And Now—Sport

GNC

King-Sized Canary
In contrast the men's singles final at Melbourne was a real disappointment. Though not if you're a Novak fan. Totally one-sided. He says he's going for Federer's GOAT title and he'll probably get it on that form. Boo.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Is there a duller, more tedious game than American football? According to the Wall St Journal, the average game which lasts 60 minutes takes 3 hours 12 minutes to play out & the time the ball is active is 11 minutes!

The average play lasts 4 seconds & there are 20 commercial breaks containing more than 100 ads, consisting about one third of the game time.
I gave the superbowl a go last night & watched the first quarter before giving up. In that time there was more chat & standing around than actual play.

The ball was kicked once during this period. It should really be re-named handball as there's very little foot action apart from running & standing on them. Not much skill evident either apart from throwing, running & catching, plenty of brute force intercepting followed by bumping helmets - ooerr. It's for people who like razamatazz & eating & drinking with the odd 4 seconds of action to watch now & again. Dreadful.

Rant over.

Sad and disturbing news.

A fire has torn through the sprawling training complex of one of Brazil's biggest football clubs, killing 10 people and leaving three teenagers injured, firefighters said.

Crews were called just after 5am to the Ninho de Urubu training ground of the Flamengo club in western Rio de Janeiro, a fire official said. There was no word on the cause of the fire. The ages and identities of those killed were not released but the three injured were 14, 15 and 16, the fire official said. The injured were taken to local hospitals and their conditions were not immediately known, said the official.

Local media reported that the fire started in a dormitory where youth players sleep. The fire official said that could not be confirmed.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...an-football-team-complex-kills-10-903110.html

Peripart

Antediluvian
Is there a duller, more tedious game than American football?
There's baseball (or rounders, as the rest of the world knows it). Also horse racing, boxing... only my personal opinions, I'm not stating facts! I agree with you on gridiron, though.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
You'd be hard pressed to find another ball game taking in excess of 3 hours to play out in which the ball is in play for so little time.

Yes baseball or rounders as you correctly say, is another less than fascinating sport. As is basketball - ball goes one end, usually score, ball goes other end, usually score, repeat ad nauseum.

In Texas Fantasy Football is taken seriously.

A man in Arlington, Texas, who came in last in his Fantasy Football League had to do a very nutty thing as punishment: Walk around a dog park covered head to toe in peanut butter.

Steven Shrout, 25, had never played fantasy football before this year, but decided to join a league with some high school friends who had been playing together since 2009, according to WFAA-TV. “It was my first year, and I didn’t do any kind of studying at first. I just kind of jumped in,” Shrout told the station.

He was dogged by bad luck from the beginning when his top draft choice, Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell, ended up sitting out the entire season. As a result, Shrout was given the choice of paying $250 to the winning person or perform a humiliating stunt.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/dog-...cid=newsltushpmgnews__TheMorningEmail__022119

Trevp666

Ephemeral Spectre

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Is there a duller, more tedious game than American football? According to the Wall St Journal, the average game which lasts 60 minutes takes 3 hours 12 minutes to play out & the time the ball is active is 11 minutes!

The average play lasts 4 seconds & there are 20 commercial breaks containing more than 100 ads, consisting about one third of the game time.
I gave the superbowl a go last night & watched the first quarter before giving up. In that time there was more chat & standing around than actual play.

The ball was kicked once during this period. It should really be re-named handball as there's very little foot action apart from running & standing on them. Not much skill evident either apart from throwing, running & catching, plenty of brute force intercepting followed by bumping helmets - ooerr. It's for people who like razamatazz & eating & drinking with the odd 4 seconds of action to watch now & again. Dreadful.

Rant over.
The last time I tried to watch it was in the 80's .. it was starting to look good and then they all stopped playing .. again and again and again .. then it struck me (not the ball) that this all reminded me of something. Dungeons and Dragons table top gameplay. Most of you reading are old enough to remember but for those who aren't, all of your little figures were stationary, the dice were rolled and then a games master would whip out a ruler to see how far you could or had travelled. And I've also always wondered why the U.S. call the game football for the same reason hunk, the only reason I can imagine is that they're too embarrassed to admit they're playing a mixture of rugby and dungeon and dragons so have instead nicked our name of football .... and if we could please rename our sport of football 'soccer' so any confusion can be avoided, that would be appreciated.

One thing in American football that you can't say in favour of what other countries including the UK call football/soccer is that they're game doesn't seem to be so revolved around sneaky diving and fouling cheating which is admirable (unless I'm wrong?).

As we're Fortean though, I'm sure someone here will correct me by stating the Chinese invented football three thousand year ago or something similar.

Last edited:

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Slight crossover here! :)

The link was re history of American Football!

Don't get me started on our football being invented by the Chinese - simply had to be invented here in Scotland. Don't care what, 'history' says otherwise... :mad:

Post that link again - any joy this time?

https://www-history-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.history.com/.amp/news/who-invented-football?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE=#aoh=15512599758580&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.history.com/news/who-invented-football
I'm getting a 'this site uses cookies' page and my only option is to hit 'agree' .. then I get a 404 page but thanks for retrying anyway bud.

An old pro.

An Israeli footballer has entered the record books after becoming the world's oldest player to take part in a professional game at the age of 73.

Isaak Hayik set the record by playing as a goalkeeper for Israeli team Ironi Or Yehuda on Friday afternoon.

Despite his advanced years, Hayik said he was "ready for another game" after playing for the full 90 minutes.

He received the Guinness World Records prize at a ceremony after the match, just days ahead of his 74th birthday.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-47835245

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
F1 practice session 1 in Azerbaijan

slightly surreal listening to it on the radio. First an unsecured manhole cover cripples George Russell's Williams...

and then the recovery vehicle towing it back to the pit goes into one bridge, and manages not to hit a second on pit lane entry.

Charlie Whiting, you are sorely missed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/48065053

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar