• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Alternative Medicine: Osteopathy

gyrtrash

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Anyone know any effective alternative treatments for sciatica?
I don't think sitting on my arse for two weeks has done me any favours!

Last edited by a moderator:
I get sciatica, particularly this time of year - TBH the best thing I've found is just to sleep flat on the floor (one of those styrofoam camping sleep-mats is helpful). It's standing up again without a block and tackle that's the sod :).

My mate drinks olive oil for gallstones, but since he started doing so (about a year ago) he hasn't had a single sciatic attack. Dunno if it's linked to the gallstones in some way or not.

David Raven said:
Anyone know any effective alternative treatments for sciatica?
I don't think sitting on my arse for two weeks has done me any favours!
Yes, a good osteopath. I started having pain in my hips, turned out it could be remedied by a simple exercise designed to straighten my knees (and a fair bit of rather sore deep massage, but it was well worth it). I'm sure they can do even more miraculous things for sciatica, which is I believe a trapped nerve (?) One or two sessions would sort that out surely.

I've had some improvement in symptoms since I started getting osteopathic treatment. I now no longer go blind during migraines, but get the colours again. They also aren't as severe when they develop, but I seem to be having a cluster of 'near misses' (anyone who has migraine will know the feeling)...

Hugo Cornwall said:
I've had some improvement in symptoms since I started getting osteopathic treatment. I now no longer go blind during migraines, but get the colours again. They also aren't as severe when they develop, but I seem to be having a cluster of 'near misses' (anyone who has migraine will know the feeling)...

Yep, I had cranial osteopathy a couple of years ago when I was having pretty much weekly migraines, and they just disappeared after treatment. In the last year or so they've been creeping back in so I might go again and do recommend it for sufferers.

Near-misses aren't fun either :cross eye .

I saw an osteopath recently for a spasming scalene shoulder muscle (painful as ****!), and he was a great help. I did ask what the difference was between an osteopath and chiropractor, and he said that as much as anything it was a 'philosophical' difference. But one does have to sign a form which lists all manner of potential side effects ...

Back