• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

An Odd Bit Of Road

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell with yesterday's knickers
I was posting on another forum elsewhere yesterday (yes, they exist!) and it made me remember this...

In May I drove over the Yorkshire Wolds to visit a friend in Lincoln. I was aiming to go over the Humber Bridge but, because I'd borrowed a Sat Nav from a tight Yorkshireman who'd programmed it to avoid toll roads, I ended up being directed all over the place. Eventually joined the motorway at Howden, off the Boothferry Road, and yes, it was a bloody long way round and I probably spent more in petrol than the toll would have cost, but there you go.

But before this I'd driven down off the Wolds, past a layby on the opposite side of the road to me. People were picnicking there, there were trees and (I think) a kind of walk up to a hilltop? Not too sure because, as soon as I got within range of that layby I got the most weird, prickly 'I shouldn't be here' feeling and I put my foot down over that hilltop. Didn't slow down until I got to the bottom of the hill.

It was a dry, sunny Saturday, there were lots of people sitting parked up in the lay by, so I have no idea what freaked me out so badly. I don't even know what road I was on (teach me to bllindly follow a Sat Nav, eh?) only that the trees/hedges of the layby had been trimmed flat to give better access.

I've sat with maps and tried to trace my route back, and I think it may have been the A614 I was on. Does anyone have any idea where I might have been, or if there's any history connected to that layby?

No reason to think so - everything seemed perfectly normal for a Saturday afternoon. I didn't lose or gain any time on the trip, nothing untoward except that weird 'scared, you don't belong here' feeling.

Only ever had one strange feeling thing on a road and that was about 7 years back
on a narrow but tarmacked road over the high moors between two valleys ou in
the Scottish borders, we met one car in about 20 miles and even though I
could see a mate on another bike in the mirror at all times I had a incredible
feeling of loneliness never experienced anything like it before or since.

Whenever people happen to mention roads around Lincoln I always ask them if they were anywhere near the A15. But if it's the road you've mentioned it's very much on the other side of the City.

Could you give us a rough indication as to your starting point? The Gypsy Race runs through the Yorkshire Wolds, and there is the Rudston Monolith as well as a number of tumuli and the like. The Modern Antiquarian waxes quite lyrical about the landscape inland of Bridlington, and claims the settlement's name is derived from Brid/Brigid. If we knew roughly where you started from, we might be able to guesstimate your route down to the eastern end of the M62.

If you'll forgive a personal digression, despite - or perhaps because - of the mythology that has arisen around the area, it is one of my favourite parts of the world. I make a pilgrimage (and I do almost conceive of it in such terms) there whenever I am back on home ground. Never mind the south west of England, your Glastonburys and Tintagels and Aveburys. If magic - and I take a broad ecumenical view of how this might be defined - is to be found still, somewhere in Albion, then I wouldn't be surprised to find it in the Yorkshire Wolds. In fact, if I stretch the definition only slightly, then I have found it there myself.

Can places/houses, etc somehow store (or record) the extreme emotions previous visitors/residents have experienced?

I'm thinking back to my Colin Wilson/Lyall watson reading days, and a fair bit of 'glitch in the matrix' stuff from reddit...

I have experienced something similar only within homes I have lived in, or visited. One such place left me feeling so drained and on edge I gave the tenancy up within a month. It also did a number on my otherwise laid-back cat (hair on end on stairwell, accompanied by my own odd sensations of walking into a weird, electrically charged 'web', uurgh).
Luckily I had a friend living nearby who put me up for a while whilst I searched for a new place. Yes, it was that bad. I just had to trust my instincts there, rather than try to analyse why or what was afoot.

My father, in his younger days when house hunting with my mother once walked into a house and then straight back out again, saying 'no, not a chance', yet he would never explain why. He had many such experiences, although sadly didn't discuss them.

I recall hearing about a cliff edge somewhere in the UK where there had been a number of suicides. Many visitors to the place reported sensing a deep depression and hopelessness at the spot, some even going so far as to say intrusive thoughts concerning ending it all passed through their minds......or am I remembering a ghost story?!

Can places/houses, etc somehow store (or record) the extreme emotions previous visitors/residents have experienced?

I'm thinking back to my Colin Wilson/Lyall watson reading days, and a fair bit of 'glitch in the matrix' stuff from reddit...

I have experienced something similar only within homes I have lived in, or visited. One such place left me feeling so drained and on edge I gave the tenancy up within a month. It also did a number on my otherwise laid-back cat (hair on end on stairwell, accompanied by my own odd sensations of walking into a weird, electrically charged 'web', uurgh).
Luckily I had a friend living nearby who put me up for a while whilst I searched for a new place. Yes, it was that bad. I just had to trust my instincts there, rather than try to analyse why or what was afoot.

My father, in his younger days when house hunting with my mother once walked into a house and then straight back out again, saying 'no, not a chance', yet he would never explain why. He had many such experiences, although sadly didn't discuss them.

I recall hearing about a cliff edge somewhere in the UK where there had been a number of suicides. Many visitors to the place reported sensing a deep depression and hopelessness at the spot, some even going so far as to say intrusive thoughts concerning ending it all passed through their minds......or am I remembering a ghost story?!

Stone tape theory! :nods: There's a good thread on it here:
forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/stone-tape-theory.62512/
Link is obsolete. The current link is:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/stone-tape-theory.62512/

Last edited by a moderator:
Krepostnoi - I drove via Malton, Wetwang, then on the B1248, then (I think) on to the A614 through Middleton on the Wolds. That's as much of the route as I can vouch for. After that it was all a bit of a blur and shouting at the sat nav. Oh, and boiled sweets.

And then there was the lay by. I don't know if there was anything intriniscally weird about the lay by itself, it was when it came into sight that I started feeling prickly and 'get out of here', along that stretch of road. I'd go back, but it's quite a long way from where I live (well north of the wolds, into Yorkshire Moors territory).

Krepostnoi - I drove via Malton, Wetwang, then on the B1248, then (I think) on to the A614 through Middleton on the Wolds. That's as much of the route as I can vouch for. After that it was all a bit of a blur and shouting at the sat nav. Oh, and boiled sweets.

And then there was the lay by. I don't know if there was anything intriniscally weird about the lay by itself, it was when it came into sight that I started feeling prickly and 'get out of here', along that stretch of road. I'd go back, but it's quite a long way from where I live (well north of the wolds, into Yorkshire Moors territory).
'Wetwang'?
[childish snigger]

There's Kinnoull Hill just outside Perth is Scotland which is a notorious suicide spot. Many years ago I stood at the edge of the cliff and didn't feel well at all. I don't like heights anyway but the feeling I got there was a lot worse than normal, I felt dizzy and was becoming disorientated.

Maybe you found yourself on the Highway to Hull?

I'd go back, but it's quite a long way from where I live (well north of the wolds, into Yorkshire Moors territory).

from your description of the journey i reckon itd be hard to retrace your steps with confidence, little bits of roads like that, not sure where in the sequence the layby was, no milestones ...

having said that, windows maps on my phone, which is a total crock day-to-day, is helpfully showing me laybys on that stretch of a614 betwen middleton and boothferry road, was it on your side heading south, or the other side ? for instance theres a plain cut out layby, no fixed tables, just south of where portington rd hits the a614

ah i see it was on the northbound side from your original post

possibly here, seems to be some kind of artificial hill perhaps
wp_ss_20170902_0003.png

cool, its the best use ive had out of windows maps, which is a daily liability, borderline actually dangerous to use

little bit of local history :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Londesborough

Some scholars suggest the still-undiscovered Roman camp of Delgovicia is in the vicinity of Londesborough ... Londesborough is one of the sites in the East Riding that have been conjectured as the Romano-British town of Delgovicia, an eastern station associated with York. A Roman road from Brough on the Humber Estuary ran directly north to meet Londesborough estate and village, where were found Roman coins and burial repositories.

You are a star, Henry!

Now, does anyone know anything that might have spooked me on that hill? Apart from the Romans...

I'm a bit short of time for driving out that way at present but I shall go at the first opportunity and have a look around, now I know where I'm aiming for. I'll take a picnic...

Regarding

Regarding the cliff, could this maybe be east cliff in west bay, Dorset, on the same beach where Broadchurch was filmed? I live nearby, and there have been large number of suicides, every year there are several more, and dogs are known to leap off the cliff

Beachy Head?

Back