• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Allo 'Allo Myth

I always thought he said 'klop'. If you'd've asked em as a kid, before I knew that 'klop' meant ditto, or that it could've been 'tler', I'd still have said klop. I just YT'd it and asked both Mrs Pluck and my son what he said, and they both said, 'klop'.

Sergeant_Pluck said:
I always thought he said 'klop'. If you'd've asked em as a kid, before I knew that 'klop' meant ditto, or that it could've been 'tler', I'd still have said klop. I just YT'd it and asked both Mrs Pluck and my son what he said, and they both said, 'klop'.

Klop is the word :yeay:

Don't know how I ended up on this 5 year old thread, but it got me thinking about the large number of Fortean-themed script elements that found their way into Allo Allo.

I can distinctly recall the following Macguffins:

Improbable/impossible coincidences
Urban (and rural) myths
Superstition
Doppelgängers
Fortune-telling
Psychic link between twins (OK, I know it wasn't really René's twin)
Ghosts
Séances
Hypnotism
Magic potion/miraculous serum
A timeslip forward to the present day

Maybe David Croft had an interest in Forteana? Back in Dad's Army, he would often have Fraser roll his eyes and tell a spooky story, or prophesy "we're all doomed, I tell ye!".

I think it's the link with the stage. Many of these devices feature in traditional plays.

I'm curious though:
"A timeslip forward to the present day"

I don't recall anything that answers this descriptions. To what are you referring?

It was that final episode, where we get to see all the characters in extreme old age and in the present (at the time of broadcasting) day - except for a curiously unchanged René - the gag being that Gorden Kaye was playing his own son.
OK, so not a truly Fortean timeslip, but still an interesting flash-forward and nice way to end an endearing series.

Ah, yes.

I have re-watched the first few series; the latter ones tail off in quality (as is ever the case) and I don't recall themy very well.

That's odd, I was thinking about Gorden Kaye the other day and how the role of Rene set him up for life, so that was what he was happy to do until he retired. Then I visit here and this thread has been revived.

But the "klop" myth has been laid to rest, no matter what YT says.

This reminded me - I asked a lip-reader what he says. She watched several clips of him and according to her, he says both 'tler and klop.

That puts a whole new spin on everything.

And, to zip back to the first page, the story about Allo Allo being translated and broadcast on German TV, and at the risk of sounding a bit Basil Fawlty..
Making 'Allo 'Allo! into Guten Tag

People here are not used to seeing comedy shows about the war. But von Bentheim believes 'Allo 'Allo! will have a positive effect on the German audience.

"I think for Germans it is very hard to laugh about the Second World War. It's obvious why, because we all feel as if we were the bad ones. ..
Well, I hate to point it out, but...

They are showing Secret Army again on tv, I suppose Allo Allo was a spin off if not
there must be some relationship somewhere.

I've read that 'Allo 'Allo was very much written as a humourous pastiche of Secret Army. At least the first series was, before it went off on one for the next 35 series or however many there were.

They are showing Secret Army again on tv, I suppose Allo Allo was a spin off if not
there must be some relationship somewhere.

I'd never seen Secret Army until it appeared on Youtube. I had no idea how close a parody 'Allo 'Allo was until I'd watched the first episode. A bit like whatever movie that Airplane! movie was based on.

This reminded me - I asked a lip-reader what he says. She watched several clips of him and according to her, he says both 'tler and klop.

That puts a whole new spin on everything.

After extensive research (I looked in the mirror) I can say 'tler looks like klop if you close your mouth immediately after the "er", as Sam Kelly was wont to do. So he was saying 'tler. As he said as much.

I watched that last episode - is the 'Allo 'Allo myth that it was a comedy?

As a pastiche of Secret Army the first couple of series were quite good, but it did go on a bit too long.

klopfen in German is 'Knock'.

If that helps. (Doubt it).

INT21

Just to return to the Fortean theme here, several scenes in Allo Allo (e.g. the German HQ) were filmed at Lynford Hall in Norfolk. Since the 16th century, the site has been a farmhouse, grace and favour mansion, fire-damaged derelict, WW2 hospital and, most recently, a hotel and country club. According to Pinterest it is in the top 100 haunted UK hotels.
Wonder if the remaining cast have any spooky tales to tell of their time filming there?

Last edited:
This is crazy! We've been watching "Allo Allo" on Netflix and I Googled "Klop" to see why the captain kept saying that instead of "Heil Hitler." I stumbled onto this 11-YEAR THREAD (!!!!!), which was absolutely fascinating. I'm still in the "Klop" camp, but will keep an open mind and ear when next viewing Allo. Thanks for the entertaining repartee!

I still think it's definitely "Tler!"

As an English speaker, I naturally struggle to pronounce a word beginning with "TL" - not sure there are many, if any at all, of these in Western European languages. Saying "Tler" out loud to myself just now (don't worry, I'm alone in the house!), it comes out sounding more like "Kler", and if I say it really quickly, the end of the syllable comes out as a sort of strangled cluck, almost a "P".

So that's my continued belief. Sam Kelly's character, Geering, is intending to parrot his superior's "Heil Hitler", but in his haste to say it (possible to try not to draw attention to himself by speaking for too long), he ends up with one rushed syllable which is almost indistinguishable from "Klop".

Then again, maybe he'd had a vision of the future, and became a big fan of Liverpool FC's current manager.

The automatic Closed Caption system at Youtube tries to interpret Hans Geering's Heil Hitler as CLUB, in this episode at 16:01.

Well, the "U" in "club" would be pronounced the same as the "E" in "tler", so you can't claim more than 75% on that evidence!

I am watching it right now on Netflix. He most certainly does say Clop. Even the closed captioning says clop. He’s said it several episodes.

Back