• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ancient / Weird Water Deep Within The Earth

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This newly-published Canadian research demonstrates microbial activity without access to oxygen at depths up to 2.4 km beneath the surface.
An update of sorts ... Researchers have continued to dig / drill farther downward in Canada's Kidd Mine, and they've discovered the oldest water known - at least 2 billion years old. This water is surprisingly plentiful and capable of flowing, and that suggests it or similarly deep deposits might also host deep-living microbes.
The World's Oldest Water Lies Deep Below Canada And Is 2 Billion Years Old

Back in 2013 scientists found water dating back about 1.5 billion years at the Kidd Mine in Ontario, but in 2016, deeper investigation revealed an even older source buried underground.

The initial discovery of the ancient liquid in 2013 came at a depth of around 2.4 kilometers (1.5 miles) in an underground tunnel in the mine. But the extreme depth of the mine – which at 3.1 kilometers (1.9 miles) is the deepest base metal mine in the world – gave researchers the opportunity to keep digging. ...

The 2016 source was found at about 3 kilometers (1.9 miles) down, and ... there's a lot more of it than you might expect.

"When people think about this water they assume it must be some tiny amount of water trapped within the rock" ...

"But in fact it's very much bubbling right up out at you. These things are flowing at rates of liters per minute – the volume of the water is much larger than anyone anticipated."

By analyzing gases dissolved in this ancient groundwater – including helium, neon, argon, and xenon – the researchers were able to date it back to at least 2 billion years, making it the oldest known water on Earth ...

In previous research that the team published in October, analysis of the sulfate content of the water found at 2.4 km down showed something interesting – that the sulfate was produced in situ in a chemical reaction between the water and the rock, and not the result of sulfate being carried underground by surface water.

This means that the geochemical conditions in these ancient pools of water that are cut off from the surface could be sufficient in themselves to sustain microbial life – an independent, underground ecosystem that could last for potentially billions of years. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/the-wo...eep-below-canada-and-it-s-2-billion-years-old

"The World's Oldest Water Lies Deep Below Canada And Is 2 Billion Years Old"

I wonder if it would make a nice cup of tea?

A South African site has yielded very ancient water analogous to the Kidd Mine site. The news here is that the water's mineral content - including radiogenic products and considerable hydrogen and helium - may serve as a critical resource in future energy production.
1.2 billion-year-old groundwater is some of the oldest on Earth

Groundwater that was recently discovered deep underground in a mine in South Africa is estimated to be 1.2 billion years old. Researchers suspect that the groundwater is some of the oldest on the planet, and its chemical interactions with the surrounding rock could offer new insights about energy production and storage in Earth's crust.

In fact, Oliver Warr, a research associate in the department of Earth sciences at the University of Toronto in Canada and lead author of a new study about the groundwater discovery, described the location in a statement as a "Pandora's box of helium-and-hydrogen-producing power."

The South African groundwater was also enriched in the highest concentration of radiogenic products — elements produced by radioactivity — yet discovered in fluids, according to the study, demonstrating that ancient groundwater sites may one day potentially serve as energy sources. ...

The gold and uranium mine, known as Moab Khotsong, sits about 100 miles (161 kilometers) southwest of Johannesburg and is home to one of the world's deepest mine shafts, plunging to depths of 1.86 miles (3 km) below the surface at its deepest ...

The new find follows the prior discovery of approximately 1.8 billion-year-old groundwater made during a 2013 research expedition (also led by Warr). That finding occurred at Kidd Creek Mine in Ontario, which lies beneath the Canadian Shield, a geologic structure comprised of igneous and metamorphic rock dating to the precambrian supereon (4.5 billion to 541 million years ago). The Canadian Shield spans 3 million square miles (nearly 8 million square km), and Warr referred to it as a "hidden hydrogeosphere" — an abundance of hydrogen ...

"One of the most exciting parts about this new discovery is that at first we thought the groundwater at Kidd Creek was an outlier," Warr told Live Science. "But now we have this brand-new site located somewhere different with a completely different geologic history that also preserves fluid on a billion-year timescale. It looks like this is a feature of these environments, which represent about 72% of the total continental crust by surface area." ...
SOURCE: https://www.livescience.com/ancient-groundwater-mine-south-africa

Back