And Now—Sport

rynner2

Great Old One
I'm following the cricket ODI and the tennis on the interweb.

But not good news - England, chasing 250, are 145 for 9, and Murray is one set down, and trailing in the second...

:(

rynner2

Great Old One
Well, while we're here, some better news:

Top bombing, Tom! Tom Daley and his Olympic partner pull off the world’s most difficult dive - an incredible 4.5 somersaults in less than 2 seconds
By Ian Stafford
Last updated at 10:27 PM on 29th January 2011

It is a feat of competition diving so difficult it was once thought impossible – but yesterday two British sportsmen pulled off the manoeuvre dubbed The Big Front.

Teenage star Tom Daley and his Olympic partner Pete Waterfield completed four-and-a-half somersaults in under two seconds – the blink of an eye it takes to hit the water from the 10-metre board. And what’s more, they did it synchronised in tandem.

Even to sports fans whose appreciation of diving is limited to comedian Peter Kay’s famous ‘top bombing’ advert, the precision timing and nerves of steel the somersaults demand are impressive.

In just 1.93 seconds, 16-year-old Daley and Waterfield, 29, had to rotate their bodies at speeds of 60mph, while hurtling towards the water at 30mph.

It is therefore little wonder that no British diver had previously achieved the feat in competition. Now the pair believe the difficult dive will give them the edge at next year’s London Olympics. ‘It was scary,’ Daley admitted afterwards. ‘For some time I didn’t want to do it but to get on to the podium in London I knew I had to.
‘There were times in the past when I almost walked away from it. I haven’t been strong enough to incorporate the dives that can get the highest marks. But now I’m beginning to use them in competition.
‘The Big Front is technically and physically very hard. You need to get your timing right at the start because everything happens so fast. I feel very relieved to have done it.
‘It’s gone better in training but that’s not in competition, it’s not in front of an audience and the nerves aren’t there.

Waterfield, Britain’s most experienced diver, admitted his younger partner has pushed him into new territory.

‘When you’re young like Tom, you’re fearless, you just want to get up there and hurl yourself off, but the older you get the more you realise the dangers,’ he said. ‘When a new dive comes along it wows everyone. It pushed me, but the main point is we pulled it off.’

And he admitted: ‘Just because I’m nearly twice his age doesn’t mean Tom can’t teach me things.’

etc...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1CVsivOI6

rynner2

Great Old One
England's tail is wagging - Anderson and Finn have 17 runs each
(which is more than 6 of the higher order batsmen could manage...)

Another 4, and England are 179 for 9.

rynner2

Great Old One
Ha ha! Finn just smacked a six! :D

But that was the final flourish, as he's bowled by Watson.

So the Aussies win the match by 51 runs, which also wins the ODI series. :(

rynner2

Great Old One
I took a break for a shower, and then...

NOVAK DJOKOVIC BEATS ANDY MURRAY TO WIN THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN.

Oh well, it's a fine day. Now I've got time to walk to town for Sunday lunch...

..or I could stay home and watch the FA Cup game on TV! 8)

rynner2

Great Old One
The draw for the fifth round of the FA Cup throws up this (probably) lop-sided pairing:

Manchester United to host Crawley in FA Cup fifth round :shock:

Premier League leaders Manchester United will host non-league Crawley Town in the fifth round of the FA Cup.

Crawley beat Torquay at the weekend to become the first non-league side in the fifth round for 17 years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 381487.stm

GNC

King-Sized Canary
The tennis was really disappointing. How can Murray get to the final of the Australian Open and end up playing a match like that? The nerves must have got to him, it's my only explanation. That said, Novak was terrific today.

linesmachine

Abominable Snowman
gncxx said:
The tennis was really disappointing. How can Murray get to the final of the Australian Open and end up playing a match like that? The nerves must have got to him, it's my only explanation. That said, Novak was terrific today.
I think it's a combination of issues. Firstly, we Brits have a media that big-up these opportunities. At the end of the day Novak was the only finalist to have beaten one of the big two (Nadal) and Murray does have a niggling injury....but Murray quite frankly wasn't aggressive enough. His time will come, but whether or not he needs a proper trainer is up for grabs.

rynner2

Great Old One
High Drama:

47.4 overs WICKET Smith run out 0 - Aus 317-7 (TARGET 334)

New batsman is Steve "Tintin" Smith, he's the non-striker - but he's accompanied by Brad Haddin who's out as his runner. Pulled a muscle or something. Potential for late chaos = HUGE (anyone remember Dan Christian and the last ball of the T20 final when Hampshire won when Somerset didn't know the rules about an injured striker running?). Clarke pushes Anderson's first ball for two, but can only manage a single from the second. (It's Anderson's last over). Smith can't get his first ball past backward point - 17 needed from 15. Smith pushes into the on-side, his runner Haddin isn't quick enough as Finn throws to the bowler's end and without moving, Tintin has been run out!

rynner2

Great Old One
It's all over, but it went to the final over.

I won't give the result so as not to spoil the action for those planning on watching a replay! 8)

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
I watched the start of a football match on ITV and the players exited from under an awning sponsored by HOOTERS. So I suppose that's the end of sexism in that sport then.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Bloody sport.

Can't stand it.

'specially when it ruins my Friday night viewing.

Eastenders is cancelled (so the wife will be annoyed) and no QI (which annoyed us both) because of some damn rugby.

Really? Friday night prime time? BBC1? Two and a half hours of rugby?

Bloody sport.

rynner2

Great Old One
CarlosTheDJ said:

Bloody sport.
Thanks for reminding me! :D

I got especially excited about England v. Wales when my boss was a rather obnoxious Welshman.... :twisted:

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
rynner2 said:
CarlosTheDJ said:

Bloody sport.
Thanks for reminding me! :D

I got especially excited about England v. Wales when my boss was a rather obnoxious Welshman.... :twisted:
Anything to be of service sir.

I assume it's some sort of opening ceremony or summat?

myf13

Devoted Cultist
I think it's the opening match of the tournament rather than a ceremony. I'm not sure that the Six Nations thing goes in for grand opening stuff like some other sporting events.

I'm not overly interested in sport, but always hope Wales win

rynner2

Great Old One
Now, the wimps who play soccer: 8)

Snoods may be banned in football

Goal-line technology, extra assistants and, of all things, snoods are on the International Football Association Board's agenda for their next meeting.
Snoods have been put under any other business for when football's lawmakers meet on 5 March and, to the horror of some stars, may be banned.

Samir Nasri, Carlos Tevez and Emmanuel Adebayor are all fans of the winter fashion accessory.

"We want a debate whether it could be dangerous," said a Fifa spokesman.
"There may be a safety issue - if for example a player was running through on goal and an opponent grabbed his snood, that could pose a potential danger to his neck."

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has claimed snoods help prevent injury to his players, while his Manchester United counterpart Sir Alex Ferguson has banned his players from wearing them.

United centre-back Rio Ferdinand has said on social networking website Twitter: "You won't see a Man Utd player wearing a snood."

Former Old Trafford midfielder Roy Keane is also not a fan of snoods.
He said of players wearing the snood: "They've all gone soft. I don't know how they do it and focus on the game, it's weird. That's the way the game's gone."

On the subject of fashion, Fifa also wants to make sure that if a player wears tights then they are the same colour as their shorts.

The introduction of 'vanishing spray' - which allows the referee to mark out a line a defensive wall from a set piece should not cross - is also up for debate.
The spray is used in Brazil and South America and evaporates after a minute.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9387849.stm

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
myf13 said:
..I'm not overly interested in sport, but always hope Wales win..
They didn't, but it was pretty close run all in all. And TBH, the way they were each playing, given that the World Cup rumbles around in just a few months I don't imagine any of the Southern Hemisphere teams have started getting jittery about either of them - they both just seemed almost wary of doing anything creative.

Lets hope they each settle down a bit. Scotland against France and Ireland V Italy today... the former will be hard work if the French are on form (you can never tell until the day) and the latter could get quite excitable :).

rynner2

Great Old One
It's a funny old game, football.

A game of two halves at Newcastle as Arsenal let slip a 4-0 lead and can only draw! :shock:

Now the agony of waiting for the Man U result; they are 2-1 down to Wolves
- and there's FIVE minutes of added time... :roll:

Woo Hoo!! Wolves win, and Man U have lost their unbeaten record this season. :D

(All England celebrates, apart from half of Manchester... ;) )

So Arsenal, second in the Premiership, actually move a point closer to the leaders.
EDIT:
1927: Wolves, by the way, have now beaten Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Sunderland - five of the top seven - this season. And yet they prop up the 19 other teams in the table. Incredible.

1928: And next up for Wolves? Arsenal away. Yep.
Interesting times ahead!

rynner2

Great Old One
"Without a shadow of a doubt, then, tonight's Match of the Day will be one of the greatest ever. Do not miss it. It starts at 2230 on BBC One and Online, and your running order is as follows...

[If you don't want to know the scores, look away now! :twisted: ]

1. Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal
2. Wolves 2-1 Man Utd
3. Everton 5-3 Blackpool
4. Wigan 4-3 Blackburn
5. Stoke 3-2 Sunderland
6. Tottenham 2-1 Bolton
7. Man City 3-0 West Brom
8. Aston Villa 2-2 Fulham "

rynner2

Great Old One
As I'm now retired and don't have to get up for work in the morning. I thought it might be interesting to watch some of the US Superbowl tonight.

I've watched a bit of American football before, when I was stuck in a Florida motel for about a week, some years ago, but never really got into it.

Part of the problem is that to European eyes the uniforms the players wear look ridiculous. (Tonight both teams were wearing yellow tights :shock: ) The crash helmets are also alienating, especially combined with the wide shoulder pads - it's like watching teams of robots playing, rather than human beings. Plus, there's the fact that these stupid helmets actually increase the risk of injury:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 16#1022716

Then there's the short periods of action, interspersed with adverts and other interruptions - sometimes there seem to be more referees/linesmen on the pitch than players!

'Touchdowns' mostly aren't - the ball-carrier simply runs across the line, and what in rugby would be called conversions are always kicked from the the centreline of the pitch instead of out from however wide the 'touchdown' occurred.

Having recently watched the first three games of the Six Nations Rugby, I know which game I prefer. The one played by humans, with all the blood, sweat (and sometimes) tears on display.

linesmachine

Abominable Snowman
rynner2 said:
Having recently watched the first three games of the Six Nations Rugby, I know which game I prefer. The one played by humans, with all the blood, sweat (and sometimes) tears on display.
I'm a big rugby fan but I do enjoy American football. I also watched some of the SuperBowl and find the short, crunching sessions of play quite exciting....but I do get pxssed off at the number of time outs etc.

It's an odd game. The Packers swapped almost the entire defensive pack when they crossed the half way line, just because they play a different defensive game according to what part of the field the play takes place. Crazy really.

rynner2

Great Old One
Sometimes (or even often) the report of a match in the paper does not match my impression of what I saw live. On last night's friendly between Denmark and England, the Guardian says:
Openings came too readily for the satisfaction of either coach and Capello's men were not secure. That was caused in part by the manager's decision not to have a natural defensive midfielder until Gareth Barry's introduction in place of Wilshere at the start of the second half. Lampard and Rooney also left the field and the match was drained of a little of its vitality.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011 ... l-friendly
It seemed to me the second half was much livelier: in the first half England lacked midfield control and were outplayed by the Danes, who got in several testing shots.

linesmachine

Abominable Snowman
It seemed to me the second half was much livelier: in the first half England lacked midfield control and were outplayed by the Danes, who got in several testing shots.[/quote]

I watched it too and the ITV commentators would clearly have agreed with you; the second half was much better for England than the first. I was surprised Wilshere was pulled off (*cough!*) at half time, I love the fact he can both tackle as a defensive midfielder AND run at the defence. But Rooney was average at best and it's him that I really want to see improvement in as an England fan.

rynner2

Great Old One
RIP

Cricket mourns England Test great Trevor Bailey

Cricket is mourning former England Test player Trevor Bailey, who died in a fire at his home aged 87.

England and Wales Cricket Board chairman Giles Clarke praised Bailey's "enormous contribution to the game".
And he also hailed him as "one of the finest all-rounders this country has ever produced."

Bailey played 61 Tests for England during his playing career and later was a member of the BBC Test Match Special Commentary team for 26 years.

Posting on social network site Twitter, BBC cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew said: "Desperate news re. Trevor Bailey. Dogged batsman, aggressive bowler. Intelligent cricketer. Wonderfully concise pundit. Great sense of humour."

Bailey spent his entire first-class career with Essex, captaining the side in the 1960s and going on to serve as club secretary.
Former team-mate Doug Insole, now president of the club, said: "Trevor was a great friend for well over 60 years. We played football and cricket for Cambridge University and were colleagues in the Essex side for about 15 years.
"In the England team in the 1950's Trevor was a tower of strength - a great all rounder with a cast iron temperament. He was one of a kind and a very sad loss to his many friends."

Bailey scored 2,290 runs and took 132 wickets for England during his Test career and was a member of the side which won three successive Ashes series against Australia in 1953, 1954-55 and 1956.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket ... 393503.stm

rynner2

Great Old One
One of the best things about sport is the sense of fair play and sportsmanship that it engenders in players and spectators alike - or not!

City act to cool derby tensions by removing anti-United site
Club heed police warning and take down groundsman's Facebook page, while Richards set to be fit but De Jong still 50/50
By Ian Herbert, Northern Football Correspondent
Friday, 11 February 2011

Manchester City sought to defuse an embarrassing and inflammatory pre-derby incident last night, in which a member of the club's groundstaff posted anti-Manchester United messages on his Facebook page.

City have been working all week to maintain a sense of decorum heading into the first Manchester derby since 1968 in which both clubs are contenders for the title, heeding Greater Manchester Police requests for Carlos Tevez's contribution to the pre-match debate to be limited.

However, United fans detected the Facebook page run by 31-year-old groundsman Ged Coyne under the avatar "F*** MUFC" yesterday. The page included a barrage of invective against United.

In one of the last posts before the page was taken down, Mr Coyne said the 159th derby was taking place "at the theatre of complete tosspots – manchester united scum 1-3 Premier League Champions-elect Manchester City. We're City, F*** United!"

The temperature leading into the lunch-time fixture had been raised by suggestions that former United defender David May was using a charity event in Manchester this evening to commemorate 35 years since City last won a trophy. May has since insisted that his joke had been misinterpreted and expressed disappointment that the event had now been cancelled.

Mr Coyne's Facebook page seized on the news that the event would not be taking place. "This was due to the fact that Manchester is completely blue and the fact that fans were [going to] burn the s***hole down as well," it read.

City immediately ordered that the page be taken down and have issued guidance to all staff, reminding them of their responsibilities in social networking. City are also keen to ensure that their fans desist from chants about the 1958 Munich air crash in another derby that is close to the anniversary of the disaster.

etc...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 11033.html

rynner2

Great Old One
I just watched the Arsenal - Barcelona game. What a nail-biter! Two quality passing teams playing their best - end to end stuff.

Good attempts on goal too - goals had to come.

But it was a clean game as well - no real nasty tackles, dives, or argueing with the ref. Quite a classic encounter.

Arsenal hearts sank when Barcelona got the first goal (and an away goal) in the first half, but Arsenal came on strong at the end and won the leg 2 - 1.

Phew!

rynner2

Great Old One
Jack Wilshere is the midfielder we have been waiting for
Arsenal scoured the world for a player like Jack Wilshere but it turns out he was in Hitchin all along

Arsène Wenger has roamed the earth for footballers who can pass like Xavi or Andrés Iniesta. For a long time he may have thought English youngsters were good only for giving the ball away or getting into scrapes in nightclubs. Imagine his surprise, then, when he found what he was looking for in Hitchin, a Hertfordshire town from where Valerie Singleton went on to present Blue Peter – a show Jack Wilshere has not long grown out of.

In French academies and African villages Wenger has pursued players capable of executing his vision of what football should be: a game of pace, skill, fluidity, adventure. But all he had to do was motor north from the club's training ground at London Colney to a heartland of suburban Arsenal support. There he found the most gifted young English midfielder since Paul Scholes, who made his debut for Manchester United at the age Wilshere is now.

The difference is that Scholes padded on to the scene in a League Cup match at Port Vale while Wilshere, at 19, already appears indistinguishable from Barcelona's two best midfielders, who took silver and bronze behind Lionel Messi in Fifa's world footballer of the year award. In Arsenal's 2-1 victory over Pep Guardiola's team Wilshere could have worn the livery of either side, such was his range of passing, his courage in demanding the ball in tight spots, his confidence and sense of belonging.

The two compatriots who bear comparison from the last 25 years are Scholes and Paul Gascoigne, who crashed the picture with Newcastle shortly before his 18th birthday, against QPR, in April 1985. Scholes was a small bundle of dexterity and toughness who still lacked the physical dimensions to convince United's coaching staff he would fully make the grade. Gascoigne was more of a maverick: brilliant but troubled, blessed but wayward.

This is where Wilshere's story veers off into its own sparkly realm. A Premier League debutant at 16 years and 256 days, the Stevenage-born but Hitchin-raised Wilshere won his first England cap at 18 years and 222 days and has already played 48 times for Arsenal.

Gascoigne was granted the freedom to self-destruct. Scholes had to fight his way through a thicket of selectorial challenges. At various times in his early years Mark Hughes, Eric Cantona, Roy Keane and Juan Sebastián Verón all stood in his way. Scholes is a majestic player who has had to accommodate or work around rival talent more than we appreciate. In the end his class and loyalty paid dividends. At first he was seldom in command of his own destiny, as Wilshere is now.

In the aftermath of Arsenal's thrilling counter-drive one witness pointed out that Barcelona may forget Cesc Fábregas next summer and come calling for Wilshere instead. Normally, hype fixes itself on a young striker who announces himself with a rash of goals, or a zesty teenage winger who smears full-backs on toast. This time, though, praise is being stacked up for a young English conductor in the hardest position of all: a fresh face with the full repertoire of short and long link-play, balls round the corner and probing passes delivered on the run, like Steven Gerrard at his best.

etc...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog ... re-arsenal

Let's hope his promise is fulfilled. :D

linesmachine

Abominable Snowman
Wilshere has awesome vision. I was watching him against Barcelona and when he gets the ball he always seems to charge at the defence but keeps his head up looking for all possibilities. Shame he plays for Arsenal, my team Yeovil town could do with someone like him but to be honest we'd struggle to find a place for him in an all ready high quality midfield....ahem.

rynner2

Great Old One
FA Cup 5th Round: Manchester United v Crawley
Today on ITV1 from 4:35pm to 7:15pm

Crawley became the first non-league team in 17 years to reach this stage of the FA Cup when they won at Torquay - and landed the ultimate prize of a visit to the home of Premier League leaders Manchester United. Boss Steve Evans says Crawley are the only non-league team capable of beating United, an assertion that may well be tested to the full on the day. Adrian Chiles presents live from Old Trafford with Crawley-born Gareth Southgate and Gordon Strachan.

I expect a large proportion of viewers will be hoping for a giant-killing act!

:D