• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Am I Going A Bit Strange?

Trish71

Devoted Cultist
Hi everyone! Something a bit weird happened to me just a few moments ago and I thought I'd mention it here in the hope that someone else has experienced something similar.

I had just started watching a film, (Mara), and as the opening credits started my brother rang. Upon answering the call, I paused and MUTED the film and had a conversation. When the call was over I unpaused the film and started watching the opening scene where a little girl walks down a corridor towards another room with noises in. I definitely heard the sound of the noises (banging, etc), but when the door is opened I couldn't hear the actors speaking and I realised the sound was still muted!

So HOW did I hear the sounds of banging???

I know there's probably a sound explanation of why I heard sounds that weren't there but right now, at this moment, I'm engulfed in feelings of weirdness!

When l live pause my telly, after a set period the sound bar switches off automatically, silencing my setup.

l‘ve never checked, but it might well be the case that, once the action is resumed, the sound bar switches back on again, also automatically.

Could it be that you subconsciously realised that the telly was muted and turned the sound on again reflexively? Either ambient sound or your imagination could have provided the “banging” noises.

maximus otter

Hi everyone! Something a bit weird happened to me just a few moments ago and I thought I'd mention it here in the hope that someone else has experienced something similar.

I had just started watching a film, (Mara), and as the opening credits started my brother rang. Upon answering the call, I paused and MUTED the film and had a conversation. When the call was over I unpaused the film and started watching the opening scene where a little girl walks down a corridor towards another room with noises in. I definitely heard the sound of the noises (banging, etc), but when the door is opened I couldn't hear the actors speaking and I realised the sound was still muted!

I know there's probably a sound explanation of why I heard sounds that weren't there but right now, at this moment, I'm engulfed in feelings of weirdness!

Have you ever watched the film before?

And, if so, how many times?

When l live pause my telly, after a set period the sound bar switches off automatically, silencing my setup.

l‘ve never checked, but it might well be the case that, once the action is resumed, the sound bar switches back on again, also automatically.

Could it be that you subconsciously realised that the telly was muted and turned the sound on again reflexively? Either ambient sound or your imagination could have provided the “banging” noises.

maximus otter
Thanks for replying. I can say wholeheartedly that it was definitely muted and I agree that my brain filled in the blanks. Thanks for the freak out brain!

Very curious. I suppose you rewound the film and replayed it to verify there were in fact sounds coming from the room? If so, did they sound exactly the same as what you initially heard?

Very curious. I suppose you rewound the film and replayed it to verify there were in fact sounds coming from the room? If so, did they sound exactly the same as what you initially heard?
Hi Kate, I was watching the opening scenes when I paused and muted it and after realising it was still muted I did rewind and watch it again. There were definitely sounds present and I originally only realised there wasn't any sound till the actors started to speak! (Tbh, the film was not that good!)

Hi that's a possibility but I'm 99% certain that the controls were on the coffee table.

If it helps, I was once out walking my dog and my mind had wandered off... then I came to and realised my dog was way over by where the rail track is and I could hear a train coming. I panicked and went running towards my dog, shouting him.

Quickly realised however that I couldn't have heard a train because the line was discontinued decades ago. And also, the train I heard was a steam engine...

Yeah, mind filling in blanks, freaky isn't it???

I know there's probably a sound explanation

The suggestion that you may have a "sound reinforcement bar" could explain this (ie a piece of purchased technology in addition to your TV monitor screen that produces audio).

In fact- do you possess something even more complex than this in your living room, such as a posh surround sound 5.1/8.1 speaker system?

This could specifically-explain why you were hearing just certain elements of the movie/film soundtrack (ie bangs and 'ambient' effects) after unpausing it.

In a surround sound system, a miniature version of a movie theater/ cinema sound stage is recreated, with deep/low frequency audio being generated via a larger floor-associated 'woofer'. The surround sound audio system then takes the seperate audio tracks from the programme source (eg DVD or BluRay disk video, or conceivably also from online streamed content....I'm unsure of that) and plays them via the seperate audio channel routes in your living-room.

So....
  • Was this a DVD/other video disk that was being played?
  • Do you have additional audio speakers in the room? Size of bread-bins, smaller ones like robotic mushrooms
  • Might you have a "sound bar"? Looks like a cross between a techno draught excluder and a giant Toblerone chocolate bar. Sits below anorexic TV monitor screens, to compensate for their audio incapabilities.
Any of this could easily explain how you were 'haunted' by some sounds, from an incompletely-muted movie.

Annoyingly....I'd prefer a non-technical reason. Tell me you've none of the above.

No you're not going A Bit Strange. Damn tricky stuff this technology weirdness. Defeats me all the time.

Technology, eh.

A few years ago we used to have the early morning TV news on with the sound off and R4 on, putting the TV sound on when something interesting came on.

Sometimes I'd forget which sound was on, as when a view of Buckingham Palace was shown to a radio report about a vast new cattle shed that was controversial because the poor animals would never see real daylight...
Took me a few seconds!

If it helps, I was once out walking my dog and my mind had wandered off... then I came to and realised my dog was way over by where the rail track is and I could hear a train coming. I panicked and went running towards my dog, shouting him.

Quickly realised however that I couldn't have heard a train because the line was discontinued decades ago. And also, the train I heard was a steam engine...

Yeah, mind filling in blanks, freaky isn't it???
Totally freaky! I think we must underestimate our subconscious abilities! I wonder why you "heard" a steam train though? Very odd indeed!

The suggestion that you may have a "sound reinforcement bar" could explain this (ie a piece of purchased technology in addition to your TV monitor screen that produces audio).

In fact- do you possess something even more complex than this in your living room, such as a posh surround sound 5.1/8.1 speaker system?

This could specifically-explain why you were hearing just certain elements of the movie/film soundtrack (ie bangs and 'ambient' effects) after unpausing it.

In a surround sound system, a miniature version of a movie theater/ cinema sound stage is recreated, with deep/low frequency audio being generated via a larger floor-associated 'woofer'. The surround sound audio system then takes the seperate audio tracks from the programme source (eg DVD or BluRay disk video, or conceivably also from online streamed content....I'm unsure of that) and plays them via the seperate audio channel routes in your living-room.

So....
  • Was this a DVD/other video disk that was being played?
  • Do you have additional audio speakers in the room? Size of bread-bins, smaller ones like robotic mushrooms
  • Might you have a "sound bar"? Looks like a cross between a techno draught excluder and a giant Toblerone chocolate bar. Sits below anorexic TV monitor screens, to compensate for their audio incapabilities.
Any of this could easily explain how you were 'haunted' by some sounds, from an incompletely-muted movie.

Annoyingly....I'd prefer a non-technical reason. Tell me you've none of the above.
The fact that I haven't a single clue what most of the teccy stuff you mentioned is has made me feel so so very old haha! The audio visual equipment I have is a tv (no soundbar) and a virgin box!

Something else that happened to me a few years ago still freaks me out so much I often stop myself remembering it. Before I start, I'd like to state that this really happened, I didn't imagine it and I can't find ANY logical explanation.
Roughly 4 or 5 years ago, I had a tv in the lounge with a generic freeview box plugged in. Annoyingly the tv guide sometimes used to freeze and it be be stuck on advertising programmes that had been on hours ago. One night about 11pm I clicked on to the guide only to find it had frozen on advertising programmes that were on at 10pm. What freaked me out and had me noping out and going to bed rapid was that the tv was showing programmes that coul not have been on. I remember feeling puzzled because the 10 o'clock news was on and when I went through other channels the programmes that were on were those that were on at 10. I double checked the time (11pm), I unplugged the tv and switched it back on and it still showed programmes that shouldn't have been on! There was no reason for programmes to have been rescheduled, clicks hadn't gone back/forward and it scared me to my core! I couldn't cope in the end with all the weirdness and just went to bed. No one ever believed me but I swear on my soul that this really did happen. These days I'm inclined to put it down to a simple glitch in the matrix.

maximus otter
I think that I siimply imagined the sounds because it was definitely still muted.

Last edited:

Something else that happened to me a few years ago still freaks me out so much I often stop myself remembering it. Before I start, I'd like to state that this really happened, I didn't imagine it and I can't find ANY logical explanation.
Roughly 4 or 5 years ago, I had a tv in the lounge with a generic freeview box plugged in. Annoyingly the tv guide sometimes used to freeze and it be be stuck on advertising programmes that had been on hours ago. One night about 11pm I clicked on to the guide only to find it had frozen on advertising programmes that were on at 10pm. What freaked me out and had me noping out and going to bed rapid was t
Was the control in your hand or next to your hip? The simplest explanation is that you accidentally pressed mute again without realising you'd done so.
Hi Gattino, the controls were on the coffee table, of thst I'm absolutely sure.

I think that the reason you heard banging is because it was coming from inside your house

Great, she is probably hiding under the sofa now

Could be that your mind filled in the noises, then it clicked that there was none there when you were jolted back to reality?

Fascinating stuff! I checked out that link and watched the attached GIFs with a degree of scepticism and - but yes- with many of them I felt I could `hear` something. Well, it's not exactly `hear` - it's more as if your brain in filling in a sense of the missing sounds - and it's very hard to convince yourself that the GIFs are entirely silent, even though you know that it is only you who is doing it. The last GIF - the banging fist and clap - `sounded` much like the opening to `We Will Rock You`.

So yes, if you were distracted I can easily believe that you could think that you are hearing sounds from a silent TV.

@James_H I can hear two of those images, barely, but i can feel the vibration more, it just seems to be the skipping pylons and Bam Bam

I honestly hear nothing. Maybe I'm even more weird than I thought...

When I watch them there is a sound track that is obviously in my head, and there is a slight component of imagined tactile sense (the ground shaking as Totoro jumps up and down) as well. But these sensations are obviously inside my head, and rather faint.
The most vivid aspect for me was the saturated colors of the "Pow" & "Bam" comic gif (whatever the title was). I just enjoyed starting at the beautiful colors. Maybe because I'm more visual than auditory.

@James_H I can hear two of those images, barely, but i can feel the vibration more, it just seems to be the skipping pylons and Bam Bam
Me too. I can't really hear them but my mind makes the noise inside my head - kind of like if you sing a song in your head. You can "hear" it but your ears aren't involved.

Back