• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mediterranean Seabed Skeleton: Sea Monster?

I don’t know if this has already been brought up on another thread, but who the hell’s first choice is a paranormal investigator when you find the bones of a giant sea creature.

https://www.unilad.co.uk/animals/di...sal-sea-monster-that-match-no-known-creature/

And doesn‘t the blue whale grow to about 30m?
Yes a blue whale is the length of 3 double decker buses :p or 29.9 metres

The blue whale (Balaenoptera musculus) is a marine mammal belonging to the baleen whale suborder Mysticeti. Reaching a maximum confirmed length of 29.9 metres (98 ft) and a weighing up to 199 tonnes (196 long tons; 219 short tons), it is the largest animal known to have existed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_whale

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes a blue whale is the length of 3 double decker buses :p or 29.9 metres

The blue whale (Balaenoptera musculus) is a marine mammal belonging to the baleen whale suborder Mysticeti. Reaching a maximum confirmed length of 29.9 metres (98 ft) and a weighing up to 199 tonnes (196 long tons; 219 short tons), it is the largest animal known to have existed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_whale

BTW whoever it was that posted that link a couple of months ago about those Hawaiian shirts (you know who you are) b*stard, i get nothing but ads for them on every site now :hahazebs:

Souleater, these remains are 30m and a blue whale is merely 29.9m, it is clearly a different species.

A fascinating video posted on YouTube of an ancient sea monster / sea serpent skeleton on the mediterranean seabed:

This was discussed in
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/things-that-make-you-go-wtf.26340/page-636
Post #19,079
The consensus was it probably a Blue Whale, the fact its laying on soft sand and the bones are white suggests its not been there that long, could be an oarfish though.

"The giant oarfish is the longest bony fish in the world, with sightings from 13 feet upwards. According to Livescience, the largest giantoarfish ever found was a whopping 36 meters, about 110 feet."

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/08/20/oarfish/

Interesting, thanks, I hadn’t seen that forum discussion. I note the bones, while still articulated and laying in soft stand as you say, had nevertheless been there long enough to disintegrate when disturbed.

These are the remains of a basking shark. The cotton reel shape of the vertebra are quite distinctive. They are made from cartilage rather than bone, hence the soft nature.
The oarfish grows to about 28 feet thought some sightings suggest that some may get much bigger, as much as 56 feet. The length of 110 feet quoted above is a massive exaggeration.

These are the remains of a basking shark. The cotton reel shape of the vertebra are quite distinctive. They are made from cartilage rather than bone, hence the soft nature.
The oarfish grows to about 28 feet thought some sightings suggest that some may get much bigger, as much as 56 feet. The length of 110 feet quoted above is a massive exaggeration.
If the estimates of the size of the remains are correct (30 metres long) that would make it the biggest ever basking shark at almost twice its known length.

"Fun Facts About Basking Sharks Basking sharks are the second largest fish in the ocean, growing to a maximum length of 45 feet (15.2 m)"

https://oceana.org/marine-life/sharks-rays/basking-shark

If the estimates of the size of the remains are correct (30 metres long) that would make it the biggest ever basking shark at almost twice its known length.

"Fun Facts About Basking Sharks Basking sharks are the second largest fish in the ocean, growing to a maximum length of 45 feet (15.2 m)"

https://oceana.org/marine-life/sharks-rays/basking-shark
That's if there was even a size estimate. The narrator of this piece is not thought of highly

From what I could tell, this story took off after it was picked up by the Daily Star (Link-www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weird-news/mystery-diver-spots-remains-100ft-24108483) on May 16. Either they look for clickbait stories like this or they ask for them and pay the tipsters. Note that this video was sent to a paranormal researcher who appears to have no expertise in marine biology.

Paranormal researcher Deborah Hatswell was baffled when she was sent the footage taken in 2017 by a diver who worked in the oil and gas industry.

Sharing the clip on her YouTube channel, she was hoping to look for an answer from her viewers.

Why not ask an actual vertebrate zoologist for an opinion? There is a straightforward process to looking for answers to questions about nature. It should not involve a non-expert questioning a bigger group of non-expert, usually sarcastic, random people of YouTube. Everyone's opinion is not equally valid. She didn't seem to really want an answer as much as attention from a bit of mystery mongering. These hyped non-stories from awful "researchers" pump misinformation into the news stream. The headline is all people take away. The actual answer is hidden too deep for people to discover or presented in a way that people won't actually care about it.

From what I could tell, this story took off after it was picked up by the Daily Star (Link-www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weird-news/mystery-diver-spots-remains-100ft-24108483) on May 16. Either they look for clickbait stories like this or they ask for them and pay the tipsters. Note that this video was sent to a paranormal researcher who appears to have no expertise in marine biology.

Paranormal researcher Deborah Hatswell was baffled when she was sent the footage taken in 2017 by a diver who worked in the oil and gas industry.

Sharing the clip on her YouTube channel, she was hoping to look for an answer from her viewers.

Why not ask an actual vertebrate zoologist for an opinion? There is a straightforward process to looking for answers to questions about nature. It should not involve a non-expert questioning a bigger group of non-expert, usually sarcastic, random people of YouTube. Everyone's opinion is not equally valid. She didn't seem to really want an answer as much as attention from a bit of mystery mongering. These hyped non-stories from awful "researchers" pump misinformation into the news stream. The headline is all people take away. The actual answer is hidden too deep for people to discover or presented in a way that people won't actually care about it.
She sold that to a Japanese TV company for £3000

Its known only from fragmentary remains such as vertebra and skull fragments but when compared with the largest Komodo dragons they yield estimated lengths of 23-30 feet for adults. Ralph Moliner's Dragons in rthe Dust is an excellent overview.
Many of these creatures (like Gigantopithicus) are known only from fragments however in some cases more is discovered years later as with Deinocherius , once known only from its 8 foot arms and wrongly imagined as a macro-preditor.
This skeleton was found on the sea bed somewhere in the Mediterranean. Any ideas what it could be? According to the expert it isn't a whale or an Oar fish. Implies a sea serpent. I lack the knowledge to determine what this could be, but I am certainly curious.

This skeleton was found on the sea bed somewhere in the Mediterranean. Any ideas what it could be? According to the expert it isn't a whale or an Oar fish. Implies a sea serpent. I lack the knowledge to determine what this could be, but I am certainly curious.
It's the cartilage skeleton of a basking shark.

Back