• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ancient / Pre-Columbian Cultures In The Amazon Region

A

Anonymous

Last edited by a moderator:
That site is loading very slowly, so I'll have to try viewing it some other time.
I do recall a hoax in National Geographic, in which a 'lost' group was found. Turns out, they were ordinary people paid to dress like "heathens" (I quote a magazine article regarding the hoax).
Thanks,
Seth "Got That New Custom Smell" Merridew

This article seems to be spouting a lot of unnecessary sensationalist crap. The reason so many amazonian tribes have disappeared is disease - introduced by Europeans. Many of these tribes, some of whom dazzled the early european explorers, produced beautiful pieces of pottery, carved wood, etc. But contact with the europeans brought death - smallpox, measles, influenza, tuberculosis and pneumonia. Entire communities were wiped out, the jungle reclaimed the land, and as they say, the rest is history.

I went to the exhibition at the British Museum. It was stunning. At that time I had no idea that the amazonian peoples were so sophisticated artistically. I thought they were just hunter-gatherers. The thing that I found most memorable was a small dish which had been painted with an unusual geometric design. Only two colours were used (I think), black and orange. It completely f***ed with my head. I was fascinated and made dizzy by it at the same time. There were many other wonderful pieces too but that most impressed me. The dish can be seen in the book that accompanied the exhibition (p. 130, bottom of page) but it has been rendered as a black & white line drawing. Aaaargh, the effect is lost!

Another thing that amazed me was photographs of archaeologists pulling painted pottery out of riverbeds! How did the paint survive? Not only were the pieces beautiful, they also showed remarkable durability!

If you'd like to know more about these tribes then you may like to acquire the book that accompanied the British Museum exhibition. It's called 'Unknown Amazon' edited by Colin McEwan[edit: spelling], Christiana Barreto and Eduardo Neves. ISBN 071412558X. It's 300 pages long and contains chapters on the latest archaelogical research into the 'lost tribes'. I haven't read it yet (this is going to be my catchphrase:rolleyes: ) but it looks pretty decent and well rounded - not just pretty pictures.

Mana said:
This article seems to be spouting a lot of unnecessary sensationalist crap. The reason so many amazonian tribes have disappeared is disease - introduced by Europeans. Many of these tribes, some of whom dazzled the early european explorers, produced beautiful pieces of pottery, carved wood, etc. But contact with the europeans brought death - smallpox, measles, influenza, tuberculosis and pneumonia. Entire communities were wiped out, the jungle reclaimed the land, and as they say, the rest is history.

I went to the exhibition at the British Museum. It was stunning. At that time I had no idea that the amazonian peoples were so sophisticated artistically. I thought they were just hunter-gatherers. The thing that I found most memorable was a small dish which had been painted with an unusual geometric design. Only two colours were used (I think), black and orange. It completely f***ed with my head. I was fascinated and made dizzy by it at the same time. There were many other wonderful pieces too but that most impressed me. The dish can be seen in the book that accompanied the exhibition (p. 130, bottom of page) but it has been rendered as a black & white line drawing. Aaaargh, the effect is lost!

Another thing that amazed me was photographs of archaeologists pulling painted pottery out of riverbeds! How did the paint survive? Not only were the pieces beautiful, they also showed remarkable durability!

If you'd like to know more about these tribes then you may like to acquire the book that accompanied the British Museum exhibition. It's called 'Unknown Amazon' edited by Colin McEwan[edit: spelling], Christiana Barreto and Eduardo Neves. ISBN 071412558X. It's 300 pages long and contains chapters on the latest archaelogical research into the 'lost tribes'. I haven't read it yet (this is going to be my catchphrase:rolleyes: ) but it looks pretty decent and well rounded - not just pretty pictures.

Thanks for the information.

I agree that the article has weaknesses, but it was the best I could find.

I remember seeing a documentary about canals and ancient pottery in the deep amazon. Supposedly the settlement was very large (certainly not as large as mentioned in the article), but as large as European settlements of the same period in time.

I find the prospect of a lost civilization very interesting, especially when there's some concrete proof of its existance.

Yes it is very interesting. But on a slightly pedantic note, there were probably multiple civilisations. Some may have existed side by side too. After all we are talking about an area equal to the principal countries of Europe. This also makes it very difficult to protect Brazil's archaeological heritage. Amazonian pottery is very collectable and sites are constantly being looted.

The book I recommended may be the best you'll find at the moment. I had a look at it's bibliography and most sources come from journals - many written in Portuguese.

As Mana siad, Many Amazonian Societies were Decimated within the 1st 200 years of Contact with Europeans, as were the rest of the Americas. Some 90% of the Population of both continents were wiped out by disease, Displacement, Slavery & Genocide. Probably the greatest Demographic collapse in human history. 1 fifth of the Human race disappearing!

Not surprisingly, in such a lush environment, nature will soon reclaim human lands.

I read an account of A journey in search of 'Eldorado', Undertaken by the Brother of Franscico Pizarro (Can't remeber his name) into the Amazon Basin From the peruvian Highlands. the expedition got into Difficulty very early on, but tghe account describes many 'Indian' nations encountered along the route of the amazon, which sounds like a vastly different place from today. the banks were lined with towns with Large populations & wooden Buildings (So little will survive the climate of the amazon after abandonment) So whio knows what lay beyond the banks? (The explorers were Half dead so didn't get off the river!)

Unfortunately Stone was only really used for Building in The Andes & Central America.

I have made several trips to the Venezuelan part of Amazonia, and it seems to me that areas that are now sparsely populated by very primitive tribes show evidence of having a significantly denser and more advanced population in ancient times. On my last trip (in 1999) we stopped at a small mixed Indian and white settlement. Just a few minutes walk from the settlement was an area in the jungle, several acres in size, that was covered with broken ancient ceramics. Most were plain, undecorated potshards, but some were in the form of really weird animals. The people in the settlement seemed surprised that anybody would be interested in the old broken pottery.

People at the settlement said that a little farther into the jungle there was an area with many spherical rocks. Unfortunately, I did not have enough time to visit that site. I wonder if there was any connection to the sites in Costa Rica with the stone spheres. I saw one of the smaller spheres (less than a foot in diameter) in the settlement. The site was reported to the authorities, but the last I heard, there were no plans to investigate the site.

4imix said:
As Mana siad, Many Amazonian Societies were Decimated within the 1st 200 years of Contact with Europeans, as were the rest of the Americas. Some 90% of the Population of both continents were wiped out by disease, Displacement, Slavery & Genocide. Probably the greatest Demographic collapse in human history. 1 fifth of the Human race disappearing!

Not surprisingly, in such a lush environment, nature will soon reclaim human lands.

I read an account of A journey in search of 'Eldorado', Undertaken by the Brother of Franscico Pizarro (Can't remeber his name) into the Amazon Basin From the peruvian Highlands. the expedition got into Difficulty very early on, but tghe account describes many 'Indian' nations encountered along the route of the amazon, which sounds like a vastly different place from today. the banks were lined with towns with Large populations & wooden Buildings (So little will survive the climate of the amazon after abandonment) So whio knows what lay beyond the banks? (The explorers were Half dead so didn't get off the river!)

Unfortunately Stone was only really used for Building in The Andes & Central America.

From what I've heard, the some pottery shards are far older than the arrival of Europeans. There's also large expansive canals and mounds that seemed to have been used for farming and irrigation.

I'm aware of disease wiping out the native populations, but I wasn't aware of the Indian nations that Pizarro encountered. I'll have to read more about that.

Rick S. said:
I have made several trips to the Venezuelan part of Amazonia, and it seems to me that areas that are now sparsely populated by very primitive tribes show evidence of having a significantly denser and more advanced population in ancient times. On my last trip (in 1999) we stopped at a small mixed Indian and white settlement. Just a few minutes walk from the settlement was an area in the jungle, several acres in size, that was covered with broken ancient ceramics. Most were plain, undecorated potshards, but some were in the form of really weird animals. The people in the settlement seemed surprised that anybody would be interested in the old broken pottery.

People at the settlement said that a little farther into the jungle there was an area with many spherical rocks. Unfortunately, I did not have enough time to visit that site. I wonder if there was any connection to the sites in Costa Rica with the stone spheres. I saw one of the smaller spheres (less than a foot in diameter) in the settlement. The site was reported to the authorities, but the last I heard, there were no plans to investigate the site.

The stone spheres is a new one, never heard of those being in the Amazon. Amazing stuff.

I have no idea why they wouldn't investigate the site, other than it being too expensive. I hope this area gets some serious archeological scrutiny soon.

Welcome to the board Rick S. Do you have any opinion on these stone spheres? Natural or man-made? Type of stone? Native to the region?

I had a peak at your profile;)

Would you also care to expand on your descriptions of the Venezualen pottery? What kind of animals? In what way were they 'weird'? Was some of the pottery truly plain or could you see inscribed designs?

Have I just asked the most questions in one post?

Dear Mana,
Thanks for the welcome! I'm glad to be here.

The one sphere that I saw was a medium grained granite native to the area. When I first saw the rock, my opinion was that the round shape was due to natural weathering. This would be very unusual for granite in this area, but if there was only one of them I would have thought that it was only a coincidence. When I was told that there were many spherical rocks in a particular area, I began to suspect that the rocks may have been shaped by man. The surface patina on the rock gave me the impression that the rock had been in its present condition for quite a while, a few hundred years at least.

Most of the pottery was truly plain, without any decoration at all. Some were decorated with simple patterns of lines and dots. The animal figurines were rare. I cannot tell what kinds of animals were portrayed. When I wrote that they were "weird", what I meant was that they were abstract to the point that although I could tell that there were intended to represent some kind of animal, or in some cases perhaps humans, I could not determine what kind of animal.

The South American jungle is really an amazing place.

sobriquet said:
I'm aware of disease wiping out the native populations, but I wasn't aware of the Indian nations that Pizarro encountered. I'll have to read more about that.

The Account i read was in 'Conquistadors' by Micheal wood. It was a TV Series last year on BBC2. It has the Usual Aztec & Inca Stuff, but also Less well known accounts of the Amazon Excursions, and Forays into North America.

Worth a read.

Lost Amazon Civillization

In the Book Atlantis The Eight Continent there is are two photo's one is a Landsat 2 phtot taken over 500 over the Amazonian Jungle showing what looks likesymmetrical structure like objects

Then there is a closer phtot taken from the air from a helicopter which show pyramids like objects as of today i never heard a word that anyone has been to them

Nebka

Horizon on eldorado

Thought i'd resurrect this thread after having seen Horizon last night, that dealt with this.

In early 1542, an Expedition set off from Quito, in search of the fabled 'Lands of Cinnamon' and 'The Kingdom of El Dorado'. Led by Gonzales Pizarro, Half brother of Francisco Pizarro, Destroyer of the Inca. (I Mentioned this in a previous post) the expedition soon ran into trouble and spent the best part of a year fumbling about in the amazon jungle at the foothills of the Andes. The expedition Split early the next year, with Pizarro heading back to Quito, and his Captain, Francisco De Orrellana, taking a small force further dowwn the Amazon. what he encountered has puzzled historians and scientists ever since. Orellana claims to have come accross densely populated towns & Cities, Farming cast tracts of land, and supporting huge populations, reffering to the three main polities as 'Empires' Orrellana saied on to the mouth of the Amazon and back eventually into spanish territory. However after enjoying a breif celebrity, his calms were discredited by Pizarro, who had returned earlier.

Until recently, this has been dismisssed as fantasy, but recent investigation has shown that the amazon basin really did sustain a massive population, estimated at 4 million in 1542. within 2 or 3 decades the population had been slashed, by the introduction of old world diseases, that swept through the Americas, contributing to the greatest demographic collapse in human history. Orellana was probably the first and last European to set eyes on this civilisation.

It seems the Natives were able to farm the land in a way that has never been matched since, evidenced by the appearence of a particular type of soil found in the vicinity of the reamains of their towns. this has turned out to be man made, and has prioperties that we don't fullly understand, but could mean a revolution in agricultural production in areas of poor soil.

In all a fantastic program. Horizon at its best! :yeay: anyone else see it?

Summary Here

Terrific Stuff!

I saw it and 4imix is not exaggerating. Definitely one of the best Horizon's I've ever seen.

Gobsmacking stuff about an amazingly advanced agrarial irrigation culture that had solved the problem of cultivating some of the poorest soil on Earth. And then vanished, almost without trace, for over 400 years.

The computer reconstructions and aerial views were really well done.

Worth catching a repeat. :)

Amazon black soil

I watched the program on Eldorardo last week and it mentoined a black soil in the Amazon which was an everlasting fertiliser which could help improve crops and put an end to the slash and burn farming.

I wonder if you can buy it anywhere it would be useful for the garden.

Re: Amazon black soil

KarlR said:
I wonder if you can buy it anywhere it would be useful for the garden.

Only in Brazil ;) They discovered the Soils 'Regenerative' Properties when they discovered this bloke had been 'Quarrying' it for 60 years or something, and selling it to Garden Centres.

from Yahoo:

Ancient Amazon Settlements Uncovered
By PAUL RECER, AP Science Writer

WASHINGTON - The Amazon River basin was not all a pristine, untouched wilderness before Columbus came to the Americas, as was once believed. Researchers have uncovered clusters of extensive settlements linked by wide roads with other communities and surrounded by agricultural developments.

The researchers, including some descendants of pre-Columbian tribes that lived along the Amazon, have found evidence of densely settled, well-organized communities with roads, moats and bridges in the Upper Xingu part of the vast tropical region.

Michael J. Heckenberger, first author of the study appearing this week in the journal Science, said that the ancestors of the Kuikuro people in the Amazon basin had a "complex and sophisticated" civilization with a population of many thousands during the period before 1492.

"These people were not the small mobile bands or simple dispersed populations" that some earlier studies had suggested, he said.

Instead, the people demonstrated sophisticated levels of engineering, planning, cooperation and architecture in carving out of the tropical rain forest a system of interconnected villages and towns making up a widespread culture based on farming.

Heckenberger said the society that lived in the Amazon before Columbus were overlooked by experts because they did not build the massive cities and pyramids and other structures common to the Mayans, Aztecs and other pre-Columbian societies in South America.

Instead, they built towns, villages and smaller hamlets all laced together by precisely designed roads, some more than 50 yards across, that went in straight lines from one point to another.

"They were not organized in cities," Heckenberger said. "There was a different pattern of small settlements, but they were all tightly integrated.

He said the population in one village and town complex was 2,500 to 5,000 people, but that could be just one of many complexes in the Amazon region.

"All the roads were positioned according to the same angles and they formed a grid throughout the region," he said. Only a small part of these roads has been uncovered and it is uncertain how far the roads extend, but the area studied by his group is a grid 15 miles by 15 miles, he said.

Heckenberger said the people did not build with stone, as did the Mayas, but made tools and other equipment of wood and bone. Such materials quickly deteriorate in the tropical forest, unlike more durable stone structures. Building stones were not readily available along the Amazon, he said.

He said the Amazon people moved huge amounts of dirt to build roads and plazas. At one place, there is evidence that they even built a bridge spanning a major river. The people also altered the natural forest, planting and maintaining orchards and agricultural fields and the effects of this stewardship can still be seen today, Heckenberger said.

Diseases such as smallpox and measles, brought to the new world by European explorers, are thought to have wiped out most of the population along the Amazon, he said. By the time scientists began studying the indigenous people, the population was sparse and far flung. As a result, some researchers assumed that that was the way it was prior to Columbus.

The new studies, Heckenberger said, show that the Amazon basin once was the center of a stable, well-coordinated and sophisticated society.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030918/ap_on_sc/ancient_villages_4

Public release date: 12-May-2004

[email protected]
33-1-48-03-7519
Institut de Recherche Pour le Développement

Human settlements already existed in the Amazon Basin (Ecuador) 4000 years ago

July 2003 saw a significant discovery in Ecuador by IRD archaeologists: 4000-year-old structures indicating the presence of one of the first great Andean civilizations in the upper Amazon Basin, where their presence had not been suspected. The site is at Santa Ana- La Florida in the south of Ecuador. Subsequent systematic excavations of other parts of the site led to the discovery of sophisticated architectural complexes. Among these are a tomb and a range of diverse vestiges: ceramic bottles, plain or ornamented stone bowls, medallions and pieces of necklace in turquoise, malachite and other green stones. These objects convey the refinement achieved in lapidary art of this new Pre-Columbian civilization. They provide proof that this site was used for ceremonial purposes and funerary rites. These discoveries confirm the hypothesis put forward following the first excavations. They highlight the importance of the site and of the people who were settled there. They call into question theories on how the first great Andean civilizations emerged and the supposed interactions that took place between the different populations of these regions.

The excavations conducted in 2003 concentrated on the eastern sector of the site which corresponds to a terrace overhanging the bed of the River Valladolid. This part was the priority at the time as it was prey to illicit excavations. Several sets of architectural structures were discovered. Present on three levels, they correspond to successive eras of settlement. Near the surface (to 35 cm depth), remains of walls of a 20-m-long rectangular structure along with accumulations of pebbles were found over the whole terrace. They were possibly foundations of daub-constructed dwellings of peoples from the Corrugado horizon (from the VIIIth to the XVth Century A.D.).

Next, subsurface search down to 190 cm uncovered the most remarkable of the architectural features: an extensive set of concentric walls appearing to mark the centre of the site and ending in a spiral. A stone-clad hollow at the core of the structure served as a hearth base (indicated by reddened soil) of about 80 cm diameter. A rich assemblage of ceremonial offertory objects was found bearing: a mask in green stone covered by a polished stone bowl, an anthropomorphic medallion also in green stone and many turquoise necklace pieces ornamented with zoomorphic (animal-shaped) motifs (birds and snakes).

Further investigation of this part of the site (down to 230 cm) has unearthed a second structure situated about 1 m from the hearth: a conical pit with a stone wall lining. This yielded a wealth of materials considered to be offerings (ceramic bottles with stirrup handles, ornamental malachite pieces, turquoises with zoomorphic motifs (birds and snakes), stone bowls decorated with anthropomorphic and zoomorphic figures).

Three cavities excavated yielded human bone remains and some extremely poorly preserved textiles (eaten away by acidity in the sediments). These indicate that the structure was a tomb harbouring three successive funerary deposits dating from later stages of settlement (about 200 years later). Large amounts of turquoises and marine shelly fragments found in the three cavities prove that the site's inhabitants maintained relations and made exchanges with populations living further to the west.

Wood charcoals collected in different parts of the site provided the opportunity to perform 14C dating. The dates determined, after calibration and correction, confirmed an early initial occupation of the emplacement, between 4800 and 2150 B.P., and indicated other periods of occupation, thousands of years apart. They constitute the earliest evidence ever found in the upper Amazon Basin for the settlement of any agriculture-based society that possessed ceramics techniques.

These new discoveries confirm the site's vocation as venue for funerary ceremonies where important figures were buried (shown by the richness of the offerings buried and the sophistication of construction). Large gatherings, for important ceremonies, would have taken place, attracting many from neighbouring villages. The architectural complexity and spiral walls embody the paramount symbolic prestige the society invested in them. The diversity and remarkable refinement of the engraved stone objects is a particular feature of the valley where the site is situated, as is the style of ceramic bottles up to now unknown in this region, and assert the fact that this is a fresh discovery. The complexity of the iconography associated with this cultural tradition implies that systematized ideological and religious representations had been developing on the eastern slopes of the Andean Cordillera from the middle of the 3rd millennium B.C. A long-held theory considered that this region constituted an inhospitable natural frontier unsuitable for the development of complex agricultural societies. That is now called into question. By the same token, the abundance of objects made from turquoise plus the discovery in the funerary deposits of fragments of marine shells signal clearly that this society forged relations with other peoples, whether settled nearby or further afield.

The work will continue until the eventual excavation of the entire site that had housed human-built constructions. The objective is to see if there were any different cultural contexts and any other tombs. The circular pit found was probably only one example among several still buried at various points of the site. Research on other parts that have yielded vestiges will aim to locate dwelling structures of the people who gathered there at times of funerary ceremonies.

Moreover, analyses of provenance of materials used are planned, to be done by the CNRS Ernest Babelon Laboratory at Orleans. Also programmed are stylistic comparisons of the objects discovered with the elements found in the South of Ecuador and in northern Peru. Such investigations are likely to prompt a rethink of the nature and age of relationships that existed between the northern and central Andes, as well as of the ways in which the first great Andean civilizations emerged.

In Ecuador, this research work comes under two partnership agreements, signed in 2001 and 2002, with the National Institute of Cultural Heritage (INPC) and the Culture Department of the Ecuador Central Bank (BCE). The field work focuses on two distinctive areas, located in the northern and southern ends of the country (in the provinces of Esmeraldas and Zamora-Chinchipe).

###

For further information

Filmed sequences of excavations with commentary by Francisco Valdez, archaeologist with the IRD: http://www.canal.ird.fr/canal.php?url=/programmes/recherches/valdez/index.htm

Discoveries of July 2003: Scientific news bulletin n°177: http://www.ird.fr/fr/actualites/fiches/

Press release: http://www.ird.fr/fr/actualites/communiques/2003/amazonie.htm

Interview with Jean Guffroy on the first discoveries: http://www.canal.ird.fr/canal.php?url=/programmes/recherches/guffroy/index.htm

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2004-05/idrp-hsa051204.php

'Brazilian Stonehenge' discovered
By Steve Kingstone
BBC News, Sao Paulo

Brazilian archaeologists have found an ancient stone structure in a remote corner of the Amazon that may cast new light on the region's past.

The site, thought to be an observatory or place of worship, pre-dates European colonisation and is said to suggest a sophisticated knowledge of astronomy.

Its appearance is being compared to the English site of Stonehenge.

It was traditionally thought that before European colonisation, the Amazon had no advanced societies.

Winter solstice

The archaeologists made the discovery in the state of Amapa, in the far north of Brazil.

A total of 127 large blocks of stone were found driven into the ground on top of a hill.

Well preserved and each weighing several tons, the stones were arranged upright and evenly spaced.

It is not yet known when the structure was built, but fragments of indigenous pottery found at the site are thought to be 2,000 years old.

What impressed researchers was the sophistication of the construction.

The stones appear to have been laid out to help pinpoint the winter solstice, when the sun is at its lowest in the sky.

It is thought the ancient people of the Amazon used the stars and phases of the moon to determine crop cycles.

Although the discovery at Amapa is being compared to Stonehenge, the ancient stone circle in southern England, the English site is considerably older.

It is thought to have been erected some time between 3000 and 1600 BC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4767717.stm

It is thought the ancient people of the Amazon used the stars and phases of the moon to determine crop cycles.
This has me scratching my head. The Amazon basin is in the tropics (in fact the Equator runs through the northern part of the basin), so essentially has no seasons. So crop cycles need not synchronise with the seasons in the same way they do in more temperate climes.
(Any experts on tropical agriculture out there?)

It's also worth pointing out that if you are actually on the Equator, the sun has two low points in the year - it's lowest to the north of you on June 21st, and lowest to the south of you on Dec 21st. (Other times it is higher, passing directly overhead at noon at the equinoxes.)

And even at the northernmost point of Brazil the sun would still have a northern and a southern low point, although the southern one would be lower.

I look forward to hearing more about this tropical stone circle.

rynner said:
So crop cycles need not synchronise with the seasons in the same way they do in more temperate climes.
(Any experts on tropical agriculture out there?)

Im not an expert, tho i know that in tropical rainforests plant growth happens 365 days a year...

(except leap years and all that jazz)

so why would potential hunter gatherers (as that is what they would be if they lived in the Amazon Basin) be spending their valuable time erecting monuments.

To survive their productivity needs to be high, and hunting and gathering would take up most of the free time they had...surely?

the whole "lining up with the stars and moon and stuff" just doesnt grap me...lets leave that to the phenomenologists...

Even in temperate climes, farmers don't plan their work by the calendar, on the whole, but do things when the conditions are right.

This year Europe has had a very late spring, perhaps a month behind the 'average'. Yesterday I saw farmers cutting grass for silage (does anyone make hay any more?), but I guess they'd have done that weeks ago in a more normal season.

But stone circles do seem to align with the heavens in many ways, so my guess is that this was for research. The purpose of this research is the mystery, though. Was it pure 'scientific' curiosity abut how the heavens move, or was it a religious endeavour?

This tropical stone circle is certainly an important new datum for our consideration.

Well, it does seem as though 'our ancestors' in a myriad of cultures were star watchers. Perhaps further investigation will reveal which stars, planets etc were the prime focus? Religion does seem the obvious choice...also, it would be interesting to 'do' a comparison of stone cutting techniques and so forth with European stone circles.

Here's something from the times which sort of ties in, it's from the same continent at least and relates to early attempts to get cropping and flood dates right.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 18,00.html

Pyramid is giant farming clock
John Harlow, Los Angeles
THE archeologist Bob Benfer will never forget the moment when he realised that a pyramid he had unearthed high in the Andes was the New World’s oldest alarm clock.

On a barren hillside just north of Lima, he had found an observatory more than 4,000 years old that had been built by a lost civilisation with astonishing sophistication.

The oldest astronomical observatory in the Americas, it told farmers exactly when to sow their crops. Its discovery has provided startling clues to the way in which early man learnt to cultivate his fields.

“I was staring up at a statue on a ridge above the temple and realised it all aligned with the stars — it was an amazing moment,” the bearded scientist said last week.

“This alignment meant that at dawn at every winter solstice 4,200 years ago, key stars would appear in line with the temple and alert priests that river flooding was due and it was time to start planting crops. It was laid out as a wake-up call to the community.”

Well, they do get regular floods in parts of the Amazon basin too, but whether that applies where the 'new stonehenge' is I don't know.

But regular floods would influence your planting cycles, as they did in ancient Egypt.

However, floods are a result of weather conditions elsewhere, and their timing will therefore vary somewhat from year to year. So "astonishing sophistication" is not really necessary, just a kind of general indication would do.

Meltwaters run off mountains every spring in temperate climes, but the precise timing will vary at the whim of global conditions.

I must do more research into floods in the (tropical) Amazon basin.

There is a new report here:

Tropical Stonehenge may have been found

By STAN LEHMAN, Associated Press Writer Wed Jun 28, 7:26 PM ET

SAO PAULO, Brazil - A grouping of granite blocks along a grassy Amazon hilltop may be the vestiges of a centuries-old astronomical observatory — a find archaeologists say indicates early rainforest inhabitants were more sophisticated than previously believed.

The 127 blocks, some as high as 9 feet tall, are spaced at regular intervals around the hill, like a crown 100 feet in diameter.

On the shortest day of the year — Dec. 21 — the shadow of one of the blocks, which is set at an angle, disappears.

"It is this block's alignment with the winter solstice that leads us to believe the site was once an astronomical observatory," said Mariana Petry Cabral, an archaeologist at the Amapa State Scientific and Technical Research Institute. "We may be also looking at the remnants of a sophisticated culture."

Anthropologists have long known that local indigenous populations were acute observers of the stars and sun. But the discovery of a physical structure that appears to incorporate this knowledge suggests pre-Columbian Indians in the Amazon rainforest may have been more sophisticated than previously suspected.

"Transforming this kind of knowledge into a monument; the transformation of something ephemeral into something concrete, could indicate the existence of a larger population and of a more complex social organization," Cabral said.

Cabral has been studying the site, near the village of Calcoene, just north of the equator in Amapa state in far northern Brazil, since last year. She believes it was once inhabited by the ancestors of the Palikur Indians, and while the blocks have not yet been submitted to carbon dating, she says pottery shards near the site indicate they are pre-Columbian and maybe older — as much as 2,000 years old.

Last month, archaeologists working on a hillside north of Lima, Peru, announced the discovery of the oldest astronomical observatory in the Western Hemisphere — giant stone carvings, apparently 4,200 years old, that align with sunrise and sunset on Dec. 21.

While the Incas, Mayans and Aztecs built large cities and huge rock structures, pre-Columbian Amazon societies built smaller settlements of wood and clay that quickly deteriorated in the hot, humid Amazon climate, disappearing centuries ago, archaeologists say.

Farmers and fishermen in the region around the Amazon site have long known about it, and the local press has dubbed it the "tropical Stonehenge." Archeologists got involved last year after geographers and geologists did a socio-economic survey of the area, by foot and helicopter, and noticed "the unique circular structure on top of the hill," Cabral said.

Scientists not involved in the discovery said it could prove valuable to understanding pre-Columbian societies in the Amazon.

"No one has ever described something like this before. This is an extremely novel find — a one of a kind type of thing," said Michael Heckenberger of the University of Florida's Department of Anthropology.

He said that while carbon dating and further excavation must be carried out, the find adds to a growing body of thought among archaeologists that prehistory in the Amazon region was more varied than had been believed.

"Given that astronomical objects, stars, constellations etc., have a major importance in much of Amazonian mythology and cosmology, it does not in any way surprise me that such an observatory exists," said Richard Callaghan, a professor of geography, anthropology and archaeology at the University of Calgary.

Brazilian archaeologists will return in August, when the rainy season ends, to carry out carbon dating and further excavations.

"The traditional image is that some time thousands of years ago small groups of tropical forest horticulturists arrived in the area and they never changed — (that) what we see today is just like it was 3,000 years ago," Heckenberger said. "This is one more thing that suggests that through the past thousands of years, societies have changed quite a lot."

Source

Amazon hides an ancient urban landscape
11:22 29 August 2008
NewScientist.com news service
Catherine Brahic

Amazon

Larger towns and villages were surrounded by a ditch, such as this one which is being excavated (Image: Science/AAAS)Advertisement
It could be a case of history repeating itself in the jungles of South America. Huge swathes of the Western Amazon were cleared 600 years ago, though back then it wasn't for logging, it was to make way for an urban network of towns, villages and hamlets.

For the past few decades archaeologists have been uncovering urban remains that date back to the 13th century – long before European settlers had sailed across the Atlantic and discovered the "New World".

This means that decent chunks – some 20,000 square kilometres – of the Western Amazon forest is not, strictly speaking, what could be called "virgin" forest. It is what took over after local cultures were wiped out by European settlers and imported diseases and their towns and villages were left untended.

"In 1993, I went to live with the Kuikuro people," says Michael Heckenberger of the University of Florida. "After a few days, the village chief, Afukaka Kuikuro, took me out to the remains of an earthen wall."

Heckenberger soon realised that the structures which the Kuikuro held to be associated with their gods were, in fact, the remains of their ancestors' cities. He now returns to the area every year with a team of Brazilian and US colleagues to trace the extent of the pre-European settlements with a GPS transmitter in hand.

Town planning
What has emerged from this work is a digital map of two complex and dense urban clusters, right in the heart of the jungle. The clusters are connected by roads and each has a distinct central element. In one case this is a ceremonial plaza; in the other a residential plaza.

The next largest residential centres are 3 to 5 kilometres to the south-east and north-west of each centre; slightly smaller centres are between 8 km and 10 km from the centres, to the south-west and north-east.

Each of these "towns" had its own central plaza and was protected by an earthen wall. They were surrounded by smaller, non-walled residential hamlets.

The towns, villages and hamlets were interlinked by roads, the largest of which followed the direction of the sun at the mid-year solstice.

Return of the forest
Although the team have looked at the detail of just two of these urban clusters, they have found evidence of another 13, covering a total area of more than 20,000 square kilometres – equivalent to the size of New Jersey or Wales.

The researchers estimate the population of each village and town would have been between 250 and 2500, and all 15 clusters could have been home to more than 50,000 people.

What happened to these towns? Some modern Kuikuro villages still stand on original sites, and in these villages the primary, or high-ranking, houses lie south-east and north-west of the central plaza – a similar pattern to the ancient orientation.

It is likely that when European colonisers arrived in South America in the early 16th century, the indigenous population was decimated and urban clusters were abandoned.

Unlike ancient Andean civilisations, the Kuikuro and other indigenous peoples from the Amazon had little stone close at hand. They built with earth and, once they were gone, the forest reclaimed the land, leaving little trace of the once considerable urbanisation.

Altered landscape
The findings raise big questions, says Susanna Hecht of the University of California in Los Angeles.

For starters, it forces a rethink of the long-held assumption that these parts of the Amazon were virtually empty before colonisation. What's more, it shows that the large populations that did inhabit the region transformed the landscape.

"What we find is that what we think of as the primitive Amazon forest is not so primitive after all," Heckenberger told New Scientist. "European colonialism wasted huge numbers of native peoples and cleared them off the land, so that the forest returned."

What, then, did the primitive Amazon look like? That is a mystery, says Heckenberger. It is clear, though, that these large urban clusters reordered the entire landscape.

Research published in January revealed that was has long been thought of as the "original" New England landscape was in fact created by British settlers in the 17th century.

Journal reference: Science (DOI: 10.1126/science.1159769)

Related Articles
Early settlers drained marshy US landscape
http://environment.newscientist.com/article/dn13199
17 January 2008

How cleaning up America dried up the Amazon
http://environment.newscientist.com/article/dn13851
07 May 2008

Amazon people get forest home at last
http://environment.newscientist.com/art ... 217971.700
30 November 1991

Weblinks
Michael Heckenberger, University of Florida
http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/mheckenb/

Susanna Hecht, University of California, LA
Hecht

NS blog: Tribes use GPS and Google Earth in conservation effort
Tribes

Edit to fix links.

We've had pictures showing Atlantis apparently discovered in Antarctica, thanks to satellite technology, tonight, so now, a tale of the possible discovery of El Dorado, thanks to satellites over the Amazon:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/05/amazon-dorado-satellite-discovery

Amazon explorers uncover signs of a real El Dorado

Satellite technology detects giant mounds over 155 miles, pointing to sophisticated pre-Columbian culture

guardian.co.uk, Rory Carroll, Latin America correspondent. 5 January 2010

It is the legend that drew legions of explorers and adventurers to their deaths: an ancient empire of citadels and treasure hidden deep in the Amazon jungle.

Spanish conquistadores ventured into the rainforest seeking fortune, followed over the centuries by others convinced they would find a lost civilisation to rival the Aztecs and Incas.

Some seekers called it El Dorado, others the City of Z. But the jungle swallowed them and nothing was found, prompting the rest of the world to call it a myth. The Amazon was too inhospitable, said 20th century scholars, to permit large human settlements.

Now, however, the doomed dreamers have been proved right: there was a great civilisation. New satellite imagery and fly-overs have revealed more than 200 huge geometric earthworks carved in the upper Amazon basin near Brazil's border with Bolivia.

Spanning 155 miles, the circles, squares and other geometric shapes form a network of avenues, ditches and enclosures built long before Christopher Columbus set foot in the new world. Some date to as early as 200 AD, others to 1283.

Scientists who have mapped the earthworks believe there may be another 2,000 structures beneath the jungle canopy, vestiges of vanished societies.

The structures, many of which have been revealed by the clearance of forest for agriculture, point to a "sophisticated pre-Columbian monument-building society", says the journal Antiquity, which has published the research.

The article adds: "This hitherto unknown people constructed earthworks of precise geometric plan connected by straight orthogonal roads. The 'geoglyph culture' stretches over a region more than 250km across, and exploits both the floodplains and the uplands … we have so far seen no more than a tenth of it."

The structures were created by a network of trenches about 36ft (nearly 11 metres) wide and several feet deep, lined by banks up to 3ft high. Some were ringed by low mounds containing ceramics, charcoal and stone tools. It is thought they were used for fortifications, homes and ceremonies, and could have maintained a population of 60,000 – more people than in many medieval European cities.

The discoveries have demolished ideas that soils in the upper Amazon were too poor to support extensive agriculture, says Denise Schaan, a co-author of the study and anthropologist at the Federal University of Pará, in Belém, Brazil. She told National Geographic: "We found this picture is wrong. And there is a lot more to discover in these places, it's never-ending. Every week we find new structures."

Many of the mounds were symmetrical and slanted to the north, prompting theories that they had astronomical significance.

Researchers were especially surprised that earthworks in floodplains and uplands were of a similar style, suggesting they were all built by the same culture.

"In Amazonian archaeology you always have this idea that you find different peoples in different ecosystems," said Schaan. "So it was odd to have a culture that would take advantage of different ecosystems and expand over such a large region." The first geometric shapes were spotted in 1999 but it is only now, as satellite imagery and felling reveal sites, that the scale of the settlements is becoming clear. Some anthropologists say the feat, requiring sophisticated engineering, canals and roads, rivals Egypt's pyramids.

The findings follow separate discoveries further south, in the Xingu region, of interconnected villages known as "garden cities". Dating between 800 and 1600, they included houses, moats and palisades.

"These revelations are exploding our perceptions of what the Americas really looked liked before the arrival of Christopher Columbus," said David Grann, author of The Lost City of Z, a book about an attempt in the 1920s to find signs of Amazonian civilizations. "The discoveries are challenging long-held assumptions about the Amazon as a Hobbesian place where only small primitive tribes could ever have existed, and about the limits the environment placed on the rise of early civilisations."

They are also vindicating, said Grann, Percy Fawcett, the Briton who led the expedition to find the City of Z. Fawcett's party vanished, bequeathing a mystery and partly inspiring Conan Doyle's book The Lost World.

Many scientists saw the jungle as too harsh to sustain anything but small nomadic tribes. Now it seems the conquistadores who spoke of "cities that glistened in white" were telling the truth. They, however, probably also introduced the diseases that wiped out the native people, leaving the jungle to claim – and hide – all trace of their civilisation.

Well, to be nitpicky, El Dorado was a person, not a city, and he was found and conquered. El Dorado, the Golden One, was the name the Spaniards gave to the king periodically coated in gold dust. His kingdom, at Lake Titicaca, was discovered, conquered, and plundered; but it turned out the gold dust was only applied once a year and then washed off in the Lake, and the take was disappointing. So the idea got around that they must have gotten the right one, and El Dorado traveled from mouth to mouth in FOAF fashion. Lots of conquistadors died miserably in the jungle looking for it, I'm happy to say. La Conquista takes the ambiguity right out of my feelings about the European conquest of the Americas.

Back