• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ancient Natural Catastrophies

A

Anonymous

I was reading an article and came across a reference to a volcanic eruption 1 million years ago in the Sw United states that "vaporized a 27,000 foot mountain leaving a crater 12 miles wide and 3500 feet deep."

I found this interesting and was wondering if there is a site that might discuss other such events based on geological evidence.

Anyone have any info/links?

Recent news story here on a very big eruption here :

'A huge outpouring of molten rock 250 million years ago may have been the decisive factor in the deaths of nearly all lifeforms on the Earth at that time.
The lava that gushed out of the ground was at least twice as extensive as previously thought, a team of international researchers now reports.

Its work suggests the "volcanic flood" was a kilometre and a half deep and covered an area half the size of Australia. '

The Deccan Traps also. They happened at the same time as Chixl - no - chxol - no - the Yucatan Peninsular meteorite.

I think the big american volcano or caldera is actually Jellystone. Which may well explode sometime soon (geologically)

If it happens soonexpect GWB to declare a war on geology

Edit
Perhaps soon geologically is a bit optimistic see this linh

The Yellowstone caldera erupts about every 600,000 - 700,000 years. The last eruption was 630,000 years ago...

According to David Keys (see this thread) other potential supervolcanoes we should worry about are Rabaul (Papua New Guinea); Long Valley (California); and the Campanian/Campi Flegrei complex (Italy - 150 times as large as nearby Vesuvius).

Back