• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

An Odd Thing That Happened In A Men's Room

The 'bathroom death' scenario is sometimes due to slow heart failure. Because the heart is struggling the available blood is directed towards more vital organs like the brain. The digestive organs get less, so everything in there relaxes a little and it feels like you need the toilet.
So off you go, only to collapse.

An elderly relation of mine died like this. She'd brought her brother home after a hospital stay and as she and her daughter were about to leave Relation suddenly needed the loo.
She popped up to the bathroom and thud. She was gone by the time Daughter had raced up the stairs and pushed on the bathroom door.

Not a bad way to go, but traumatic for whoever finds them.

There is still a painting of three men on the wall which is allegedly haunted. I used to know an ex landlord years ago who claimed to have seen a man in a tricorn hat walk past him after they had locked up. He never stuck me as someone to make up tall tales.

The main building that is slightly different to the right on the picture apparently used to be the knocking shop for when sailors landed.

Also one of the only pubs in England with a beer cellar upstairs. The beer cellar also has a stream running through it. It runs from Castle Hill, through it and into the River Lune. It is also Britains second oldest pub if I recall correctly.

There is still a painting of three men on the wall which is allegedly haunted. I used to know an ex landlord years ago who claimed to have seen a man in a tricorn hat walk past him after they had locked up. He never stuck me as someone to make up tall tales.

The main building that is slightly different to the right on the picture apparently used to be the knocking shop for when sailors landed.

Also one of the only pubs in England with a beer cellar upstairs. The beer cellar also has a stream running through it. It runs from Castle Hill, through it and into the River Lune. It is also Britains second oldest pub if I recall correctly.

It's a lovely city, even if going out and about on a Friday night is risky these days.

Bathroom are slippery and people can fall. At the previous house we lived in we lived next door to the elderly sister of the final owner, her sister. She told us that her sister died of a fall in the bathroom on New Year's Day. Great--we had an annual date and a place to be creeped out. The icing on the cake was that she told us her sisters' name was Sally, which is my name. Tinkling on New Years' Eve involved efficiency and thinking of anything but poor Sally.

Many years ago I used a public lavatory at Dundee Coach Station, the atmosphere inside the the lavatory was really unsettling. I was the only person in there but I felt that there was someone standing behind me watching me and it was a really horrible feeling. I got out as quickly as I could!

Naughty Felid - not if you go to the right pubs. We don't go drinking in Morecambe because there really aren't many decent pubs.

My personal recommendations for Lancaster for a hassle free drink would be:

The Yorkshire House
The Bobbin
The Pub (a bikers pub, really friendly and hassle free)
The Ring o Bells
The Three Mariners (but gets crowded easily).
The Golden Lion (not quite central but not far away).
and slightly more out of the way
The Gregson.

For future reference:

:)

The 'bathroom death' scenario is sometimes due to slow heart failure. Because the heart is struggling the available blood is directed towards more vital organs like the brain. The digestive organs get less, so everything in there relaxes a little and it feels like you need the toilet.
So off you go, only to collapse.

An elderly relation of mine died like this. She'd brought her brother home after a hospital stay and as she and her daughter were about to leave Relation suddenly needed the loo.
She popped up to the bathroom and thud. She was gone by the time Daughter had raced up the stairs and pushed on the bathroom door.

Not a bad way to go, but traumatic for whoever finds them.
I suspect that my father was on the way to the toilet when he dropped dead in his bedroom.:( Your explanation does fit these type of scenarios.

I suspect that my father was on the way to the toilet when he dropped dead in his bedroom.:( Your explanation does fit these type of scenarios.

I'm sorry you lost your Dad. It was a comfort to us that our auntie wouldn't have known a thing about it.

I've told this somewhere else on this forum. I visited a public bathroom to do nature's business. Right after entering a cubicle, someone entered the neighbour cubicle(or that was what I thought). After finishing my business a minute after and leaving the cubicle, I noticed the door to the neighbour cubicle was opened and no one was inside when passing by.

I've told this somewhere else on this forum. I visited a public bathroom to do nature's business. Right after entering a cubicle, someone entered the neighbour cubicle(or that was what I thought). After finishing my business a minute after and leaving the cubicle, I noticed the door to the neighbour cubicle was opened and no one was inside when passing by.
Yup, ghosts love lavvies! I’m told it’s the running water that attracts them. They use the energy or summat.

This happened to me when I was around nine or ten years old. This would have been in the middle 1960s. At that time, my parents would take us about once or twice a season to the department store at the closest city to our rural home for clothing or whatever. Usually, the last thing my parents did was to have my brother and myself visit the men's room since the drive was fairly long. They waited outside as my brother and myself went into the small men's room. My brother went directly for the toilet and shut the door. I stopped and waited for a tall young blond man finished at the urinal.

My brother, disgusting heathen that most younsters seem to be, finished and went back out the door. For some reason, I waited. I'm not sure why. The man finished, went to the sink, washed up, glancing at me a few times. I felt the hair raise on my neck. He went to the door, opened it. I felt myself holding my breath in anxiety. He went out, then stopped and stuck his head back in.

"I'll see you again. Ok?"

I said nothing. He smiled at me and said, "I said I'll see you again, OK?"

I nodded. He disappeared out the door.

I did my business quickly, and for some reason I don't understand, was thoroughly spooked.

When I went out the door I asked my parents who were waiting for me impatiently if they saw that guy that just went out the door. They said no, that only my brother had come out. I protested, asking my brother if he found that guy as creepy as me, the one at the urinal. He scoffed, "What do you mean? There was no one in there, you jerk!"

I still consider this as one of the instances in my life that got me interested in fortean events. Anyone else? What was the instance that got you interested in the fortean?
First let me say i respect the instincts you had about the situation. So I’m not trying to discount the event. At all. But...maybe he was helping with the sale ( junior in the dept) and heard your mom or dad explain this was your regular recurring shopping trip. you just didnt notice him, being as bored and restless as some boys are when clothes shopping. He said he would see you again meaning on your next trip, but as things go, had moved on to another job before you returned. He could have also had a sinister or predatory inclination toward young boys in rest rooms. When you returned to the store, did you remember him or look for him?

I sometimes went to the Three Mariners, Lancaster back in the 1980s. By my recollection it used to be called the Carpenters Arms, or the Carps for short. It was a very different place back then before the refurb. There were, i think, 3 smallish rooms with a bar by the front door. It's all been knocked through now and old pillars removed. The tiny toilets were up a corner flight of stairs in the far left corner of the first room, opposite the bar, kind of grotty mdf affair. It was always good for a lock in as I remember. Anyway, one quiet night, I went upstairs to the ladies. As I came out the cubicle, the door opened and a man in a tricorn hat and a long filthy trenchcoat walked in, pushed past me and stood facing the window. I did not recognise him so gave him a bollocking for going into the ladies instead of the mens, left him in there and came back down the windy stairs. I rejoined my party at the bottom of the stairs and told them what had happened, asking who this rude person was. They said they had not seen anyone climb the stairs. The room only held a max of about 20 people . There was no other access to the toilets from the rest of the building. We all waited for this character to come back down but they never did. Checking the toilets later with my mates, it would appear he had vanished into thin air. Now, you might wonder why I would not be disturbed by seeing someone in a trenchcoat and tricorn hat. This was Lancaster in the 80s which was teeming with goths, punks , bikers and assorted dress up merchants who went to Afflecks Palace to get kitted out so that bit wasn't scary., in fact it was quite normal. What was scary was the fact that this character never spoke, nobody saw him go up the stairs or come back down the stairs and he just vanished. I have heard that the pub was haunted but until I came across this site, have never heard mention of a man in a tricorn hat. There was nothing ethereal about him..a big smelly bloke in dirty clothes as real as it gets. My mates could tell I was really shaken up by it and I would never use the toilet in there again on my own.

Back