• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Alternative Medicine: Chiropractic

So (on a quick Google) apparently we're not sure anymore about the added risk of stroke, but there is a higher incidence in artery-dissection strokes with people who do see a chiropractor vs. those who don't, combined with a greater risk for this in young people who see them (which is not something that's likely for younger people).
Still, couldn't pay me to see one. With the history of a certain organization in this country and their association with chiropractors, I couldn't be sure they didn't have ulterior motives.

So (on a quick Google) apparently we're not sure anymore about the added risk of stroke, but there is a higher incidence in artery-dissection strokes with people who do see a chiropractor vs. those who don't, combined with a greater risk for this in young people who see them (which is not something that's likely for younger people). ...

Speaking of artery dissection and younger folks' risk levels ...
Woman paralyzed and in ICU after a chiropractic visit

A recent college graduate from Georgia is paralyzed and in intensive care after a chiropractic adjustment.

Caitlin Jensen’s brother, Caleb Johnson, said June 16 is a day the family won’t forget.

Jensen’s family said she visited a chiropractor for an adjustment and left with four dissected arteries.

“She’s able to open her eyes every now and then and wake up a little bit and kind of move her hands to squeeze a little -- but that’s it,” Johnson explained. ...

After a stroke, cardiac arrest and a loss of pulse for 10 minutes, her family said doctors at Memorial Health revived and stabilized Jensen. ...

According to chiropractor, Dr. Steve Ranicki, Jensen’s condition is incredibly rare. ...

“Those dissections will often produce symptoms of headache and neck pain, which then typically drive people to a doctor’s office,” Ranicki said. “Once they’ve gone to the medical doctor or chiropractor the likelihood is, unfortunately, a stroke will occur.”

Ranicki said sometimes something as simple as going to a hair salon and having your neck tilted back in the bowl for an extended period of time can trigger a stroke if you have dissections. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.knoe.com/2022/07/12/woman-paralyzed-icu-after-chiropractic-visit/

Unfortunately Physiotherapists feel threatened because Chiropractic is more effective, thus they are blocking advances purely out of self interest. Having used both in the past, give me a chiropractor any day.
H PV - and welcome to the forum.

Could you share with us why you think chiro does a good job? Thx.

Unfortunately Physiotherapists feel threatened because Chiropractic is more effective, thus they are blocking advances purely out of self interest. Having used both in the past, give me a chiropractor any day.

This is a common argument among supporters of alternative medecines. Unfortunately, it is unfair to the vast majority of physicians, who swore to protect and heal their patients (the hippocratic oath), and who underwent strenuous ordeals in order to become doctors. These people are usually not primarily driven by "self interest".

I have several doctors in my family (who, by the way, advised me strongly not to follow in their footsteps if I wanted to live a happy life) and sincerely, they never ever think in terms of "business" & money making. It's simply not their motivation. So I really doubt "self-interest" is at the core of their hostility towards alternative health practices.

And actually, lots of medics are not hostile at all to alternative practices when they witness positive results.

Out of curiosity, I studied traditional Chinese medecine (acupuncture & "tuina" [therapeutic massage]) for about 5 years in my home country (France), where it is not recognized as a true "medecine". Several of our teachers were also practitioners who got most of their patients through "word of mouth". Most of the time, these patients were recommanded to my teachers by standard physicians, who admitted they could not help them, or who nonetheless saw an interest in sending their patients to an acupunctor as a complement to their standard "western" treatment. The same is true for osteopaths and many other alternative health practitioners.

It is true that some physicians do adopt a very aggressive stance towards alternative medecines. But I think this has more to do with science than self-interest.

Modern medecine is based upon the scientific method. It relies on tested hypotheses as a means to reach knowledge, even though the level of understanding we reach is never complete, and may be replaced by another theory later on.

Unfortunately, most scientific studies are nowadays found lacking when considering the efficiency of alternative medecines. On the other hand, some risks of these medecines are well identified (although rare), such as artery dissection with chiropraxy or osteopathy, or lung perforation with acupuncture, and so on. So I believe most medics who advocate the eradication of these approaches are mainly motivated by a cost versus benefit analysis. They don't see any theoretical soundness in these therapies, but they see how they could harm. And they see as well that quite often, practitioners of these medecines are not professional doctors. So of course, they are scared ... but for their patients ! Especially since charlatans do abound, and unlike doctors, these are often clearly driven by self-interest.

A pinch of "quantum physics", a pinch of "Tesla", a pinch of Mother nature and its wonderful herbs, who never do harm (as we know from nightshade and oleander), and you've got a miracle cure worth a million dollars. Charlatans are a huge nuisance. So, let's understand why some doctors get epidermic when they hear of "alternative medecines" ...

If applied more systematically, the scientific method could bridge the gap between efficient alternative medecines and standard western medecine. There's still a long way to go however, because it is difficult to scientifically assess most alternative medecines. It requires people fluent in both "languages".

For instance, if you want to measure the efficiency of Chinese medecine against "common cold", you have to first translate the notion of "common cold" into Chinese medecine because the Chinese do not classify illnesses as we do. Under what we call common cold, they might distinguish several different illnesses, and treat them accordingly, with different approaches : in Chinese terms, would it be a "cold wind" or a "hot wind". Treating a "cold wind" as a "hot wind" won't work. It may event get you worse. So if you want to assess the efficiency of the Chinese treatment, you have to assess it against the Chinese diagnosis, not the Western one. Nobody does this effort. That's why most current studies about Chinese Traditional Medecine are flawed.

I guess we face this issue with most alternative / traditional medecines. But we never end to learn about the human body & medecine. Old remedies are suddenly found to be beneficial. And actually, scores of pharmacists explore the rainforests of the globe, interviewing shamans and local healers, to identify new molecules for drugs. Forgotten medecines become fashionable again (bacteriophages are making their come-back now that we face higher resistance to antibiotics). So the end chapter of the story of medecine(s) hasn't been written yet.

All good willed practitioners, from all disciplines, should work together for the sake of progress ... But that means accepting a common ground, and this ground is the scientific method.

I used to go to a chiropractor that only used a device he called an activator. He never cracked any bone, just addressed the muscles around the bones. I went to him for quite a while, then I moved to a different state and could not find a chiropractor that wasn't a bone cracker or a charlatan. Someone recommeded a yoga class and I have not needed any help with my back since.

in the 80's when my aunt had cancer, she went to the doctor with pain in her neck. He knew she had bone cancer but claimed she was in remission. He did some xrays and then read someone else's xrays and told her she was fine. She still had pain and her stupid friend insisted on taking her to her chiropractor. That chiropractor was as stupid as my aunt's friend. Knowing my aunt's history she decided she was going to cure everything by cracking the bones in her neck. My cousin was there luckily and when my aunt screamed from the chiropractor breaking her neck my cousin ran in and made the chiropractor leave and called an ambulance. That stupid woman showed up at my aunt's hospital bed insisting the she would be fine if she just let her finish the treatment. My cousin called security and told them to never let that woman near my aunt. Luckily it did not kill her but my aunt was in excruciating pain for a long time. Her husband sued the doctor that misrad the xray and the chiropractor.

Common sense would have been for the chirorpractor to ask for the xrays or do her own to be sure before she even touched my aunt.

I find it so sad that science set itself up as judge and jury.
Someone I knew was doing yard work and did something to his back, he was in great pain and one leg was shorter than the other.
Being in his late forties, he went to two different doctors, who both advised serious back surgery, whereupon he would be out of work for at least a year while healing.
He was advised to see a chiropractor by a friend, this man held out little hope for such a serious condition but decided to see him as a last ditch alternative.
The chiropractor put him face down on a table and after examining the situation, he pulled one arm and the opposite leg, and also the other arm and opposing leg.
This man got up off the table and was fine.
I'm supposing that this chiropractor understood the muscular / skeletal system and how things slip out of place occasionally. And it mystifies me that the medical profession does not always recognize these methods.

Someone I knew was doing yard work and did something to his back, he was in great pain and one leg was shorter than the other.
Being in his late forties, he went to two different doctors, who both advised serious back surgery, whereupon he would be out of work for at least a year while healing.
He was advised to see a chiropractor by a friend, this man held out little hope for such a serious condition but decided to see him as a last ditch alternative.
The chiropractor put him face down on a table and after examining the situation, he pulled one arm and the opposite leg, and also the other arm and opposing leg.
I'm supposing that this chiropractor understood the muscular / skeletal system and how things slip out of place occasionally. And it mystifies me that the medical profession does not always recognize these methods.
They do; it's called 'osteopathy'.

Good chiropractors are trained in anatomy and the muscular as well as skeletal sysstem. It is not all bone cracking and the ones that avoid that are helpful. It's like going to a counselor, one will ask you questions and give you advice, then expect you to do some work; the other will insiste you come and talk about your parents every week for the rest of your life. One wants to help, the other wants money for nothing. Chiropractors are the same way. Some want to help and know a lot about the body, others just crack your spine and charge you for it, sometimes causing worse damage.

They do; it's called 'osteopathy'.
Yes, but the reason I said that the medical professional does not always recognize these methods is that this man was told by doctors that surgery was the only solution. And back surgery is extremely serious.

Yes, but the reason I said that the medical professional does not always recognize these methods is that this man was told by doctors that surgery was the only solution. And back surgery is extremely serious.
If a doctor told me I need back surgery I would consult a reputable chiropractor first, unless it was due to a traumatic injury that broke bones in my spine. I don't trust allopathic doctors any further than I can throw them. If there were such thing as osteopathic doctors in this town those are the ones I would go see. As it is I rarely go to a doctor. I am lucky, my ailments are common and easily remedied without consulting a doctor. And my back problems are fixed with yoga becuase it was all muscular issues.

Back