• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Almost travelling - moving to the UK for work and need help with their tax!!

Forejusel

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hi!

I'm going to be uprooting my family from here in Ohio to Oxford, UK. I've been told I'm going to be paid £38,000 per year before taxes. What are your taxes like across the pond?

I've had a look around this UK income tax calculator - does it look about right? It says I'll get £2,400 a month which seems like enough to live in Oxfordshire so I can commute to where I will be working (living in Oxford will be too expensive I think)

Thanks!

Seems about right. You may get certain deductibles based on your job in addition. What you will notice about tax over here is that most of it is source deducted, or in the case of goods and services included in the cost: the price label on the shelf is what you'll pay at the checkout, no sales taxes etc added at the end. Also property tax is Council tax, a set charge paid monthly that pays for local services.

Oxford's lovely by the way :).

Just out of interest will you be renting a family home or do you have enough resources to buy somewhere outright?

Rents are ridiculously expensive in both Oxford and Cambridge but also in the surrounding villages. For example a 3 bed house in Kidlington about 3 KMs outside Oxford is currently being advertised at GBP 1,500 per month before bills

https://www.openrent.co.uk/property.../3-bed-detached-house-aysgarth-road-ox5/51238

I live in Kiev, Ukraine now but I am from Cambridge and have many friends in Oxford hence my opinion

On the subject of tax it will all be deducted at source from your wages, there is 20% VAT in the UK but this is included in the price. of what you buy.

Best of Luck with your move,

Back