And Now—Sport

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Amazing men's singles final at the US Open last night. After Rafa won the first two sets, I was ready for bed, then - wait a minute, Medvedev gets the third! And the fourth! They're calling it one of the greatest grand slam finals ever, and I wouldn't disagree, it was totally riveting. They kept up the top quality for nearly five hours, tennis players really are superhuman (and no wonder there are so many injuries). Anyway, bravo Rafa, one away from equalling Roger!

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Yes. By running a specially prepared course with kerbs removed and kinks straightened out, and running non-competitively with a team of 'pace' runners assisting him, and a laser line to show the required pace, and motorbikes delivering water to him. And I think it was all downhill too (I made that bit up)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Still better than I could do with all that assistance!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Yes. By running a specially prepared course with kerbs removed and kinks straightened out, and running non-competitively with a team of 'pace' runners assisting him, and a laser line to show the required pace, and motorbikes delivering water to him. And I think it was all downhill too (I made that bit up)
I think he was just trying to prove it could be done.
In a competitive race, it can't be done.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I think he was just trying to prove it could be done.
In a competitive race, it can't be done.
It wasn't all downhill but both the location and time of year was chosen for the right climatic conditions – temperature, humidity and wind etc. I think it's a fantastic achievement.

To put it in context, his best time before this, in race conditions, was the equivalent of running 100m 422 consecutive times at an average of 17.3 seconds; this time it was 17.08 seconds each time. Even with the special shoes, pacemakers, the whole lot – I think that puts it in perspective, says the man with a marathon PB of 4.30 and a half-marathon PB of 1.33. I'm not sure I could actually run 100m in 17 seconds these days.

It's astonishing, a totally and utterly astonishing achievement.

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Congratulations to Sir Andy Murray for winning his first championship since his operation. Exciting match! He was obviously overcome with emotion, which was nice.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
On Friday I went to the bookmakers for the first time in six years (a fiver on Chris Froome's first Tour de France win; I also bet on Wiggins' win) as I'm a very occasional gambler - about 8-10 bets in 16 years and I'm in profit. Honest. And Saturday? A fiver accumulator on the rugby quarter finals: England, NZ, Wales and SA; and a fiver treble on NZ, Wales and SA. So the last few minutes of Wales-France was very tense! As for what I win? Not much - the odds were a very poor 3/10, 2/11, 2/5 and 1/8...

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
If you haven't seen this, personally, it made me laugh. The Yorkshire Haka (apologies to any Kiwis for an awful cultural appropriation) :

skinny

Class of 1984
Reaction score

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Congratulations to Sofia Kenin on winning the Australian Tennis Open, although she seemed more like a bratty teenager than a young woman in her 20s! Still, excellent play, but Muguruza basically handed it to you in that final set. Anyway, yet another Grand Slam winner in the women's game in about ten years.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
One of the reasons my bosses like me at work is that I take responsibility for my mistakes - no excuses. Unlike Deontay Wilder. Apparently he wasn't hurt by Tyson Fury (who gave all his winnings to a homeless charity) in spite of having his eardrum broken, being knocked down twice and looking as if he was about to be knocked into a different realm of consciousness when his team threw in the towel. No, it was the 40lb costume that he choose to wore into the ring! Ha ha ha. To say I'm not entirely convinced by that is an understatement...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...mes-ring-walk-outfit-knockout-loss-tyson-fury

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
There would seem to be a simple solution - don't wear stupid shit before a boxing match. It looked preposterous & he got properly tonked.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Whilst I think Wilder's heavy outfit would have wasted precious energy to wear, his loss was more to do with fighting a heavy handed Fury who went for it from the first bell.
And that Wilder had a leg injury in training.

But also a strong rumour that Wilder weighed 221lb four days before the fight, his camp were worried and made him eat loads, so he officially weighed in at 231lbs the day before the fight.
He looked as if he had some fluid retention too, his face looked unnaturally "puffed out."
If true, I do not think that gaining 10lbs in three days is beneficial to athletic performance.

Last edited:

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I'd have thought a gruelling fight would need a sustained preparation regime over a period of weeks/months. Trying to alter something fundamental 4 days before a fight is leaving it late. He certainly seemed to lack sustained energy. Maybe they were worried about the size difference between them.

Boxing is one of my guilty pleasures. You know you shouldn't like it but... What I don't like is a one sided pummelling. What made the fight fascinating is, though Fury won all the rounds & was clearly a much better technical boxer & mover as well as being a big hitter in his own right, Wilder always had the potential to connect with a haymaker which could win it for him in an instant. Full marks to Fury for his approach & avoiding this. He was always on the front foot. I hadn't realised what a good mover he is for a big man.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
We don't seem to have any thread devoted to extreme sports, so I though I'd post this here.

Just watched the French documentary "Magnetic" on Netflix.

It gives you a real in-your-face and up-close look at the appeal of extreme sporting activities, with a common theme of tackling the elements.

It features awe-inspiring surfing of some insanely high waves, paragliding down mountains perilously close to the terrain, skiing down almost vertical slopes etc.

The action and landscapes are quite stunning.

Utterly compelling - if you like to be reminded of what a wimp you really are!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9458116/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
He's also a bit of an anti-vaxxer in his spare time.
And yet he wonders why people don't love him as much as Roger and Rafa. Now Goran Ivanisevic has it!