• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Amazing Coincidence!

Hammersss

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
ive just spent an enjoyable hour reading some of the weird events and occurrences on here and have to tell you about an amazing coincidence that happened about 25 years ago.
We were all sorting mail at our fittings on our night shift and the boss called break time.
Whilst we were on our break the boss had filled all of the fittings with about 60 trays of mail ready for us to carry on sorting through the night. (The mail was a mail shot of bills all identical in size and stood upright in one long row about 7-8 long)
As we all came downstairs the guy in front of me said something along the lines of “oh god look at all this, where’s it from”
He randomly pulled a letter out and it was only his bill for his house!
He couldn’t of set it up as he was sat with us all breaktime in the canteen.
We were blown away and still talk about it now!

Last edited:
Not quite such staggering odds, but I have a similar story. I used to work in an office that rented out a room in a college. At the end of every day one of us would take the outgoing post (probably upwards of 40 letters) up to the college's franking room. One of my colleagues came back from this duty one afternoon to report that on his way back from taking the post, one of the college's security guards had stopped him because he had dropped one of the letters - and the letter belonged to someone the security guard knew (his sister or something, I forget) and he'd been the one to suggest they write to us in the first place.

I wish I could remember more of the details because there was some sort of fracas between my colleague and the security guard about it, but I don't. I do remember very well though my colleague really struggling with the coincidence of dropping that one particular letter :nods:

Many years ago I heard a story from one of our Traffic Dept. officers: He had been out on patrol one night when he spotted a moped with two lads on board, and bearing only a number plate hand-written on a piece of cardboard.

They would have been an automatic stop anyway, and to no-one's surprise it transpired that they'd recently stolen the moped.

The coincidence? When they prepared their homemade number plate they'd chosen a vehicle registration number completely at random from their imaginations. It was the (genuine) number of a completely unrelated motor vehicle from another part of the UK. Which itself had just been logged onto the Police National Computer as stolen...

maximus otter

By an amazing coincidence, we have threads on coincidences!

Dunno why but there are at least two. Perhaps it's because we come up with so many and one long thread might be too much to wade through.

They make excellent reading though. I have a book about coincidences which I keep coming across at home, seemingly every time someone on here posts about them. Must re-read it!

Back