And Now—Sport

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Congratulations to Rafael Nadal who has won the French Open a record 12 times. Gonna take a long time for anyone to beat that.

skinny

Antediluvian
Just watching last night's ICCWC game at Brum between the Kiwis and the Seffers. New Zealand were in a commanding poz at 1/79 chasing only 242 and then Guptill stepped on his stumps, silly boy. Now NZ are 4/85 and very wobbly indeed. Could be some excitement in this yet.

Looking forward to tonight's game between Oz and Bangladesh. Have never see a Bangla team before. Should be an easy rubber for our cheating Aussies.

Anybody else here still into 1 day cricky? If not the Ashes starts in August. See you back here then.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Congratulations to Andy Murray, winning the doubles at Queen's today, really promising comeback. But even more congratulations to Feliciano Lopez who won FIVE CONSECUTIVE MATCHES on the same court over two days. And he's elderly in pro tennis terms, too. Amazing feat.

skinny

Antediluvian
Congrats Ash Barty on being only the second Australian woman to take top spot in International tennis. The other was also Aboriginal _ Evonne Goolagong in the early 70s.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Never crossed my mind that Ash was aboriginal! But I hope she manages at least another slam, the women's game is so inconsistent at the moment, we could do with some big stars to replace Serena.

skinny

Antediluvian
Just watching last night's ICCWC game at Brum between the Kiwis and the Seffers. New Zealand were in a commanding poz at 1/79 chasing only 242 and then Guptill stepped on his stumps, silly boy. Now NZ are 4/85 and very wobbly indeed. Could be some excitement in this yet.

Looking forward to tonight's game between Oz and Bangladesh. Have never see a Bangla team before. Should be an easy rubber for our cheating Aussies.

Anybody else here still into 1 day cricky? If not the Ashes starts in August. See you back here then.
Oh. OH!

Insufferable o'clock ~ :cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:
Australia crushes England at Lord's by 64 runs to send Cricket World Cup statement

Allow me: Booooooo.

:rollingw::rollingw::rollingw:

HAAAAhaaaahahahahahahaha..... AAAAAhahahahahaha.. Oh happy day.

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
Jeļena Ostapenko and Johanna Konta both playing at Eastbourne this week.

Ostapenko plays in an interesting bold style, but never quite seems to have lived up to her 2017 French Open trophy.

Konta played like an absolute beast at the French Open earlier this month but then got all nervy in her semifinal and went out in two sets.

Be interesting to see how they both perform.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Karolina Pliskova unstoppable at Eastbourne today, but she didn't seem too optimistic about Wimbledon! You never know, Karolina...

skinny

Antediluvian
Seems we have our finalists for the cricket WC - India and the mighty Oz. I hope we can turn the tables on them in the final. It'll be an epic battle. One for the ages. Then ... bring on the Urn.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
So much for the next gen at Wimbledon. I did feel sorry for Naomi Osaka, though, that press conference where she was on the verge of tears was painful, she's not coping with success very well.

Oh, I tell a lie - we do have a new star, Cori Gauff, fantastic against Venus Williams this evening. It was like Venus playing her younger self.

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
Seems we have our finalists for the cricket WC - India and the mighty Oz. I hope we can turn the tables on them in the final. It'll be an epic battle. One for the ages. Then ... bring on the Urn.
Woe unto those whose campaigns peak to soon :)

Sad news.

The body of Swiss footballer Florijana Ismaili has been found, days after vanishing following a swimming accident at Lake Como in Italy.

The 24-year-old was declared missing on Saturday after jumping into the lake from a boat and failing to resurface.

Italian rescue services said her body was found at a depth of 204 metres on Tuesday.

"I am deeply saddened and shaken. It's hard to accept that Flori is gone," said Swiss women's boss Nils Nielsen.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48851151

GNC

King-Sized Canary
No offence Australians, but seeing Nick Kyrgios get knocked out of Wimbledon by Rafael Nadal was enormously satisfying. Although he calmed down in the second half, in the first Nick was spitting at Nadal, pulling faces at him as he served, hurling abuse at the umpire, and even hit a ball straight at Nadal with an idea it might injure him.

The sorry thing is, he's a very good player when he forgets about the massive chip on his shoulder. As Boris Becker said, he's glad this grudge match was settled on the tennis court and not in a barfight.

skinny

Antediluvian
seeing Nick Kyrgios get knocked out of Wimbledon by Rafael Nadal was enormously satisfying.
Don't worry, we all feel exactly the same about the cockhead as everyone else in the world. I'm glad he lost. He deserves to be dropped from all professional tournaments for his shitty attitude. He needs professional help to deal with his obvious mental problems.

Even more glad to see Tomic the Tank Engine out. He, again, deliberately tanked his match and has just been fined his entire round 1 fee for not playing to the standards of the tournament. The pair of them are the not just the most arrogant negative wankers in Australian sport, they're global champions at it. We'd ALL prefer to see them gone forever. They've had enough chances.

Go on Ash Barty. She's an athlete we can hang our sporting pride on all day every day. Little trooper.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Ash can make Australia proud, you're right.

But making America proud must be Cori Gauff, what a match this evening! Incredibly tense, she looked like she was out of it for the first half, but she was just warming up. I do worry she's being hyped too much at only 15 years old (remember Jennifer Capriati), but she certainly shows promise. Into the second week at that age is amazing.

skinny

Antediluvian
at that age is amazing.
Sure didn't we say the same about the 17 year-old Sharapova in 04 when she trounced Serena in the Final? One of the most incredible performances I've ever seen by a teenage girl. These kids are made of strong stuff. Coco is the new Venus. She's the spit of her .I hope she makes a semi at least.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Coco should talk to Ash, there was an interview with her today where she seemed sooo level-headed and had a great philosophy of success in the tennis world. Just before she demolished Harriet Dart this afternoon.

Anyway, what a day, Johanna Konta struck back against Sloane Stephens [SEXIST]who I think is the most beautiful player on the tour at the moment[/SEXIST] and she's into the second week. Andy Murray teamed up with Serena Williams and they seem to be reviving interest in the doubles tournaments all by themselves. My heart went out to Dan Evans, though - so close!

I'll be feeling a bit lost over the next 24 hours or so until they all come back...

skinny

Antediluvian
Kiwis likely about to beat India in the first semi of ICCWC2019. I'm stunned, shocked and amazed. But Dhoni's still there. India 122/6 in the 34th needing 240 to win. It's still on.

skinny

Antediluvian
Un. Be. Lievable game of cricket. Kiwis bowl India out with 3 balls to spare to win by 18 and go into the Final. Went right down to the wire. Superb sport.

Now to tomorrow's semi between England and Australia. My money's on the Aussies to win and take NZ in the final.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Currently getting antsy over Djokovic/Goffin.

And congratulations to Konta a) for getting as far as she did and b) biting back at an inane journalist. Who does the journalist work for? I want to make sure I don't buy it fo r a while!

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Un. Be. Lievable game of cricket. Kiwis bowl India out with 3 balls to spare to win by 18 and go into the Final. Went right down to the wire. Superb sport.

Now to tomorrow's semi between England and Australia. My money's on the Aussies to win and take NZ in the final.
Real edge-of-the-seat stuff and tomorrow's will be absolutely nerve-wracking.
Hopefully a partisan home crowd might just swing it for us!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Currently getting antsy over Djokovic/Goffin.

And congratulations to Konta a) for getting as far as she did and b) biting back at an inane journalist. Who does the journalist work for? I want to make sure I don't buy it fo r a while!
I was wondering that myself, what an arse that guy was. Didn't seem to understand the concept of an "off day", which every professional player has at some points.

Anyway, sad to see Murrina go out, but you can't say they weren't entertaining and it was lovely to see how much they enjoyed each other's company. Rog and Rafa semi-final! Sounds good enough for the actual final.