• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anglesey Flying Ship (1743)

Hot_Cross_Nun

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I came across this account in "The Shell Guide to Wales", by Wynford Vaughan-Thomas and Alun Llewellyn, originally published in 1969 by Michael Joseph Ltd. It's under "Holyhead" in the Gazetteer section of the book.

Quote:

"Near the town of Holyhead lies Peibio, the scene of a recurrent phenomenon, well confirmed by contemporary evidence, that perplexed the sages of the 18th century, as much as it does those of our own day.
Some time in 1743, Lewis Morris, an experienced mining engineer, master of many languages and eminent antiquarian, had a report from Anglesey. This was made by a farmer whose steading lay near Peibio, a little place only a stone's throw from Holyhead. "Plowing" (as it was written) "with his servant boy in ye fields", he saw bearing down upon him a ship of 90 tons, rigged like a ketch, with its fore-tack at the cat-head and its pennant and "antient" flying. The day was described as indifferent and cloudy, but the detail of the ship could be clearly seen. It was "coming from ye mountains of Snowdon", not by sailing on the waves around Holy Island, but moving "about a Quarter of a mile High from ye Ground". The farmer called his wife. She ran from the farmhouse in time to see the ship in the sky retreating, its pennant lowered to the deck and all sails furled. It was steering "stern foremost", making for whence it had come, the mountains of Snowdonia.
Lewis Morris was not a man to leave such a thing unconfirmed. He hastened to Holyhead and interviewed first the wife and then the husband, separately. Neither had any doubt about the circumstances. The wife had not acquaintance with sea terms, but was quite sure of what she had seen; her only doubt was what the neighbours might think if she allowed Lewis Morris to publish the affair. Lewis Morris found the husband at an inn, visiting Holyhead on farm business. He had no doubt that the man was sober and sincere, with no trace of the "melancolick" disposition that might have led him to exaggerate or imagine. The ship had been plain to see, exact in every detail; the keel could be observed from below; the sails were distended with the wind; when the foresail was lowered it hung in a natural way over bow. In the end a cloud hid the vessel from sight, but not before the farmer, his wife, and his boy had had their observation supported by a flock of birds that assembled to examine the phenomenon and flew round it from all directions. When the vessel began its backward journey, the birds with one accord flew from it northwards in the opposite direction.
What finally persuaded Lewis Morris was the way in which the farmer - whose name, William John Lewis, is worth recording - assured him that he had seen another such ship exactly ten years earlier in much the same place, and that, ten years before then again, he had seen just such another.
The ships were in each case very like the old packet-boats that plied between Holyhead and Ireland; the very ropes of the rigging could be counted one by one. Lewis Morris was afraid that this series of phenomena foreboded some great calamity, and he strove to remember events corresponding with the ten-year intervals. His letter about this matter is hurried, not to say startled, and is either written from or addressed to the Ship Hotel in Dolgelley (as he spells the name of the town).
What attracts the modern inquirer is the recurrence of the visitation at such regular dates. No explanation can be found in early attempts at balloon travel; the first aeronaut to use this means was Montgolfier, and he did not make his first flight until fifty years later. The modern method of communication between earth and outer space is by flying saucer; and the appearance of these vehicles is also at regular intervals of ten years. It seems that extra-terrestrial visitors move with the times and have abandoned "Holyhead Packuet boats" for more advanced methods of flight. But, since the hill at Holyhead is the only height in Anglesey to face the distant loftiness of Snowdon, some trick of refraction may have been responsible for picking up vessels plying the Menai Straits and setting them, pennant and antient and all, to steer the skies above Peibio."

Does anyone have any more information? My Googling has failed to come up with anything.

Reminded me of something...

There's some stories about medieval flying ships some way down in this article by Daev Walsh.

At:
http://www.blather.net/archives/issue1no24.html

I'd heard a couple of the these stories before, but my copy of Dimensions is in storage, and I don't think I have FT:54.

The major problem with these stories is that they're from secondary sources and the versions flying round the net are copies of these or even copies of copies...

Sounds like some optical trick.

I have been to Holyhead several times. Anglesey is rolling but compared to Snowdonia very flat. The only height is the mountain on holy island. You can see snowdonia 40 miles away over the menai straits very clearly though.

Anglesey is a great place even if its unlike Snowdonia. it has some great secluded beaches and if you ever get a chance to visit, do so.

That lighthouse walk nearly killed me.
Ooooh, where's me legs? ;)

The Blather Archive page mentioned an Irish variation on the old story about a flying ship getting its anchor tangled up in a church.

The accounts of the story I've come across before always place it in Gravesend, Kent , in 1211. During Sunday mass at an unnamed church, the congregation were distracted from their worship by the sight of an anchor falling from the sky and entangling itself around a tombstone. The villagers rushed outside and saw that the anchor was attached by a rope to a huge ship in the sky. A man emerged from the ship and shimmied down the rope, presumably to retrieve the anchor, but upon seeing the villagers he thought better of it and climbed back up to the ship, where he cut the rope and freed the ship which drifted away.

I wonder if there are any more regional variations on this tale? I guess it was something of a Medieval urban myth which did the rounds.

I guess it was something of a Medieval urban myth which did the rounds.

I love the idea of Medieval urban myths - I'd never thought about it in those terms before, but of course, all people in all times must have had, and will have, their myths. ;)

However, the fact that the account is attributed to Lewis Morris made me take it more seriously. Lewis Morris certainly doesn't come over as gullible or a fantasist. There's a brief account of his life here on the National Library of Wales site:
http://www.llgc.org.uk/drych/drych_s017.htm
Of course, being an "antiquary, literary scholar, philologist, mineralogist, customs officer, land surveyor and hydrographer" wouldn't prevent anyone from being fooled, misled or lied to.

I favour Homo Aves's optical trick theory, (but please don't ask me to explain how it works!)

Coppertop said:
I favour Homo Aves's optical trick theory, (but please don't ask me to explain how it works!)
Might that then be not so much a theory as a label? A theory might say "It's an optical trick because -" and then proceed to give an account of a mechanism. A theory tries to explain a type of event, whereas a label tries to explain it away.

Dr X said:
Might that then be not so much a theory as a label? A theory might say "It's an optical trick because -" and then proceed to give an account of a mechanism. A theory tries to explain a type of event, whereas a label tries to explain it away.

It could be a variety of mirage:

http://virtual.finland.fi/finfo/english/mirage.html#shif
On April 20, 1999 an ordinary freighter was plying the waters of Finland's south-western archipelago. But what Pekka Parviainen saw on that day was anything but ordinary. The ship turned up in a number of different shapes; sometimes there seemed to be two ships, one of the pair upside down. Luckily Pekka had brought his video camera with him. Here is part of his footage for you to enjoy. On a day like this Finland is full of mirages!

The description of the Anglesey ship makes it sound as if it was something more solid though.

This "flying house" shows the sort of effect possible.

Austen said:
It could be a variety of mirage:
OK, that's a theory. :cool:

Thankyou for the links to the mirage photos, too. Amazing!

There's a problem with your theory, though, quite apart from your concession that the Anglesey ship sounds like a different type of phenomenon. The photos you offered as evidence, as spectacular as they are, show two images in each mirage, one upright and whole, the other inverted and partial. That just doesn't square with the account of the Anglesey ship as originally given by Coppertop. Therefore we can't reduce the Anglesey ship to your mirages.

Those photos are amazing, though. <still gawking>

Dr X said:
The photos you offered as evidence, as spectacular as they are, show two images in each mirage, one upright and whole, the other inverted and partial. <still gawking>

This diagram from Wisconsin University seems to show how an image of a ship below the horizon might appear in the sky:

http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~avery/course/3400/atmosphere/mirage_sup_diagram.gif

The day was meant to be cloudy, perhaps it was an example of "looming":

http://www.sandlotscience.com/Mirage/mirage1.htm
Mirages associated with water are sometimes called Fata Morganas. They act the opposite of desert mirages. In this case the water is much colder than the air above and creates a boundary layer. A famous Fata Morgana often seen in the Straights of Messina creates a lens effect that can distort distant objects vertically. Sometimes conditions in misty or foggy weather, often at sea, can create atmospheric lens effects which magnify distant objects both horizontally and vertically. This causes the phenomena known as "looming."

More accounts of (and poems about) Ships in the sky here:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2386/is_v109/ai_21250632
The annals say: when the monks of Clonmacnoise

Were all at prayers inside the oratory

A ship appeared above them in the air.

The anchor dragged along behind so deep

It hooked itself into the altar rails

And then, as the big hull rocked to a standstill,

A crewman shinned and grappled down the rope

and struggled to release it. But in vain.

"This man can't bear our life and will drown,"

The abbot said, "unless we help him." So

They did, the freed ship sailed, and the man climbed back

Out of the marvellous as he had known it (Heaney 1991, 62).
There are eight pages of legends and accounts here.

I didnt seek to explain anything other than the geography of the area...

I came across this account in "The Shell Guide to Wales", by Wynford Vaughan-Thomas and Alun Llewellyn, originally published in 1969 by Michael Joseph Ltd. It's under "Holyhead" in the Gazetteer section of the book.

Quote:

"Near the town of Holyhead lies Peibio, the scene of a recurrent phenomenon, well confirmed by contemporary evidence, that perplexed the sages of the 18th century, as much as it does those of our own day.
Some time in 1743, Lewis Morris, an experienced mining engineer, master of many languages and eminent antiquarian, had a report from Anglesey. This was made by a farmer whose steading lay near Peibio, a little place only a stone's throw from Holyhead. "Plowing" (as it was written) "with his servant boy in ye fields", he saw bearing down upon him a ship of 90 tons, rigged like a ketch, with its fore-tack at the cat-head and its pennant and "antient" flying. The day was described as indifferent and cloudy, but the detail of the ship could be clearly seen. It was "coming from ye mountains of Snowdon", not by sailing on the waves around Holy Island, but moving "about a Quarter of a mile High from ye Ground". The farmer called his wife. She ran from the farmhouse in time to see the ship in the sky retreating, its pennant lowered to the deck and all sails furled. It was steering "stern foremost", making for whence it had come, the mountains of Snowdonia.
Lewis Morris was not a man to leave such a thing unconfirmed. He hastened to Holyhead and interviewed first the wife and then the husband, separately. Neither had any doubt about the circumstances. The wife had not acquaintance with sea terms, but was quite sure of what she had seen; her only doubt was what the neighbours might think if she allowed Lewis Morris to publish the affair. Lewis Morris found the husband at an inn, visiting Holyhead on farm business. He had no doubt that the man was sober and sincere, with no trace of the "melancolick" disposition that might have led him to exaggerate or imagine. The ship had been plain to see, exact in every detail; the keel could be observed from below; the sails were distended with the wind; when the foresail was lowered it hung in a natural way over bow. In the end a cloud hid the vessel from sight, but not before the farmer, his wife, and his boy had had their observation supported by a flock of birds that assembled to examine the phenomenon and flew round it from all directions. When the vessel began its backward journey, the birds with one accord flew from it northwards in the opposite direction.
What finally persuaded Lewis Morris was the way in which the farmer - whose name, William John Lewis, is worth recording - assured him that he had seen another such ship exactly ten years earlier in much the same place, and that, ten years before then again, he had seen just such another.
The ships were in each case very like the old packet-boats that plied between Holyhead and Ireland; the very ropes of the rigging could be counted one by one. Lewis Morris was afraid that this series of phenomena foreboded some great calamity, and he strove to remember events corresponding with the ten-year intervals. His letter about this matter is hurried, not to say startled, and is either written from or addressed to the Ship Hotel in Dolgelley (as he spells the name of the town).
What attracts the modern inquirer is the recurrence of the visitation at such regular dates. No explanation can be found in early attempts at balloon travel; the first aeronaut to use this means was Montgolfier, and he did not make his first flight until fifty years later. The modern method of communication between earth and outer space is by flying saucer; and the appearance of these vehicles is also at regular intervals of ten years. It seems that extra-terrestrial visitors move with the times and have abandoned "Holyhead Packuet boats" for more advanced methods of flight. But, since the hill at Holyhead is the only height in Anglesey to face the distant loftiness of Snowdon, some trick of refraction may have been responsible for picking up vessels plying the Menai Straits and setting them, pennant and antient and all, to steer the skies above Peibio."

Does anyone have any more information? My Googling has failed to come up with anything.

Brilliant tale.

Apparently the following is an earlier source:

Y Cymmrodor, Vol. 49, Part 1, 1947 The Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion, London, England. pg. 239.​

Would love to read it.

I like his conclusion:

That God shews his power when he thinks proper, & most Commonly to shepherds and Ignorant people, to the Confusion of Great wise men... [all sic]

Back