Ancient Viruses Found Frozen In The Tibetan Plateau

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
PUT THEM BACK!

A group of scientists discovered ancient viruses frozen in two ice samples taken from the Tibetan Plateau in China, and most of them are unlike anything ever seen before.

The findings, published Wednesday in the journal Microbiome, came from ice cores taken in 2015 that scientists said began to freeze at least 14,400 years ago.

“These glaciers were formed gradually, and along with dust and gases, many, many viruses were also deposited in that ice," Zhi-Ping Zhong, lead author and researcher at the Ohio State University Byrd Polar and Climate Research Center, said in a statement. "The glaciers in western China are not well-studied, and our goal is to use this information to reflect past environments. And viruses are a part of those environments."

When researchers analyzed the ice, they found genetic codes for 33 viruses. Of the 33, genetic codes for four of them showed they are part of virus families that typically infect bacteria. Up to 28 were novel, meaning they had never before been identified.

Source:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...er-before-seen-viruses-frozen-ice/8042635002/

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Reminds me of Mark Aurel Steins account of excavating a Tibetian outpost fort in Eastern Tibet.

He assumes the garrison was reduced because he found a lot of interesting things in one of the rooms...things that people don't normally leave inside a building.

He estimated the age at about 500 years old but the things were still fresh!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Reminds me of Mark Aurel Steins account of excavating a Tibetian outpost fort in Eastern Tibet.

He assumes the garrison was reduced because he found a lot of interesting things in one of the rooms...things that people don't normally leave inside a building.

He estimated the age at about 500 years old but the things were still fresh!
Please tell us more...

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
For the life of me...long time ago.

I read his writings when I was young, fascinating guy, real genuine old school adventure.

I think the book was his 1904 one, cant recall the title. Was dedicated to his Mother.

(He was that kind of guy.)

Didn't spend much time in Tibet, it was far too cold.

The poo was still smelly and presumably still full of bacteria.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
For the life of me...long time ago.

I read his writings when I was young, fascinating guy, real genuine old school adventure.

I think the book was his 1904 one, cant recall the title. Was dedicated to his Mother.

(He was that kind of guy.)

Didn't spend much time in Tibet, it was far too cold.

The poo was still smelly and presumably still full of bacteria.
'Sand-buried Ruins of Khotan'?

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Probably. it was one of his central Asian ones rather than other areas.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
'Sand-buried Ruins of Khotan'?

One of my favourite things about Sir Aurel Stein is his being accompanied, successively, by seven dogs named 'Dash':

http://idp.bl.uk/education/dash/index.htm

As you can see, Dash 1 AKA Yolchi Beg ('Sir Traveller' in Turkish) is the cutest of the six pictured and the incumbent during the period in question.

Here's a fuller shot:

SmartSelect_20210726-114019_Gallery.jpg

Full scans of book:
http://dsr.nii.ac.jp/toyobunko/VIII-5-B2-5/V-1/

Last edited:

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
I'm all for scientific progress and the quest for knowledge, but really, let's not be effing around with unidentifiable viruses right now, eh? Just in case.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
accompanied, successively, by seven dogs named 'Dash':

Then the seventh son of that Dash - by various Tulpas and a now-forbidden sex-rite - begot Supreme Fortean Mike Dash!

I hope he never looks in . . . :thought:

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Yes, That is something I like about Aurel Stein;

He didnt mess around with dog names

Wolstan Dixie

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
I've just been reading the 1999 FT account of the Tudor 'Sweating Sickness' plagues - no warning, dead in 24 hours, 50% mortality, no cure, no acquired immunity. Finally disappeared completely as mysteriously as it came. Affected middle aged wealthy higher class men predominantly. Still no one knows what it was, but it is hypothesized it may be trapped, viable, in the ice caps - and we all know what is happening to them. God help us - Covid is pathetic compared to it.