• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ancient Instruments & Music

That Innuit throat singing is super.

There's a nice little tutorial video here from Tanya Tagaq

It's quite effective for unintentionally freaking out your domestic pets.

OneWingedBird said:
That Innuit throat singing is super.

There's a nice little tutorial video here from Tanya Tagaq

It's quite effective for unintentionally freaking out your domestic pets.

Pets do dislike any kind of 'droning', IME. I used to have a friend that played didgeridoo and it drove both dogs and cats mad. He wouldn't stop blimmin' playing the damn thing either; my friend and I used to stuff socks in the end :twisted:

Danny Baker used to play Mongolian throat singing on his radio show because he said it sounded like Bruce Forsyth.

He wouldn't stop blimmin' playing the damn thing either; my friend and I used to stuff socks in the end Twisted Evil

Yeah, many years back I discovered that you could improvise a Didgeridon't using a cardboard postal tube. :oops: My current cats are made of sterner stuff but still don;t care much for my attempts at Innuit throat singing.

Found a cool list of recordings on Listverse, some old, some contemporary. Starts with the oldest audio recording known, apparently - slightly unsettling - and ends with recordings of the Confederate Army rebel yell. The old US psyops sample from the Vietnam war is interesting.

http://listverse.com/2012/11/20/10-amazing-rare-recordings/

10 - First audio recording of a human voice
9 - Honshu Earthquake of 2011
8 - The wandering soul (Vietnam psyops)
7 - Mongolian Throat Singing
6 - Beethoven Hymn Discovered
5 - Bloop from deep underwater
4 - Atomic bomb
3 - Aztec whistles
2 - UVB-76 Russian radio frequency
1 - Rebel war yell

Space shuttle launches were startling aural/physical experiences that shook the inner organs creating a deep emotional response in many people. The full effect couldn't be reproduced elctronically, but this sample gives some idea. Good quality headphones or large hi-fidelity speakers might add authenticity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGJV0P_r1Rs

If you're looking for way out sounds, I think we have a thread somewhere which links to a recording of 9/11 taken from a seismomenter/seismograph/seisesomething in NY State.

Ancient lyre, ascribed to Irish heritage. Sounds distinctly eastern European or middle-eastern to me. Nice evocation anyway.

Ras Tafar I

The prominent melody maker here (apart from the voices) is the mbira. Originally from bamboo, but these days crafted from metal strips. I can't find a bamboo mbira yet. Searching.

Last edited:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-...t-to-be-a-weapon-sheds-light-on-music/6740352
3D printing used to show ancient Irish spear butt actually part of musical instrument
By Jordan Hayne
Posted about 3 hours ago

Photo: Canberra archaeologist Billy Ó Foghlú tested out the mouthpiece on one of his replica horns (Supplied: ANU Media)
Photo: The 'spear-butt' shown alongside modern instrument mouthpieces (Supplied: ANU Media)
Map: Australian National University 0200
3D printing technology has been used to show a Bronze Age artefact, thought to be a spear butt, is actually part of a musical instrument.

The artefact, known as the Conical Spear Butt of Navan — found in Ireland in the early 1900s — was likely to have been crafted between 100BC and 200AD.

But it has now been shown the spear butt was probably used as the mouthpiece for a horn.

The revelation sheds new light on ancient Irish culture, as it was made in what was thought to be a musical dark age.

It was demonstrated by Canberra archaeologist Billy Ó Foghlú, who was looking to show that sophisticated instrument making technology existed in Bronze Age Ireland.

He made a 3D printed replica of the spear butt, and found it enhanced the timbre of a replica horn when used as a mouthpiece.

"I had made this big replica of a horn, over two metres long, and I had mimicked the thickness of the metal ... and basically just stuck it in and tried to play," Mr Ó Foghlú said.

"Suddenly the instrument just came to life."

Mr Ó Foghlú said it was likely the artefact was misclassified as a spear butt because it would not have been excavated at the same time as horns.

"None of these [horns] were excavated ... in such a way that you could find these things," he said.

"Basically you come across lots of artefacts to which people don't know the exact function of them.

"A lot of them were found during farming during the 1800s where you don't have any archaeologists at the time, so they don't record things quite accurately and their functions are lost."

Bronze mouthpiece cast from 3D printed mould
The replica mouthpiece tested by Mr Ó Foghlú was crafted using a 3D printed mould.

The mould was then cast in bronze, much like the original would have been.

Photo: The 'spear-butt' shown alongside modern instrument mouthpieces (Supplied: ANU Media)
"I had seen pictures of these artefacts, which obviously is very little to make a scientific theory on," Mr Ó Foghlú said.

"So I actually found a website for a 3D printing studio in Sydney.

"The resulting piece that I got back, and this only took about a week, was actually made in a manner almost identical to the original way — being cast in a mould."

Mr Ó Foghlú said the fact that mouthpieces were used in horns from Bronze Age Ireland demonstrated the culture was more focused on music than most people had realised.

"These horns were not just hunting horns or noisemakers. They were very carefully constructed and repaired, they were played for hours. Music clearly had a very significant role in the culture," he said.

I got hold of a file currently available on KickassTorrents called "Music of Ancient Greece & Egypt". Features authentic instrumentals and lyricals from old Egypt, Greece and Rome. Have the Egyptian set on now and it is exactly what I wanted. Oh for the liner notes though.

Viva Scotia.
Wish I could find Jimmy Shand's rendition of this. It's the most plaintive.

Pipes version.

... where we came in. According to the doco I'm watching on TV (The Celts - Neil Oliver and Alice Roberts), John Kenny is the only carnyx player on earth. Here he is.

Brit Celts hand French Celts their own arse in this regard.

John Kenny does have some stupendous talent on the wind instruments though. Harken:

They are having an archeomusic exhibit in a convent near here. I now recognise the thing they have on the poster as a carnyx.

... where we came in. According to the doco I'm watching on TV (The Celts - Neil Oliver and Alice Roberts), John Kenny is the only carnyx player on earth. Here he is.

That was fascinating. Great find.

Most welcome. Check back in page 2 for more of John Kenny's genius.

This isn't ancient but it evokes ancient muses. One of the best ambient composers, Michael Stearns.

Crwth
Not heard the name before. No idea on how it would be pronounced in Welsh. The instrument's sound is similar to one of Wardruna's instruments, which would be trad Norse.

More on the crwth:
The crwth (/ˈkruːθ/ or /ˈkrʊθ/), also called a crowd or rote, is a bowed lyre, a type of stringed instrument, associated particularly with Welsh music and with Folk music of England (expecially related to the Middle Ages), now archaic but once widely played in Europe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crwth

1700BC
330px-Britannica_Cithara_Asiatic_Cithara.jpg

Round Lyre
This is one of the members of Wardruna, Einar Selvik. The song's from their first album.

More Wardruna, featuring the menacing Ghaal.

Last edited:
Lustmord ~Heresy Part 1
This is ugly stuff. The warped infant torture at the end gives me the creeps but I can't turn my ears away. Could just as well gone into the occult theme music thread, but hey.

Ah, Dark Island takes me back, to a couple of years in the late 70s, when I was running a few sailing cruises on the west coast of Scotland. Back then Dark Island was fairly popular, so it became a kind of theme tune for those years.

At first I thought it was a traditional Scottish song, but I later learned that it came from a 1963 BBC film!

http://drkennethrobertson.co.uk/_photo_12853949.html
http://amazingtunes.com/rainbow/tunes/6708
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Island

etc..
This is the version I was hunting for - not Jimmy Shand, apparently, but another 3 button player called Jimmy Blue. Still my favourite version.

Back