• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Allo 'Allo Myth

It's not on Britbox I believe but it is available through Amazon Prime.
2fb1f0ff1589fb03ffa4814f3aef0929.jpg

I haven't seen it since I was a child but I used to find the postman who always said "good mooorning" hilarious. I'm not sure what that says about me :p
View attachment 62879
Ah indood. Iffocer Crobtree was definotely the bust thong in "Allo Allo". I beloove he was poloocemin not a pistman though.

And he said 'Good Moaning' as he pissed through the door.
I think the first couple of seasons were among the best comedy ever. Like virtually every show they did fall off later. That's not a criticism.

These shows were popular with the people who'd lived the experience, I think. My mum and dad loved things like this - they'd lived through the war, so Allo Allo they adored because it poked fun at the Nazis and other things that had terrified them in their youth. My dad did National Service in Burma, so Ain't Half Hot Mum reflected a lot of his experiences and even I remember the old days of department stores like Grace Brothers in Are You Being Served.

In her last years, with dementia, my mum would still watch Dads Army and laugh. Shows that parodied long gone experiences, much, I suppose, as many of us enjoyed Stranger Things for the glimpses back at our youth (although not the monsters, hopefully).

I remember being impressed by the genius concept. Of course, it's in France, they are all speaking French, we are hearing Officer Crabtree speaking very bad French.

I remember being impressed by the genius concept. Of course, it's in France, they are all speaking French, we are hearing Officer Crabtree speaking very bad French.
It was all very clever and very, very funny. I used to love the way Michelle of Zer Resistance spoke in 'Clouseau French' to the other French characters but switched to clipped 'what ho chaps' upper class English when she was talking to the British Airmen. Made me laugh every time. Such simple conceits but brilliantly done.

I will repeat what I've said elsewhere:

Enjoyable though it is as a standalone series, you have to go and watch Secret Army to appreciate what a fiendishly good parody it is—right down to costumes and sets in places.

That series is superlatively good anyway.

Anyone who sits through the knife-edge tension and grim betrayals it depicts so well and reacts 'You know, this'd make a cracking comedy!' must have the deepest of instincts for his craft.

Edit:

Last edited:
Are you sure that you aren't only going to say zis once?
How clever were they with that? Making a catchphrase out of a character saying they were going to say it only once? Very meta. But it never got old because every repetition made it more absurd. So bloody clever!

These shows were popular with the people who'd lived the experience, I think. My mum and dad loved things like this - they'd lived through the war, so Allo Allo they adored because it poked fun at the Nazis and other things that had terrified them in their youth. My dad did National Service in Burma, so Ain't Half Hot Mum reflected a lot of his experiences and even I remember the old days of department stores like Grace Brothers in Are You Being Served.
The paternal grandparents met and lived in India in the late 1920's and early 1930's and though IAAHM was spot on, as much for the idiot officers as the RSM.

And the one they will never show in today's hideously over-sensitive climate is another David Croft comedy "It Ain't Half Hot Mum", brilliant though it was!
It's actually being rescreened now on one of the nostalgia channels lower down Freeview. (number 65, "That's TV")
Although I still think it'll be a cold day in Hell before we see Love Thy Neighbour on TV again (could be wrong)

I never really got 'into' 'Allo, Allo. It all seemed so silly to me and while I understand 'catchphrase humour' it didn't make me laugh much because it seemed clumsily done and a 'filler'. Each to their own.
On the other hand ...
Enjoyable though it is as a standalone series, you have to go and watch Secret Army to appreciate what a fiendishly good parody it is—right down to costumes and sets in places.
I love Secret Army - I have the DVD boxed set.
That said, while the time period is the same, it's certainly not a comedy series.

It's actually being rescreened now on one of the nostalgia channels lower down Freeview. (number 65, "That's TV")
Although I still think it'll be a cold day in Hell before we see Love Thy Neighbour on TV again (could be wrong)
They're showing Till Death US Do Part too (though bleeped here and there).

I never really got 'into' 'Allo, Allo. It all seemed so silly to me and while I understand 'catchphrase humour' it didn't make me laugh much because it seemed clumsily done and a 'filler'. Each to their own.
On the other hand ...

I love Secret Army - I have the DVD boxed set.
That said, while the time period is the same, it's certainly not a comedy series.
I think Yith meant that you have to watch Secret Army to appreciate what a good parody of it Allo Allo is.

Secret Army was never conceived as a comedy.

Back