Anadigitabulaecessionism: A Needful New Word That You Know The Meaning Of Already

Ermintruder

Existential pixelfixer
I become disproportionately-distressed when people (both in person, and via any media channel) appear as if they intend to make tabulated comments during their supposedly-reasoned discourse, and then constantly fail to so do.

So they will always start, eg by interjecting ordinally "ONE!" or "Firstly!", or my especial dislike, the initial letter "A!" getting shouted-out, in preparation for a listed set of statements that never arrives.

But the coup de grâce (for me) is when they do that thing with their hands....that weird over-bendy wrist-pivot, where one of their fingers (in fact, usually the thumb) gets used to tabulate the first point.....and they then go on to NEVER complete that sequence. Or even increment it (admittedly, one in 50 might get to 'Two!', but have you ever seen someone make it, appropriately-enough, all the way up to five?).

I know it's just a conventional reaction, to pressure and stress. Disordered thought is an inevitable aspect of human psychology. But this is a real trigger for me. It's so annoying...people are much-more effective when they just talk, rather than subconsciously feeling they need to make some kind of quasi-formalised style structure.

And that "word"....my name for the phenomenon. It's been in my head for 45yrs or so, but it is clumsy. I said on the forum ages ago (thinks: mid 2017?) that I was going to share this word....a name for something specific many of you will have seen, but been unable to put a word to. But I bet most of you won't find it as....unsettling, as I do.

Comments please. (Yes, I know, but the therapy sessions cost too much :)

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
I used to have a colleague so unfocused and verbose he would lose the thread of his tabulating indices. As a result (and to everyone else's amusement) he'd come up with:

"1) I think you're wrong....

Blah blah blah

...Secondly, it's not policy and...

Blah blah blah

...C) we shouldn't be doing it anyway."

Ermintruder

Existential pixelfixer
he would lose the thread of his tabulating indices
Ah, but at least he does increment, albeit in a semi-sequential series.

It's those in the guilty majority that I have a problem with. As soon as they start, they're commited to continuing, and they never rarely damn-well ever do it.

Hang 'em all, I say. From the highest yard-arm. Until they say sorry.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Ermintruder,

The fact that you can remember such a word for forty five years is worthy of a medal in itself.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
..It's because the interviewer constantly interrupts and won't let the other person finish. ..

That is a very annoying trait. I admire those interviewees who break in and say things like 'if you don't want to hear my answer, why ask the question'?