Alternatives To Coffee, Tea & Alcohol

James_H

And I like to roam the land
I regularly come home with a sore throat after teaching several classes consecutively and I've started simply pouring a mug of boiling water over two tablespoons of good quality honey (and dissolving it thoroughly).

I have no idea whether the effect is psychosomatic, but it makes me feel a lot better in general: head and sinuses clearer, sore throat soothed and a little pick-me-up from the sugars.
Singers do this. Also can't go wrong with boiling ginger and honey in water.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Yep. When my voice goes from too many shows in a row then it's ridiculous amounts of honey and hot water (sometimes with ginger).
I once read a website of tour riders from musicians and a brand of teas called 'throat coat' is also wildly popular.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Slippery Elm rang a bell with me, from way-back.

My father had a duodenal ulcer, which dictated a very bland diet. The family shared it - rice puddings every day, it seemed.

The Slippery Elm Food resided in the bathroom cabinet. I don't know how it was prepared or ingested but packs or tins of it were renewed at intervals, so it was actively used as a demulcent for the ulcer. :buck:

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
That's a new one on me: my jaw dropped when I read it.

In response to the OP thread-root.....there are a few amazing drinks I shall additionally commend to my fellow prisoners....

San Pell Essenza

Pimms No1 Cup (either mixed with tonic water, or lemonade, or ready-mixed)

And finally......

I need to at long-last ask the question that's been bugging me for at least six months, and since well-before The Present Global Panicdemic: what the hell has happened to Pepsi Max Ginger? It's disappeared completely, and the stuff is bloody brilliant. I can only (of course) presume conspiracy.....they make a soft drink that's just too good, so maybe they stop making it.

Perhaps it sells immediately it hits the shelves? Or is it being stolen prior to sale....an almost-mythical commodity, like toilet roll (circa March 2020)

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I need to at long-last ask the question that's been bugging me for at least six months, and since well-before The Present Global Panicdemic: what the hell has happened to Pepsi Max Ginger? It's disappeared completely, and the stuff is bloody brilliant. I can only (of course) presume conspiracy.....they make a soft drink that's just too good, so maybe they stop making it.

Perhaps it sells immediately it hits the shelves? Or is it being stolen prior to sale....an almost-mythical commodity, like toilet roll (circa March 2020)
I have noticed this kind of thing happening for a long while now. It's a bugbear of mine.
Anything that is really good eventually disappears from sale, never to be seen again.
I think the lizard creatures that own this continuum take it all for themselves and they shut down production. They even wipe the memories of everyone who has tried these products. Be careful, because you remember these things. They may come for you.

Ringo

Of no preferred gender pronoun.

Never heard of it although recently I have started to see Coca Cola Zero with Raspberry, Lemon or Peach flavour. They didn't exist 6 months ago. My favourite has always been Vanilla Coke but they only do that in regular - not zero.

Pepsi Max Ginger sounds good though. I do like a good Ginger Beer or Ale.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
I liked the fake mojito that McDonalds did a while ago, fresh mint, fresh lime and lemons, ice and lemonade, very nice and refreshing

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Strong hibiscus tea - not in bags, but whole or crushed dried hibiscus flowers, steeped in boiling water then cooled, is a deep ruby red, lowers blood pressure and is very tart/tangy. AKA Karkade or Roselle flowers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibiscus_tea

I make a big jug of it every week, chill it down and have a glass whenever. It makes you pee!! [hence the hypotensive effect] Also full of anthocyanins, the purple-red chemical found in berries and fruits.

[Photo: Teapot with hibiscus tea by Marco Verch under Creative Commons 2.0 ]

Fizzy water, with fresh lime or lemon juice is another tart refresher, nice alternative to cocktails.

Salt or Sweet Lassi is a nice alternative to milkshakes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lassi

Last edited: