And Now—Sport

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Serena/Simona final on Saturday, wouldn't like to predict the outcome of that one. As an aside, maybe it's because MAD Magazine has been in the news recently, but for me Simona Halep does bear a striking facial resemblance to their mascot, Alfred E. Neuman.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Wow, what a match that Federer/Nadal one was! As everyone predicted, good enough for a final. Watch out Novak, Roger's on his way...

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Simona Halep AMAZING this afternoon, Serena went in the favourite but she was totally outplayed - in under an hour! As John McEnroe said, there are some times when these players are in the zone and everything goes right, and that certainly happened today. And what a sweetie she is!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Ouch, the Wimbledon Gentlemen's Singles Final yesterday. Two championship points missed! Roger must be kicking himself even now. It was so tense I ended up with a migraine (though I do find it absurdly easy to develop a headache). Roll on 2020!

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Ashes starts today. Is there any interest in some sibling rivalry here at all (I am a proud Australian)? The friendly jibing can be fun, and your mob look to have the momentum. This is my favourite international sporting comp. I hope the series has some ticker.

Gentleman. Play up play up and play the game.

Go the baggy green!

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Woe unto those whose campaigns peak to soon :)
You were right, Cochise. Good call. How do you see the Ashes going?
Aussies are 3/35 in the second hour. England are bowling full and straight - very good idea on any English wicket. I fear our own bowlers are too thick to take note and will, as usual, throw it over their heads and waste the day away. England has a better bowling attack, even without Archer. This series might be our worst result yet, but there's time for the lads to grow into their comfort zones. 5 tests.

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
123/8
Full and straight. There's tons of movement through the air and off the seam.
Pathetic show from Australia. They have not attacked once. Piss weak.

Now Peter Siddle is in. He's an old school digger who can destroy an attack on his day. Come on, Pete!!

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
You were right, Cochise. Good call. How do you see the Ashes going?
Aussies are 3/35 in the second hour. England are bowling full and straight - very good idea on any English wicket. I fear our own bowlers are too thick to take note and will, as usual, throw it over their heads and waste the day away. England has a better bowling attack, even without Archer. This series might be our worst result yet, but there's time for the lads to grow into their comfort zones. 5 tests.
Well, that was a lesson for England in failing to seize your opportunities. And the much vaunted middle order achieved fuck all very little.

Thoroughly enjoyed Steve Smith's batting . He is one of the best ever. I'm so sorry he got drawn into that sandpaper nonsense. Too amiable to be a captain, I expect.

From here on England have a real cliff to climb - batting and bowling both showed serious weakness.

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Well, that was a lesson for England in failing to seize your opportunities. And the much vaunted middle order achieved fuck all very little.

Thoroughly enjoyed Steve Smith's batting . He is one of the best ever. I'm so sorry he got drawn into that sandpaper nonsense. Too amiable to be a captain, I expect.

From here on England have a real cliff to climb - batting and bowling both showed serious weakness.
Methinks Lord's will be a more balanced affair. I like Archer to get through the Aussie tail - a task the Brum bowlers struggled with. But yes, Smudge proved his class yet again. He copped the ugly English crowd antics pretty sweet and showed his grace, as did the other two, more culpable participants in the Australian shame of the century. I congratulate any English fans for their determined hatred in the face of a very friendly approach from Australia. That's some hardcore malice. The Aussies let it go through to the keeper. Well done. Humbled but not bowed. My goodness it was some kind of turnaround, wasn't it.

Even Warner, the instigator, has begun to win back my respect, even though he was roundly defeated on the pitch. Bancroft I have never had any feeling for. Shocked he got picked, tbh.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08...d-of-conduct-during-first-ashes-test/11397384
No sandpaper in my dacks, guv. Honest.

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
Methinks Lord's will be a more balanced affair. I like Archer to get through the Aussie tail - a task the Brum bowlers struggled with. But yes, Smudge proved his class yet again. He copped the ugly English crowd antics pretty sweet and showed his grace, as did the other two, more culpable participants in the Australian shame of the century. I congratulate any English fans for their determined hatred in the face of a very friendly approach from Australia. That's some hardcore malice. The Aussies let it go through to the keeper. Well done. Humbled but not bowed. My goodness it was some kind of turnaround, wasn't it.

Even Warner, the instigator, has begun to win back my respect, even though he was roundly defeated on the pitch. Bancroft I have never had any feeling for. Shocked he got picked, tbh.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08...d-of-conduct-during-first-ashes-test/11397384
No sandpaper in my dacks, guv. Honest.
[/QUO
Sandpapergate I always felt was like a kid's prank. Warner the insensitive instigator, Bancroft the eager kid wanting to prove he was one of the big boys, and Smith the mate not realising what the consequences would be.

I wouldn't boo them, although I disliked Warner before it all came up. In fact it might have done him good - he was a colossal arse before, now he seems to have tempered his behaviour.

Let's just enjoy the cricket. And may the best team win.

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
may the best team win.
If anybody reading this thinks the loss of Smudge makes an Aussie fail inevitable, you don't know how the Australian cricket team feel about their spiritual leader. Watch and learn, lads. Watch and learn.

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
I'ma go out on a limb here and give a crickit predkxshn. If the aussies get the poms out for less than 290 ahead before tea, look out. Prince Joffrey will make his everlasting name. Whether that means England win or lose is anybody's guess. This is old school Test cricket. I haven't seen this level of Australian spirit since 2006/7. The pivotal man in session 1 was Ben Stokes. My admiration for himself has grown throughout this northern summer. He's the HEART of England.

Our captain, Tim Paine, is an inexperienced capytain. He did not attack yesterday or this morning. Smudge would have had a cup of 4 or 5 slips for both bowlers. He'd have had this side out by now.

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Now England goes conservative in attack. only 2 slips. Warner hits a boundary from his first ball. The game is ON!

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Draw. It was engaging at times. Notch one up for England's weather. Bring on Headingly and Mitchell Starc.

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
There is one indefatigable truth to Test cricket - Australian fast bowlers are as thick as mud.

Attack the stumps, and eventually you will break through. Bowl wide or short and you are done for. Thick as two stumps.

England will win this game easily. Not a brain between the lot of our bowlers. So frustrating!

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
England will win this game easily. Not a brain between the lot of our bowlers. So frustrating!
I'm amazed. The boys went for the stumps and we're poised to win. Only Stokes can save this. 76 runs and one wicket. Full and straight, boys. Full and straight. It's ours. Retain the Ashes in England for the first time since 2001.

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
Come on, Australia!!
It's gripping stuff, isn't it? I'm supposed to be preparing for a training course which starts tomorrow, but instead I'm frantically refreshing the guardian coverage. Stokes is working miracles out there.

ETA I've realised, belatedly, that the TMS feed is on youtube, so I can actually listen to it.

Last edited:

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Glorious. I'm a very proud Aussie, but I am so happy to see this competition result fairly. The teams battled to the enth. My boys were immature. The English showed their bottle. Ben Stokes is the heart of the England venture. He's won two massive comps for England now. The WC and 1-1 in The Ashes. I'm a massive fan of Stokes. He is England.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Congratulations Bianca, and congratulations Canada on your first Grand Slam winner! What a tense second set, but Serena will have to wait for her 24th, if indeed it ever arrives. That's like the fourth women's Grand Slam winner in one year. No consistency - will Bianca have staying power?

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Great win for Bianca. She stood the pressure and that win will stay with her for life. Great sporting contest and great to see a new kid handle such pressure. She should go far.

Congrats too to the Aussie Test squad on retaining the Ashes in England for the first time since I don't know when.