbury and Andy Griffith against each other in a “Diagnosis: Murder” vs. “Murder She Wrote” vs. “Matlock” fight to the death. Now there’s a grudge match.

Arachnid attack
In this corner: The Alien Queen from “Aliens” (1986)
In that corner: Shelob the spider from “Lord of the Rings: Return of the King” (2003)
And the winner is: Tough call. That acidic Alien blood is a distinct advantage, and would give Shelob only one chance to get a hit in with that nasty stinger of hers. But as J.R.R. Tolkien describes her in his books, Shelob is very old, very strong and very cunning. And if the fight is on Shelob’s home turf, the Alien Queen is toast. (Next, Shelob will go eat Aragog, the giant spider of “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.”)

Hunting season is open
In this corner: The Predator from “Predator” (1987)
In that corner: The T-1000 Terminator from “Terminator 2: Judgment Day” (1991)
And the winner is: Two relentless hunters face off against each other, both spoiling for a victory after their humiliating losses to Arnold Schwarzenegger. The Predator’s invisibility trick will be useless on a machine that has no trouble seeing in infrared. And the T-1000’s shapeshifting abilities make it nearly impossible to kill, and completely invulnerable to the blades the Predator keeps in its arsenal. On the other hand, the only two things that seemed to slow down or stop the Terminator were extreme cold (like a tankful of liquid nitrogen) or extreme heat (like a vat of molten iron) — and the Predator has access to laser weapons that might be able to melt his liquid adversary in a way he won’t be able to bounce back from. Still, on balance we give this one to the Terminator.

The again, maybe size is everything
In this corner: Glen Manning, the unfortunate size-plagued title character of “The Amazing Colossal Man” (1957)
In that corner: Scott Carey, the unfortunate size-plagued title character of “The Amazing Shrinking Man” (1957)
And the winner is: Oh, this one’s a heartbreaker. Even though “Shrinking Man” is by far the better film and Carey the cooler hero, there’s just no way a guy who’s rapidly getting smaller and smaller is going to win a hand-to-hand fight against a guy who keeps getting bigger and bigger. The best Carey can hope for is that maybe Manning won’t be able to find him without a very large magnifying glass.

A smorgasbord of smackdown
In this corner: The Borg, from various “Star Trek” shows including the movie “Star Trek: First Contact”
In that corner: Marvin the Martian, from various Warner Brothers cartoons including “Duck Dodgers in the 24½th Century.”
And the winner is: Marvin. It’s no contest, really. While the Borg are obviously far more powerful and will be able to assimilate the little helmeted guy very easily, the whole concept of “assimilation” will backfire on them. Because when they add Marvin’s technological and cultural distinctiveness to their own, they absorb the terrible cosmic bad luck that attaches to every Warner Brothers cartoon villain. The next time the Borg attack the Federation, they’ll attempt to destroy Earth with one of Marvin’s Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulators, which are guaranteed to malfunction, leading to the total destruction of the Borg fleet. Marvin survives because like every WB character, he is effectively indestructible (just very, very unlucky). He flies off into space clinging to a piece of Borg Cube wreckage, waiting to be rescued by Daffy or Bugs.

When world-destroyers collide
In this corner: Galactus, perennial Marvel Comics villain
In that corner: Darth Vader, of the “Star Wars” films
And the winner is: Galactus. Vader may have the Death Star at his command, with the ability to destroy whole planets at his nefarious command. But big as it is, the Death Star is still only the size of a small moon. Galactus, on the other hand, literally eats planets for breakfast, and he could crack open the Death Star like he’s making a fried egg. So unless Vader can quickly establish an alliance with the Silver Surfer, the Empire is in trouble. (OK, yes, Galactus has never been in a movie, but I liked this matchup so much I violated my own rule. Sorry.)

Heston! Heston! Heston!
In this corner: Charlton Heston as George Taylor in “Planet of the Apes” (1968)
In that corner: Charlton Heston as Robert Neville in “The Omega Man” (1971)
In that other corner: Charlton Heston as Robert Thorn in “Soylent Green” (1973)
And the winner is: Three of the tough-guy characters who made Heston the iconic hero of dystopian survivalist sci-fi films face off. Three Charltons go into the ring, and only one will come out. Will it be the only intelligent human in a world ruled by intelligent monkeys? The detective who uncovers the terrible secret behind an overpopulated Earth’s only food supply? Or the last remaining normal human in a world of albino vampires? We’re going with the Omega Man in this fight — not only are his survival skills the sharpest of the three, but the other films’ twist endings give him an edge. Thorn will get KO’ed first, as he’s bound to be malnourished now that he knows what Soylent Green is really made of. And Taylor is definitely a scrapper, but since he’s so despondent about the surprise appearance of the Statue of Liberty, he won’t fight as well as he might otherwise, and might even welcome death at Neville’s hands.

Brawl of the big bacteria
In this corner: The Thing (1981)
In that corner: The Blob (1958)
In that other corner: The Creeping Terror (1964)
And the winner is: It’s sure not the Creeping Terror, a monster from one of those deliriously bad movies that “Mystery Science Theater 3000” loved to mock — supposedly a giant bacteria, it’s really just a carpet covered by a couple of stagehands whose feet were still visible. That leaves us with the Blob, a single-celled organism from outer space that eats anything it touches, and the Thing from John Carpenter’s horror remake, which absorbs and imitates any living being it gets near. Advantage: The Thing. They’re both equally omnivorous. They’re both equally vulnerable to fire and freezing, which cancels each other out. But the Thing has two tricks up its sleeve (assuming it can grown arms that can wear sleeves, that is). First, the Blob is not very bright — it’s made of one cell, and it’s not a brain cell. The Thing knows how to build a spacecraft out of spare parts it finds in a storage shed, which I bet even that Stephen Hawking guy can’t do. Combine that with the Thing's ability to shapeshift, and eventually it’ll figure out a way to turn into a monster whose stomach can digest even the Blob.

© 2004 MSNBC Interactive

anome said:
The above opinions do not represent those of the management, and should not be seen as indicative of general attitudes of the Australian People.

Which generally involve more beer and swearing

anome said:

Although the Management believe that the Sydney 2000 Olympic openning ceremony was the best.

Ever.

And anyone who disagrees with the management (on any issue) is -of course- Un Australian. And deserves to be used as feedstock for any impending Alien vs Predator type situation.

More beer please!

Box Office hit or miss?

The movie made the no 1 spot and has now plummeted to no 4 with takings off around 63 million, apperantly the word of mouth from audiences is its a duffer and the reviews seem to suggest they may be right, although the reviews from fan boy sites aren't that bad. Is 63 million considered ok in movie circles or will 20 Century Fox see it as a flop and put to bed both the franchises. Which is where I'm coming from-I want more movies with these ET bad asses, teamed up or not. I've read the novel of the film and was pleasently surprised, however I grant the Paul Anderson movie may well be, well a Paul Anderson movie....suffient yet souless

Alien vs Predator

When I heard this film had been greenlit, I groaned. The creative insolvents of Hollywood were milking another couple of once-beloved franchises till their teats turned blue. I would no more see this movie than I would bother with the fratboy delights of Freddie vs Jason.

The trailer made me think, "Hey, this is cool!" An Alien hisses, its glossy black head criss-crossed by the cuts from a Predator's net. A Predator throws his razor-edged frisbie and slices a leaping facehugger in two. Hundreds of Aliens race up the steps of a ziggurat. My inner child leaped for joy. I was going to see this movie. So what if it had maybe three good scenes? I was going to see a fun ol' monster punch-up.

When I saw the movie tonight, I realised I had overestimated the number of good scenes.

Mind you, I knew why I was there. I was still in it for the monster punch-up. I just hadn't realised I was going to miss characterisation so much.

AvP is suspense filmmaking at its most basic. There are many characters in this film, but I felt no allegiance to any of them because I barely knew them. They were introduced in short-short scenes too short to be described with long words such as "perfunctory" or "telegraphic." All I felt was a tugging at my viscera as they scrambled through the by-the-numbers set-ups already-familiar from the other two adventure films I had seen this year, Van Helsing and Hellboy. But where Hellboy had characters and relationships, and Van Helsing had -... well, where Hellboy had characters and relationships, however cliched, AvP has... fodder.

The only threads of continuity with earlier movies are the creatures themselves and some material that got cut from Alien and has been developed into the major setting of this movie. (See Giger's book on the making of Alien for details.) Oh, and Lance Henriksen, looking like a boiled shoe and sounding as if he hasn't gotten over his turn in Scream 3.

The monster punch-up, when it comes, is as fun as I expected it to be. It's just that by the time it arrived, I'd become tired of hanging out with the grim strangers onscreen. The Predator vehicles look cool. There's a last-minute gag that will make you either gasp at its coolness or laugh out loud, depending on how jaded you've become. Other than that, the fun mainly comes from seeing two horror-SF icons snarling defiance at one another. Which is to say, the film met my main expectation. I just hadn't expected it to be so stingy on all other counts.

Better than Van Helsing. Not as much fun as Hellboy. I give AvP two and a half falling fish out of five.

COUPLE OF LITTLE SPOILERS AND UNNECCESSARY ANALYSIS OF FILM COMING UP - SORRY

Well, trotted out with the rest of Stoke-on-Trent to see the latest piece of Hollywood nonsense to drift down to our cultural plankton level.

What did I think? Not too bad. Didn't disgrace either franchise terribly. Some evidence to suggest that someone somewhere along the line had thought about putting in a few knowing nods to 'the fans' - The appearance (albeit 'boiled shoe'-esque - wonderful simiile Dr X :laughing: ) of Henrikssen as Mr Weyland was enough to get me gibbering quietly, but then I'm sad like that.

I also took a sad pleasure in ticking off the creatively impotent set of vignettes which passed for character development - Henriksen's Terminal coughing disease (Ie, "I'm going to die"); the Italian guy's Lucky Bottle Cap (Ie, "I'm going to die") and Ewan Bremner... poor sod... First scene we see him - Look at this cute photo of my kids at home. D'oh! I'm surprised we didn't get an old cop who only has a week 'til he retires thrown in.

That last paragraph makes the film sound crap. In many ways, it was. However, it was the sort of joyous crap whcih one can genuinely enjoy. It wasn't crap in a Why have I paid to watch this?, Van Helsing kinda way.
No-one in years to come will judge this film on whether it had any artistic integrity or deep, significant impact on the human psyche. Here's the checklist it should be judged on-

1) Did stuff blow up?
By crikey, yes.
2) Were there Aliens in it?
Yup. Lots.
3) Did they muck about with/ ruin the Aliens?
Well, they speeded up the gestation period significantly, but I don't think the film would have stood being any longer.
4) Were there Predators in it?
Check.
5) Did they muck about with/ ruin the Predators?
Well, they looked the same, and their 'culture'/ background ("Duh... They hunt stuff, you know, like hunters") has always been fairly vague.
6) Were there moments of pure schoolboy glee as the two abovementioned beasties had fights?
Oh, yessums. :D
7) Was the place awash with fluorescent green/ acid blood?
Yup. Plenty of both.

So, based on this assessment, it was a super movie experience. Even my girlfriend liked it, and she's a girl (and she doesn't even read comics...)

And just how did it relate to the AvP comic book franchise?

I'm guessing not a lot, since it's set more or less present day, and that lot is set post Aliens.

anome said:
And just how did it relate to the AvP comic book franchise?

Ummm... It had Aliens and Predators in it... and did I mention things blow up?

Does this mean that, because I like Van Helsing, I won't like A-v-P?;)

AvP really is utter, utter bilge. There are a couple of Aliens in-jokes that may pique your interest, which take up approximately 1 second of screen time. The rest of it is astonishingly tedious and stupid and illogical.

And it's really, really badly-paced (and badly acted, and the special effects aren't all that good and it's so dark you can't tell what's going on most of the time). I mean, we all know what's going to happen in the film, there's this pyramid, and it's got aliens and predators in. We want to see them fight.

But no, a good chunk of movie is taken up with the characters wandering around the pyramid, wondering what it is, as if somehow the viewer will find this spooky. Look, we know what's going on, this is not scary or mysterious. There are Aliens! And Predators! Can they start fighting now please? And even if we didn't know, the characters find several hierogylphics and statues, all of which clearly say "there are some aliens and predators in this pyramid and they're going to kill you". Just get on with it!

And when they do turn up, the Predators are rubbish at fighting. They are the crappest Predators in the entire galaxy.

And did I mention it was stupid?

Not a patch on Resident Evil: Apocalypse, even.

Exactly, get the fighting started, for f***'s sake! And why oh why are the predator types so p*** weak? A pyramid for god's sake? Gee that makes a lot of sense...

*{'Splash wanders off muttering, wringing hands and head shaking and wanting the money back...}*

Edit: Obviously the earlier counselling didn't take, as it were...

For those expecting AvP to be a good film I have two words.

Paul Anderson.

They should be warning enough.

just got back from seeing it, ok, it's a dumb big vaguely scary film, but it's quite fun too if you've nothing much to do. The only thing is (without spoiling much, unless someone#s already said this somewhere on this thread earlier): towards the end one of the predators acts completely different to the predator of the original films, just totally out of charachter to those like ...

and they've put one of those irritating little bits on at the end that leaves it open for a sequel. Not wholly unexpected, or welcome

but it's quite fun too if you've nothing much to do

yeah, i caught it the other day... it's sort of amusing if you come at it with no real expectations... though quite a few things i had hopes for didn;t seem to go anywhere... the 'grid pattern head' alien i thought was going to be a 'character', but just gets thrown away... and the acid blood was a bit feeble too... not really convinved you could cut an aliens face off and not be drenched and dissolved in seconds!

best saved for a rainy day... when the only other thing left in the video shop is 5 copies of johnny mnemonic...

Back