Alternatives To Coffee, Tea & Alcohol

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Please and not those weak herby infused teabags that have straw and flowers in the them.

Need alternatives to alcohol that are not full of carbs or sugar.

Need alternatives to caffeinated drinks as well as I'm sensitive to caffeine. Are there nice alternatives that are not "decaf"?

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
If I'm driving, I have pink tonic; true, it has a hint of alcohol from the bitters. Don't stint on the accoutrements: the ice and lemon will make it nearly a real drink. :)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Please and not those weak herby infused teabags that have straw and flowers in the them.

Need alternatives to alcohol that are not full of carbs or sugar.

Need alternatives to caffeinated drinks as well as I'm sensitive to caffeine. Are there nice alternatives that are not "decaf"?
You might be looking for the impossible.
Alternative to coffee? Camp Coffee:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Coffee
It does have sugar in it, though.

Alternatives to caffeinated drinks...lime cordial, cherry cordial...fruit juice...they're all a bit sweet, though.

Alternatives to alcohol that are not full of carbs or sugar...I'm not sure that such a beast exists. You could try alcohol-free wine, but yes - it has some sugar in it.

Last edited:

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
There is a chicory powder/granule alternative to coffee. Much the same as Camp coffee, I think. Holland & Barrett do a version.

Teapigs do an excellent peppermint tea. Or you could try matcha tea, it does have caffeine but less than regular tea or coffee

It's difficult because the alternatives are herbs, flowers, water, and fruit juice. And milk!

My favourite alternative to wine is elderflower cordial and instead of coffee I have peppermint tea (from Teapigs, obviously).

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
Redbush/rooibos tea works well for me - it has proper body to it, it's not your average insipid infusion. If you can find it, honeybush tea is a slightly sweeter and more fragrant variety.

Decaff tea is an abomination, and its inventor should be drowned in the stuff. I've been known to brew decaff coffee, though. I've even gone on to drink it, on occasion.

I used to drink coke and blackcurrant in pubs if I was driving - tastes like liquid blackcurrant and liquorice sweets. Doesn't really answer the non-caffeinated carb-free requirement, though. These days - sparkling water hits the spot for me.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Redbush/rooibos tea works well for me - it has proper body to it, it's not your average insipid infusion. If you can find it, honeybush tea is a slightly sweeter and more fragrant variety.

Decaff tea is an abomination, and its inventor should be drowned in the stuff. I've been known to brew decaff coffee, though. I've even gone on to drink it, on occasion.

I used to drink coke and blackcurrant in pubs if I was driving - tastes like liquid blackcurrant and liquorice sweets. Doesn't really answer the non-caffeinated carb-free requirement, though. These days - sparkling water hits the spot for me.
What's the redbush taste like Krep?

Anonymous-50446

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
There is a lemon tea that is stunning.Twining's Lemon Trio, lemon grass, lemon peel, verbena. It's not a "weak herby infused teabags that have straw and flowers" by any means.

There's a lot to be said for a beef stock cube and hot water.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
I hate caffeine, sensitive to it, so i drink either Tetleys Redbush or Tick Tock, both available from Asda. I am drinking a mug of it now. Its just like a normal tea, no flowery rubbish or sweetness, if there was i wouldnt touch it with a barge pole

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Camp Coffee is one of the foulest things I've ever tasted.
Tried acorn 'coffee'?

My father made loads of the stuff when he was on a 'food for free' kick back in the 80s.
And then a day or two later he poured most of it away along with the nettle soup.

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
As an escape from caffine and/or alcohol, go San Pellegrino. The nicest, freshest, best, carbonated juice, ever. A downside is it's price, if bought as single cans. Some suppliers such as Cafes Richard / Syrups and Stuff will sell it by the case (including mixtures of different flavours) at around £17 for a case of 24....yes, about half the price you might be hit by for a single can, some places. It's also available now from the likes of Asda, but has taken a while....

San Pellegrino's site

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
As an escape from caffine and/or alcohol, go San Pellegrino. The nicest, freshest, best, carbonated juice, ever. A downside is it's price, if bought as single cans. Some suppliers such as Cafes Richard / Syrups and Stuff will sell it by the case (including mixtures of different flavours) at around £17 for a case of 24....yes, about half the price you might be hit by for a single can, some places. It's also available now from the likes of Asda, but has taken a while....

San Pellegrino's site
I second that.
THE BEST fizzy drinks on the planet.

That link doesn't work. Try this:
https://www.sanpellegrinofruitbeverages.com/uk/en/

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting

Just drinking this now. I actually quite like it. Thanks Krep.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I regularly come home with a sore throat after teaching several classes consecutively and I've started simply pouring a mug of boiling water over two tablespoons of good quality honey (and dissolving it thoroughly).

I have no idea whether the effect is psychosomatic, but it makes me feel a lot better in general: head and sinuses clearer, sore throat soothed and a little pick-me-up from the sugars.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Yerba mate

Yerba mate is a traditional South American drink that's gaining worldwide popularity.

It's said to have the strength of coffee, the health benefits of tea, and the joy of chocolate.
Supposed to be very healthy! I tried it in teabags. It's not bitter like non-tea teas are AND it has caffeine.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
I regularly come home with a sore throat after teaching several classes consecutively and I've started simply pouring a mug of boiling water over two tablespoons of good quality honey (and dissolving it thoroughly).

I have no idea whether the effect is psychosomatic, but it makes me feel a lot better in general: head and sinuses clearer, sore throat soothed and a little pick-me-up from the sugars.
It's not your imagination ...

Honey has long been known to alleviate throat irritation and coughs from upper respiratory infections or stress.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member